JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Atlas URC 1056 Not found in RMIR w/ Prolific USB SOLVED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDE12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Atlas URC 1056 Not found in RMIR w/ Prolific USB SOLVED Reply with quote

I've been working with my Titan URC 2056 remotes in RMIR's 2.13.0/.1/.2 with no issues but I cannot get RMIR to find the Atlas URC 1056. I set these remotes up with this cable but yesterday I only got it to find the Atlas once. I might have tried 30 different combinations of things (restarting PC with cable, restarting PC with cable and remote attached...) and have no clue what got RMIR to find it. The CBL button flashes during a download attempt. The cable is a USB with a female 6 pin like this cable. I am not sure what specific type of cable it is but it has worked with both the 1056 and 2056 in the past. I would appreciate some help on troubleshooting this.

Last edited by DDE12 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the USB cable is FTDI? Where did you get it?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable in your picture has no visible indication of which is pin 1. Are you sure you have plugged in the cable the right way round? Have you tried both ways round, to make sure? If that is not the problem, have you tried a raw download?
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted a raw download with the cable in both directions and did not have any success. There is a little bump in the cable that I use as a guide to direction. When the bump is on the right, the CBL button flashes during download attempt, but does not when the bump is to the left. Conversely, for the Titan 2056, the bump must be to the left to communicate with RMIR. I am not sure if it is FTDI. The board has TAIO on it. I use this driver. I would have purchased it from one of the recommended ebay links or DIY Gadget. After working through this, I think it is a Prolific chip. I used checkChipVersion_v1006 found through DIYGadget.com and it indicates there is a PL-2303 XA / HXA chip.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remotes all use a Samsung S3F80 chip which should work with a Prolific cable with all versions of RMIR. RMIR v2.13.2 includes jp12serial v0.30 which works with the Prolific chip on remotes that earlier versions did not work with, but that should make no difference for your remotes.

You say you set the Atlas 1056 up with that cable. Did it work reliably with that cable at that time? How long ago was that? Do you remember what version of RMIR you were using? I am not aware of any change that could make a difference, as the Atlas model is so old that it should even work with IR.exe, but it might help to know the RMIR version you were using. I should then be able to provide you with the jp12serial version from that time, to see if it makes a difference. My suspicion, however, is that there is a problem with the cable, not with our software.
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't remember what version of RM I used for the Atlas. Two of my 3 Atlas remotes are used regularly with no problems. I tried them in RM 2.12 and it didn't find the remote. I tried RM 2.0.0 and the option Download to Remote in the Remote Menu is grayed out. ?? If I open an old rmir file I made for this remote in RM 2.13.2, is there a way to find the version it was created with?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
If I open an old rmir file I made for this remote in RM 2.13.2, is there a way to find the version it was created with?

Unfortunately not. That is perhaps a feature that I need to add, but at present it is not there. Do you remember roughly when it was created, or do you still have the original creation date visible in File Explorer?

Regardless of that, a current .rmir file of the setup you are having this problem with would be very helpful. [Edit: Sorry, that is a silly thing to say - if you can't connect, you can't create a current file, so ignore this remark Embarassed ]
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those files were restored from a backup recently (deleted the wrong folder) Mad but a some had dates in the filename. I opened one (in 2.13.2) with an ir extension dated 10.13.14 which had "(RM v2.02 Beta 1.5w)" in the description of all the upgrades. I don't know how it got there or if it is accurate but there is no way I wrote it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That info makes sense, RM v2.02 was under development around that time. It would have included jp12serial v0.20, which was released on June 26, 2014. I have posted jp12serial v0.20 again here for you to test.

This is a zip file containing all the binaries for that version. In RMIR v2.13.2 open Help > About and scroll to the bottom to see the entry "Libraries loaded from ...". That tells you where jp12serial is being loaded from. Close RMIR, then temporarily replace the jp12serial file in that folder with the corresponding one from jp12serial020.zip. Re-open RMIR and look again in Help > About to see that it says JP1.X Serial version 0.20 in the list of interfaces. Now try downloading your Atlas 1056 to see if that makes a difference, and report back here.

I do not have one of these remotes, but I have an RCRP05B which, like the Atlas, is a JP1.3 remote and have tested downloading it with a Prolific cable to make sure that there is no inherent error in the current jp12serial with that combination. It worked fine, with both v0.30 and v0.20 of jp12serial so I will be very interested to hear what happens with your Atlas.
DDE12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with v0.20 but that did not work. If the cable was the problem, do you know why it would work with the Titan 2056 but not the Atlas 1056? I also tried my old OFA 8910 and it would not download either.
I ordered an FTDI cable and requested an M20-1070300 cable housing (the 2x3) "sample" from Harwin. I'll test that when I get all the parts.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
If the cable was the problem, do you know why it would work with the Titan 2056 but not the Atlas 1056? I also tried my old OFA 8910 and it would not download either.

JP1.3 remotes like the Atlas 1056 and JP1.4 remotes like the Titan 2056 use the RTS signal on pin 2 in different ways, even though they both use the same Samsung processor. It is possible that a poor connection on this pin would have a greater effect on one of these remote types than the other. You did have one success with the Atlas, if I read your first post correctly, so a poor connection could account for that. That is all that I can think of.

The URC-8910 is an original JP1 remote, so would not work with the JP1.x cable without a JP1 EEPROM Adapter so that is not relevant here.

If I am right about it being a poor connection that is the problem, it could be in the Atlas remote and not the cable but I think it much more likely to be in the cable. I will be interested to hear what you find when you get your new FTDI cable.
DDE12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I had to replace the shrink wrap recently and that might have caused a problem. I will attempt to resolder the connections on the chip this weekend but I have, at best, a 1% success rate at electronic soldering. I have attempted a download with 2 of my Atlas remotes with the same results. I'll try with the third on the current setup and see what happens there. I will report back with the new cable and possibly the resoldered Prolific, if I succeed.
DDE12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FTDI cable is working with the Atlas 1056 and the Titan 2056 (or vice versa). I have not attempted to "repair" the Prolific cable and might not because of my lack of skill. Thank you for the advice.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the FTDI cable works with both remotes. It does support my belief that the problem with the Prolific cable is a poor connection. I too have poor soldering skills and would not attempt to repair a faulty cable, so best to leave well alone now that you have a fully-functioning cable.
DDE12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
JP1.3 remotes like the Atlas 1056 and JP1.4 remotes like the Titan 2056 use the RTS signal on pin 2 in different ways, even though they both use the same Samsung processor. It is possible that a poor connection on this pin would have a greater effect on one of these remote types than the other. You did have one success with the Atlas, if I read your first post correctly, so a poor connection could account for that. That is all that I can think of.

That makes for frustrating troubleshooting.

I should leave well enough alone, but that's one of my weaknesses. Plus I can hear the cable quietly talking to me when I'm trying to sleep, "You need to fix me. Get your soldering stuff. It's in the drawer in the tool chest..."

Thank you for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: