JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IrDA vs CIR - learning function on the remote control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: IrDA vs CIR - learning function on the remote control Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
IRDA is a technology that is solving a completely different problem from the one we are dealing with in this forum, called Consumer IR. It is essentially extinct from modern devices.

Other technologies, but with IrDA you can control the device. I use IrDA (bluebox like in this picture -> link) and Remocon-con app on Win95:

Remocon-con use same Custom code and Data like RCExplorer detect original remote control with LIRC device e.g. MENU button on LG remote 04 43:

I have a problem.

I bought the HL-1166E universal remote control with learning function, but I cannot teach it the signal sent by IrDA from Remocon-con. I also tried WAV through a sound card and two IR LEDs but it also doesn't work.
Why the HL-1166E remote control does not recognize the IR signal from IrDA while the TV device recognizes it without any problems? Sad

The HL-1166E remote only learning codes from other remote controls.

Interestingly, RCExplorer does not recognize codes 04 43 send from IrDA Confused Confused
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: IrDA vs CIR - learning function on the remote control Reply with quote

In the late 1990-ties and the early 2000s, many laptops and PDAs (for example Dell Axim 51v), came with IrDA hardware, but with no CIR hardware. It was natural that some people wanted to "misuse" this hardware for sending (possibly also receiving?) CIR. This had at least some success. I recall one German firm, (whos name I do not recall) that made a driver they licensed to the firm Promixis, used in their Win-Mobile program NetRemote on the Dell Axim (and others?). It worked reasonably well for sending, but for no known (published) reason, that firm decided they did not want to license their driver any more...

A major incompatibility is that the IR used by IrDA has 890 nm wavelength, while CIR uses 940-950nm.

So, yes IrDA hardware can be tweaked at least send some CIR, at least in some cases. Just as a knife can be used as a screwdriver...

I am not aware of anyone who has been receiving CIR with IrDA hardware, possibly there is.

Quote:
I have a problem.

I bought the HL-1166E universal remote control with learning function, but I cannot teach it the signal sent by IrDA from Remocon-con. ...
Why the HL-1166E remote control does not recognize the IR signal from IrDA while the TV device recognizes it without any problems? Sad

Probably the signal is slightly off the specifications (for example the wave length), but the TV has higher tolerance than the learning remote.

Quote:
I also tried WAV through a sound card and two IR LEDs but it also doesn't work.
There are many threads about this in the forum... Short version: not a very good idea.

I am not aware of a tool called RCExplorer. How do you use that with Lirc?
jzef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: IrDA vs CIR - learning function on the remote control Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

I am not aware of a tool called RCExplorer. How do you use that with Lirc?

I use this only for detect IR remote Protocol, Adr and Cmd with serial receiver (purple) from old SkyStar2 PCI DVB-S card:
jzef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCExplorer, however, recognizes the signal from IrDA if I change the distance between the transmitter and receiver or change the Puls Length Adjust option in the Remocon-con program settings.

I need other IR (CIR) transmitter to learn my universal remote control HL-1166E.

Which transmitter is the best?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this together with IrScrutinizer.
jzef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzef wrote:
Interestingly, RCExplorer does not recognize codes 04 43 send from IrDA Confused Confused

No, no no - that's not true. RCExplorer recognizes codes sent from Irda under one condition - the distance of the IrDa transmitter from the receiver must be approx. 2 m. The same thing I noticed when receiving the signal on the Arduino - please take a look at this topic of mine:
https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/viewtopic.php?p=19672090#19672090

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: