JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR window resizing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: RMIR window resizing? Reply with quote

Hey Graham,
I just opened up the RMIR file that 110220Volts posted and I just noticed that, when I'm looking at the learned signals timing summary, I can't resize the set burst codes box, so I can't see the full bursts. Would it be possible the make this resizable? Meaning, I would grab the side of the box and slide it over to the right? It looks like the bar between the burst pair and coding headings is supposed to be movable, as I can grab it, but it doesn't move.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26284

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, please try development build 2.12.11 that I have just posted to the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. The timing summary was added by Vyrolan a long time ago and it seems that he had set the minimum and maximum widths to the same value. I have adjusted that and it now works fine for me. Let me know if it works OK on your system too.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham, that worked, I can now move the divider bar between the Burst Pair and Coding columns. I think it might be useful if you could also grab one of the bars between the Set Burst Codes box and the Timing Summary box. I don't need it right now, so absolutely no rush if you decide to do that, I think we're just spoiled and we're used to being able to re-size everything. Smile

Here's something else I've noticed when playing around with re-sizing the screen, when you're in the Learned Signals tab of RMIR, if you make the screen too small, the buttons at the bottom start disappearing (from the right). Whereas I think it would be better if they wrapped around instead. I know I have been puzzled on occasion wondering where the Timing Summary button is, then I'll remember that I have to make the screen bigger to see it. The Devices, Protocols, Macros, Fav/Scan and Special Protocols tabs also drop the buttons.

Checking the Activities tab, I see these buttons do wrap around but the bar at the bottom of the screen stays the same size, so you can't really reach the Move Right button when it wraps. The bar should get deeper when the buttons wrap.

The Favorites tab is more interesting, most of the buttons wrap nicely here, except when the screen is small enough for the Icon button to wrap it drops behind the New button and is pretty much blocked, I don't see a way to scroll to get to it. The buttons on the General tab do wrap but they end up being blocked by the User Notes section.

Switching over to the pop-up RM (ie, editing a device upgrade from RMIR), the lowest row of buttons disappear off to the right as the screen shrinks, this is true for all tabs. On the Functions tab, the next row of buttons upwards do wrap but end up blocked by the lower row of buttons. In External Functions and Layout, the 2nd row disappears. In Buttons, they wrap and get blocked.

In the stand alone version of RM, obviously there is no lower line of buttons, but the next line of buttons behaves the same as above.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I thought the wrapping issue would be very difficult to solve, but I think I may have solved it in 5 minutes as it looks as if there is a common origin of the issue in all the panels concerned. Please try RMIR v2.12.12 which I have just posted in the same RMIR Development folder. I have left build 11 there as well, as build 12 is really just for you to test. I've only had time for a very quick test myself, so please try all the places you have found that have this issue and let me know what you find. (This message took longer to post than the issue did to solve, if the fix works Smile ).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping it would be. RMIR looks almost perfect, except on the Favorites tab, the Icon button can still get hidden behind the New button, but you really have to shrink the screen to make it happen.

For RM (from RMIR), the line of buttons at the bottom still don't wrap, they appear to continue off frame.

Functions, Buttons and Layout tabs wrap, but get hidden behind the bottom row of buttons.

External Functions they disappear.

On stand alone RM, it's the same as above except the wrapping buttons get hidden behind the bottom of the screen rather than the RMIR buttons.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the detailed report. I'm not surprised that there are cases not covered by the one fix I made. I will look into those separately and see what I can do about them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
OK, thanks for the detailed report. I'm not surprised that there are cases not covered by the one fix I made. I will look into those separately and see what I can do about them.

But don't break out too much of a sweat over them though, I was distorting the app quite a bit to get those results.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, please try RMIR v2.12.13 which is in the same RMIR Development folder. I am aware of a few very extreme situations in which it does not behave as I would wish, and one strange one where there appears to be a transition point at which the wrapped buttons do not show, but make it a little bit smaller again and they reappear, but I don't think it worth the effort to try to sort them. I've given this a reasonable test, see how it behaves for you. If I've missed something that still doesn't work, please say so. While I am doing this it would be nice to make it all as consistent as possible.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is 99% perfect now Graham. The main thing that I'd still like to see, if it's possible and not too much work, is I'd like the various boxes in the Timing Summary screen to be re-sizable. I'd like to be able to grab the vertical line between Set burst codes and Timing Summary to move it, and the horizontal line between Set burst codes and Select Display.

Back to the resizing, the only small things that I still see are:
1. In the RMIR/RM screen, while the lower line of buttons do wrap now, I notice that their limit is 4 deep, then they go off frame again. I don't think this is worth doing anything with.
2. In RMIR, all the tabs wrapped perfectly, except Activities where they still drop behind the memory usage bar at the bottom.

3. In the stand alone RM, there appears to be no lower limit to the size of the display remote, whereas there does appear to be such a limit in the RMIR/RM version. So, if I shrink the screen as small as possible, the display remote becomes microscopically tiny. That in of itself is not the problem, the thing is, when I then make the screen normal size again, the display remote remains tiny, it doesn't expand to the larger screen. It doesn't expand in RMIR/RM either, but it doesn't get so tiny there.

Here it is, shrunk to tiny

And here's the screen brought back to normal

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the situation on your further points. First the three numbered resizing issues:

1. It isn't acually a limit of 4 deep, it is that the buttons are in two sets, a left and a right set. Each wraps independently. The problem arises when both have wrapped so that there is only one button of each set on the top line and they are pushed further so that the two top buttons collide. Then they go off the sides of the display. I cannot see any way to handle this even if you thought it worth while to do so, so that gets left as it is.

2. Sorry, I missed that one. Easily fixed.

3. I have no idea why there is different behaviour in RMIR and stand-alone RM. It is supposed to be running the same code. What is the issue with the tiny image not resizing automatically? You can grab the divider and resize it manually to how you want it. I can't make shrinking and re-expanding the width of the entire panel return the divider to its original position, but I can make re-expanding the width of the panel also expand the width of the image to some extent. However, I don't see the benefit of this, as you would still need to move the divider manually to get it back to how you want it. What would you like me to do?

Now for the dividers in the Learned Signal Timing Summary. It would be difficult to make them moveable as you suggested, as that would require a complete rewrite of the way that Vyrolan has constructed the panel. If I understood why you want to move them, I might be able to meet that some other way. I see no point in moving the horizontal divider between "Set burst codes" and "Select display" unless you are going to have so many burst pairs that they don't fit in the top part, and if that happens then you get a scroll bar that lets you see them all anyway. I'm not sure about the vertical divider, either. As far as I can see, you are never going to need to increase the width of the left panel as the data can't be wide enough to make this necessary. So do you want to shrink it to make the Timing Summary panel wider? I could probably arrange a button to hide the left panel so that the Timing Summary gets the full width to itself. So can you let me know what it is that you are wanting to achieve?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Makes perfect sense, no need to fix it.
2. Cool
3. No worries here either because yes, the user can manually make the remote image big again. My recommendation would be to have a minimum remote size, like there is in the RMIR/RM version, but it's not worth spending too much time trying to track down why there's a difference, unless curiosity gets the better of you.
4. I don't have any need to resize here either, it's just what I would expect to be able to do, so if there had been a single flag that needed changing, I would say go for it, but it's definitely not worth a re-write, so leave this as is.

Thanks for playing along, this was fun.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
My recommendation would be to have a minimum remote size, like there is in the RMIR/RM version, but it's not worth spending too much time trying to track down why there's a difference, unless curiosity gets the better of you.

Well, curiosity did get the better of me Smile . It turns out that the difference is not between RMIR and stand-alone RM. Instead, it depends on which remote you are looking at. The minimum size occurs only with the XSight Touch/Color and Nevo, which have a Page panel above the remote image. No page panel, no minimum size.

I think I have fixed that now to give a minimum size for all remotes. So please try RMIR v2.12.14 which is in the usual place. This also fixes the wrapping for the Activities panel.

Quote:
Thanks for playing along, this was fun.

For me, too Smile .
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looks good now Graham, well done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: