JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slingbox news
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Slingbox news Reply with quote

I don't use Slingbox, but this might be of interest to people who do:
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/slingbox-discontinued-services-sunsetting.434097/#post-2964225
chuliu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since sling is shutting down server starting Nov 2022, I am looking for alternative to slingbox. I can't do with iptv, due to the delay. Sling-like products have more channels to choose, in terms of Japan TV.

I was told hdmi encoder could be a good alternative. This is not an hdmi encoder forum, but can I ask for recommendation? Also, how to remotely control the stb is another issue. Ideally an app on my smartphone can send ir signal to the stb. Any such system exists?

I know about lirc or winlirc. But can they have interface that looks like a real remote? Or any other soution to this ir issue?

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this...
http://max-soft.com/slingbox-diy.htm
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if just reverting to Slingplayer V1.5 would do the trick. It was the upgrade to 2.0.4 that started to involve the Sling servers (We were reassured at the time they would never turn them off Very Happy ). I have it working on my PC but I don't think I can really test it until the servers are turned off.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the original install files?
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rmrsoft.com/slingplayer15.exe
nyudoka

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Direct IP Connection Reply with quote

alanrichey wrote:
I am wondering if just reverting to Slingplayer V1.5 would do the trick.

Might depend on which model Slingbox you have. I have the Pro-HD (Japanese model) setup to stream remotely using Slingplayer 2.0.4 on Win10 streaming 720p (works perfectly). I also tested ver 1.5 (with Direct IP Connection and modified SBCore.ini for 720p), but remote control doesn't work as it was never intended for Pro-HD (SBAV-JB.sbav) models.

However, I also remote record from the Slingbox using the Perl rec2a.pl script on Win10 with batch files and Task Scheduler to capture 720p streams automatically, then pipe the asf files into FFMpeg mp4s . The Perl scripts do also use a Direct IP connection method.

I have tested the same Perl script using a Batch file to pipe -stdout into VLC via command line, and can watch Live TV. So as long as Sling don't release a firmware update that cripples the remote viewing, then I'll just use that method once they shutoff SlingPlayer 2.0.4 from authenticating and doing Finder ID lookups through their servers.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Take a look at this...
http://max-soft.com/slingbox-diy.htm

Thank you for the recommendation, Robman.
I purchased from amazon.ca the exact same model of hdmi encoder and from amazon.com the broadlink rm4 mini as mentioned in the link. I have to say they work very well for my purpose. The hdmi encoder can stream up to 4 streams at the same time at different bit rates and resolution. It's just a bit pricey to me, but worth the money.

The amazon seller provided me a 30 dollars rebate if I give them a 5 star review on amazon.ca but I think it is worth a 5 star review anyway.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Chuliu.
chuliu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanrichey wrote:
I am wondering if just reverting to Slingplayer V1.5 would do the trick. It was the upgrade to 2.0.4 that started to involve the Sling servers (We were reassured at the time they would never turn them off Very Happy ). I have it working on my PC but I don't think I can really test it until the servers are turned off.

Hi, alan.
Maybe you are right.
Today I failed to connect to my slingbox neither on my pc with slingplayer 2.0.4 nor my ipad. I reverted back to 1.5 and for the moment it works. Just that the resolution is much worse than 2.0.4.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are all still working so I suspect you have a different problem ?
chuliu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what is going on, but I haven't been able to connect to my slingbox(es) since yesterday with my ipad, iphone, fire tv, or windows. After a few trials and errors, I managed to connect to my slingbox(es) with the help of astrill vpn, with country set to Taiwan, or USA, but not Hong Kong. My son's android does connect to slingbox(es) without vpn.

I am a bit lost as to the cause of the failure to connect to my slingbox(es). I can't rule out any factors--isp, slingmedia blocking hk, or OSs themselves. For now I can watch with vpn on or on my son's android phone. Another thing I tried was to running slingplayer to connect to slingbox with 4g data, which doesn't connect either.

I took my ipad to a cafe and used their free wifi to tried to connect to slingbox and it didn't work.

So, I conclude it could be either isp specific or region(Hong Kong) specific malfunctions to certian OSs, windows, ios.

For now I can watch with vpn on. As I don't have android devices, except fire tv, I can't watch on android devices, and fire tv also failed to connect. I don't know if I shlould call my isp saying that I have issues using certian apps to watch live streams. I am not sure if it is their fault.

Looks like I have to rely on vpn for a while. Or, any suggestions?
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
I don't know what is going on, but I haven't been able to connect to my slingbox(es) since yesterday with my ipad, iphone, fire tv, or windows. After a few trials and errors, I managed to connect to my slingbox(es) with the help of astrill vpn, with country set to Taiwan, or USA, but not Hong Kong. My son's android does connect to slingbox(es) without vpn.

I am a bit lost as to the cause of the failure to connect to my slingbox(es). I can't rule out any factors--isp, slingmedia blocking hk, or OSs themselves. For now I can watch with vpn on or on my son's android phone. Another thing I tried was to running slingplayer to connect to slingbox with 4g data, which doesn't connect either.

I took my ipad to a cafe and used their free wifi to tried to connect to slingbox and it didn't work.

So, I conclude it could be either isp specific or region(Hong Kong) specific malfunctions to certian OSs, windows, ios.

For now I can watch with vpn on. As I don't have android devices, except fire tv, I can't watch on android devices, and fire tv also failed to connect. I don't know if I shlould call my isp saying that I have issues using certian apps to watch live streams. I am not sure if it is their fault.

Looks like I have to rely on vpn for a while. Or, any suggestions?

I confirm that the issue I have is because sling started to block HK ip. ow none of ipad, windows, iphone, android phone can connects to my slingbox. Probably due to the recent hk political situation and USA and china conflicts. so that sling made the decision.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's Sling blocking HK, but rather the gov in China is blocking Sling.

https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/index-blocked-websites-in-china
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I don't think it's Sling blocking HK, but rather the gov in China is blocking Sling.

https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/index-blocked-websites-in-china

Maybe. However, my isp claims that they didn't block the site or any other sites. Also, due to one country two systems policy, I have been able to browse any sites unlike in china. That said, thing may have changed since 2019 due to the anti-ELAB movement. Anyway, this is a jp1 remotes forum and I don't mean to talk about politics here. I am just a sling user in HK who wishes to watch tv without using vpn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: