JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anthem AVM-20 Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexxe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Anthem AVM-20 Remote Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a newbie here. My Anthem AVM-20 remote is no longer functioning. I opened it up to remove the film that allows it to light up as it was making an obnoxious buzzing sound and no longer lighting up. However, once I removed the film and then put the remote back together, it no longer controlled my AVM-20. I wondered whether Anthem added some sort of tamper protection whereby it would wipe out the EEPROM when opened. So, currently, the remote still seems to work as I see the light go on that it is sending a signal.

It does have a JP1 connector, but I'm hesitant to get a cable for fear that I won't be able to program it due to the tamper protection or that the EEPROM is ruined (is this possible?). Anyone know anything about this? I'm also a bit confused on what cable I need to purchase as it seems like the links for the seller everyone uses are dead. I literally just want to bring the remote back to life so it can control my AVM-20 again.

Thanks for your help!

Andrew
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are links to various ebay sellers here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

The cables on ebay come with 6 individual connectors, rather than the 2*3 single connector that would be preferable, so you would either need to replace the connectors, or just connect them manually, as detailed in that thread.

If you'd rather just get a ready-made cable, rather than the cheaper ones on ebay, there is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283058032000

I have never heard of any sort of tamper protection like you describe in a JP1 remote.
rexxe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob!

Does this remote require the DIY Gadget JP1 EEPROM programming adapter as well or is the cable enough?

Also, I should've mentioned that when I put batteries in the remote, the LED flashes twice. Does anyone know what his could signify?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two blinks are the usual behavior for a remote that has undergone an ordinary reset. You'll see this after replacing batteries or after JP1 programming is finished. Four blinks would imply a more extensive reset, which I typically see after making a mistake in programming an executor.

I recommend that you do a 990 Code Blink Back (See Manual Programming on the Wiki linked near the top of the page). If I understand the manual correctly, the setup code for the AVM-20 (main) is 0040. It is possible that during disassembly or reassembly that the remote underwent a factory reset, and wiped out the setup code.

You could also try the 983 command. JP1.2 and newer remotes typically will respond with the remote's signature. If it does, this will tell us that you don't need a JP1 adapter. On the other hand, if it doesn't respond, we haven't learned much.
rexxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 990 for Main on the remote and it came back with 0476, which is not what the manual says is the AVM-20 (you are correct that the manual states 0040 as the proper code). I set Main to 0040 and it still doesn't control the AVM-20. I'm hoping that programming it with the AVM-20 codes for RemoteMaster will fix this. Thoughts?

The 983 command doesn't work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All current JP1 remotes will work with the FTDI cables I mentioned earlier, without needing a DIY adapter, but to be certain whether the AVM remote is a newer remote or an older one, we'd need to know the signature, which you would get using the 983 command that 3FG mentioned.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands#.28983.29_Remote_Signature_Blink_Back
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup code 0476 is typically associated with the Cable device. Are you sure that you have chosen the device that is supposed to control the AVM-20? It may be a good idea to check setup codes for all devices.

The manual I looked at is dated 2004, which I suspect implies a JP1 remote rather than newer, but I'm not sure when JP1.2/JP1.3 remotes were first made. Also, Anthem could have changed to a newer model at some point.
rexxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@3FG: Yeah, I selected the Main button, which is how you control the Main path. The Zone 2 and 3 paths are also messed up, giving me codes of 0503 and 0060 respectively. All very strange that this happened simply because I opened up the remote, which is why I asked about tamper protection. I also tested the remote's memory to verify it's still good by typing in a code as well as teaching it some commands using another remote's IR, and then pulling the batteries out. It remembered everything when I replaced the batteries.

@Rob: When I try the 983 command, it does nothing when I push the 3. It lights up when I push the 9 and 8, but does literally nothing when I push 3, so I'm assuming the remote doesn't understand that command.

If I hook up the cable without the DIY adapter, is there any risk of damage to the remote? I'm thinking I try the cable first and if I get nothing, try it with the adapter.

Thanks for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the remote open, we can probably tell if it's an old school JP1 remote by looking at the circuit board, because old remotes have an EEPROM chip on them. Could you either look for an EEPROM or take a photo?
rexxe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Here are some pics of the circuit board: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNVJCn9tXN4CEdYh6 The markings on the IC are: ATMEL106, 24C16N, SC18 C. Looking this up, it seems to be an EEPROM, but I can't find the exact 24C16N code: https://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=24C16. Thoughts?

Interestingly, the labels printed on the board do not correspond to the device selection buttons. The CBL corresponds to the Main button, AUX to Zone 2, and VCR to Zone 3. This explains why 0476 came back with Main since it is associate with a cable device.

Thanks!
rexxe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to give an update. The remote did require the JP1 adapter from diygadgets and I have fully restored the remote. Very happy!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, what did you do to restore it? Did you fid an Anthem upgrade and add it?
rexxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Well done, what did you do to restore it? Did you fid an Anthem upgrade and add it?

Yes, found the AVM-20 keymaps in the file section of the forums and they worked perfectly! Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: