JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 6440 replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsmithee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: URC 6440 replacement Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anybody know of a one for all with RMIR usb support that is currently available in the UK? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement urc 6440 (soft keys worn) for a sensible price. They all seem to be essence 4 now and I believe you need a usb to serial cable for those.

Any help appreciated.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really UK, but it is available on amazon.de
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, only the Simple line and the defunct Xsight/Nevo have USB as far as I know. You'll have to get a JP1 cable for others (~$8 US including shipping).

Bluetooth is also an option now, but I don't recall which remote(s). You can probably find in the forum with a search.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Amazon listings for the Essence and the Simple TV remotes, the packaging for both remotes indicate that these are "Simpleset" remotes, which I believe means you should be able to program them using a standard USB cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003NSIE40/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NRCGY4/
jsmithee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking about going with the urc 7955 or 7140 or 7145, I think these all need a serial cable. Amazing that these are all half the price of a 6440 now it's discontinued.

One last noob question, is this cable ok?
eBay item number:
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My search of that item number comes up empty. Can you post a link?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable that we recommend is listed here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

I have no idea if the cable that you specified would work. If you buy it, please report back:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262285972686

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsmithee wrote:
One last noob question, is this cable ok?
eBay item number:
As Rob said, we don't know for sure. But it's a poor choice given that you'd have to solder a new pin to the required RTS. My experience is that similar ones made for Arduino have not worked with JP1 remotes.
jsmithee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, although I would have no problem soldering the extra pin I'll go with the recommended lead if other people have had no luck with arduino. All the ones on uk ebay have four wires and that had five (six if you add the RTS) so thought it might be ok.

I'll post another thread in the noob section if I have any problems connecting to the remote when the lead arrives.

Thanks all.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsmithee wrote:
I'm thinking about going with the urc 7955 or 7140 or 7145, I think these all need a serial cable.

The URC7955 (5-device) and its bigger brother the 8-device URC7980 are the two remotes that now have Bluetooth support in RMIR. They also have the 6-pin connector for a JP1.x cable, but if you don't already have a JP1.x cable then the advantage of Bluetooth for a UK user is that that Bluetooth BLED112 dongle needed is available in the UK from RS Components. No need to get a JP1.x cable from China. See this thread for more details.
jsmithee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read about the Bluetooth support - excellent feature. I'm pretty much sold on getting a 7955 or 7980 at the moment, I found a 7955 for £15 but missed out, Currys are doing them for £23 however.

@mathdon, you recommended the 6440 which I've been happy with, are these new ones any good?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsmithee wrote:
@mathdon, you recommended the 6440 which I've been happy with, are these new ones any good?

I am continuing to use my 6440 for my own equipment, so haven't used the 7980 or 7955 "for real". There is no extender for them in the ordinary sense, and no prospect of me writing one. The extender that I have issued is purely to add the necessary features to allow uploading from RMIR to the remote, it doesn't change the normal operation of the remote at all.

These remotes look and feel nice, they are a little longer and a little narrower than the 6440 and the keys are well laid out. If I had to forego my trusty 6440 then they are probably what I would go for out of the large collection of remotes that I have acquired for development purposes, but as I said above, I have no experience of using them for day-to-day use. I hope these remarks may be of some help, but probably not a lot.
jsmithee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I hope these remarks may be of some help, but probably not a lot.

No, very helpful indeed like all the advice and help I've received on this forum. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting another lemon like the urc 7990. Very Happy

Thanks.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsmithee wrote:
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting another lemon like the urc 7990. Very Happy

OMG, the URC 7990 Rolling Eyes . Yes, I got one with the serious intention of using it "for real". The idea behind it was very promising, but in reality it was absolutely dreadful and totally unusable. No, you won't find the 7980 or 7955 to be a lemon like that.
davecs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a OARUSB4G from Amazon.com. It will take a couple of weeks to arrive from the USA to the UK, but even with the postage, works out cheaper than the URC6440 bought in the UK (even if you can find one for sale).

$17.73 including delivery to UK. <£15.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: