JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

881x / 891x extender with extra memory only?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidgamr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: 881x / 891x extender with extra memory only? Reply with quote

I've tried everything I can think of, searched and came up with nothing, so I'm asking here for someone smarter than I am...
I need to learn how to modify an extender so than I *only* have extra memory from Learned memory. I don't need or want ToadTog, etc.
I use Volume Punch Through as well as the L keys / M keys for programming (for Subtitles, Audio, Angle, etc. for DVD players for example).
The extenders *always* disable the L and M keys making them do nothing when I press those buttons regardless of whether something has been programmed for them or not.
I figured out how to disable the VPT, per the extender readme, but they never tell how to disable the other features?
I've even tried deleting EVERYTHING that's not associated with my devices:
Device TV/1800 and Protocol 0180
VCR or MISC/1800:0181 ToadTog
TV or MISC/1101:01FE Device Multiplexer
TV or MISC/1103:01FC Device Specific Macro
TV or MISC/1104:01FB Pause
TV or MISC/1106:01F9 Long/Double Keypress
TV or MISC/1107:01F8 Custom Mode Name (for LCD display)
and my L and M buttons still don't work! Evil or Very Mad

Help?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 8810 with an extender and my L and M buttons work just fine.

Post your RMIR or IR file in the diagnosis area with a link in this thread. And if it is an RMIR file tell us what version.

And which extender version you are using.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I use 8910 and 9910(HTpro) with extender and all L and M buttons work fine.

I don't understand this request
"I need to learn how to modify an extender so than I *only* have extra memory from Learned memory"
avidgamr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't understand it either. But since you both said yours work fine, I tried again from scratch and recreated it and uploaded it and now they work fine! I must've forgot to change the designated remote in RemoteMaster or chose 8910 new instead of 8910 new with extender? Works fine now. Thanks!
avidgamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I thought it was working okay... I see now that it's still flaky, even with the newest extender (6012ex3_3) installed. Perhaps someone can help figure this out? What am I doing wrong?

IR file is flaky and doesn't seem to change modes successfully. I'll try to remember what I did:
I press TV then power to activate the extender.
Then pressed TV and tried my "L" buttons.
Then switched to DVD and again, tried the L buttons.
Then Aux and tried the L buttons.
Pressed Cd and tried the L buttons.
Tried CBL and tried F.REW (Instant Replay)- the remote lights up indicating it's working, then tried other buttons (F.FWD works as well but I have NOTHING programmed for it.). I tried the remote with the ROKU device and some buttons are not working. It doesn't seem to be fully switching modes?

Neither RM upload will work the "L" buttons. Extender not activated?

IR 8.03:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25620
RM 2.03:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25621
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't actually programmed the extender to do anything. It needs lots of macros to map all the different button groups to your devices when you switch modes.

If you just use the correct device types in your upgrades, you won't need nearly as many keymoves and maybe not need the extender.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender install process should create default macros of every device button that are equivalent to the behavior of non-extended remote. Did you remove those? If not you didn't install the extender correctly
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the guys said you need to have the device selection macros to get the device change devices.

In addition you need to activate the extender (Tv power) or none of the keymoves can be accessed because the extender moves the keymove macro space.

While using the correct upgrade type can reduce your need for the increased keymove space the other features of an extender.

The fast macros with nesting and Lkp’s are the two features that I’d have trouble living without.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
avidgamr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I thought I knew what I was doing. LOL Embarassed

After I use IR, I *always* press TV, then Power to activate the extender but saw nothing happen after I did that using RMIR? (I tried both RMIR and IR using two different 881x remotes)

I installed the extender first (on a clean no upgrades or protocols setup), then I added my upgrades. So I should do it the other way around?

I still don't understand how to make macros... Guess I'll have to research some more.

As for choosing the right type of device, I thought I did? LOL Question How can I tell which device type I need for each?

I have lots of upgrades I've created to upload here but (wisely I see) chose to wait until I make sure I know what I'm doing and have all of the bugs worked out before uploading them...
Speaking of which, I have one stereo remote upgrade I'm working and trying to figure out. But perhaps I should wait and create an appropriate thread for it? PHILIPS MAGNAVOX FW768P. Remote (and stereo) has four different modes to choose from: Tuner/Tape/CD/Aux. Each mode changes the buttons on the remote and makes them send different devices/OBC codes, depending on the mode the remote is in. How can I create this RC5 protocol upgrade (with 16,17,18,20 & 21 devices (mixed)) without using four different buttons on a remote (make one upgrade instead of four)? Surprised
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have IR anymore, so I didn't look at that file. But the RMIR files you posted have no hint of any extender code in them at all. No extender signature/RDF is used, there are no special devices, protocols or macros that one would see in an extender. So you're missing some major step in your process. I would go through the instructions again, step by step. Before you ever add your first device, you should see lots of entries on the macros, special functions and devices tab, if you installed correctly.

In terms of picking device types, when editing each device go to the Buttons tab and pick whatever type results in the fewest key moves (asterisks *). Since your TV device has play/rew/ffwd/etc., the CABLE or PVR device type will result in fewer key moves than a TV device type.

Here's a good example of an RC5 combo similar to your stereo that uses 7 devices in one:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13905
avidgamr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! I would've swore I installed the extender in RMIR! <sigh> Embarassed Rolling Eyes Sorry. I'll try again...

As for the stereo remote, I think perhaps we have a misunderstanding. When I change modes on the remote, it changes the EFCs and devices that the other buttons actually put out to the stereo. I'll upload what I have so far and see if perhaps you (or someone else?) can examine it and figure it out...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25622
avidgamr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after I installed the extender (again? lol) I now have the same weird problem I had with the IR file I mentioned. It's like some buttons aren't changing modes when I switch modes.
I Clicked on TV, then power to activate the extender.
Pressed Aux then Stop. Doesn't work the Roku as the output is for another device (I captured output via IR Widget and can see it's sending the wrong protocol/device/EFC.).

All of my Roku (cbl button) control buttons don't work the Roku as they are for a different device. Arrow buttons, Guide, Menu, Select.. (all upper buttons) work fine but lower buttons don't (Stop, Rew, Fwd, Pause, etc.)
I'm I've examined my file again myself but don't see what's wrong (because I'm a rookie) so I'm likely wasting my time...
I've uploaded this final file but I myself am giving up on extenders and only using the upgrades I absolutely need. I'm stressed out to the max with these extenders... Like I said, I wish there was an extender that ONLY gave extra memory and nothing else for us rookies... Laughing

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25625
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up yet. You're getting close. Extender code is there now, as are most the required devices, protocols and macros.

AUX Stop doesn't work Roku: This is because your AUX device is assigned to RCA DRC8030N DVR, not the Roku upgrade

CBL doesn't control Roku: CBL macro is missing the step T_CBL

For your stereo, you could combine into a single device per my example. But this single device would be just as difficult to manage, i.e., you'd have 4 Play functions: AUX_Play, CD_Play, Tape_Play, etc. So the multiple device approach you have now is best. To switch among them, I'd use the device multiplexer special function. This will work fine, but there is a catch. With a multiplexed device, you can't have key moves. So whatever functions you have assigned to buttons with asterisks in each of your Philips devices would need to move to buttons with no asterisk.

Here's how to add a multiplexer:
- Add all 4 Philips devices to your RMIR file
- Go to Special Functions tab, click new, pick RCVR, AUX, check SHIFT, type Multiplex, device type Audio, setup code 1999 (the setup code for your Philips AUX device upgrade).
- Repeat for RCVR, CD SHIFT 1997 and the other remaining Philips devices

To switch to the AUX device, press RCVR then SETUP followed by AUX. Likewise for the CD device, press RCVR, then SETUP followed by CD.

If that doesn't work, I may be missing some required macro steps for the key group assignments. Let me know, and I'll dig back into it.
avidgamr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I'll try to fix those things and try the multiplexer later this weekend when I have time (supposed to be around 109F "feels like" temp here so I ain't going outside!) Crying or Very sad
avidgamr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Don't give up yet. You're getting close. Extender code is there now, as are most the required devices, protocols and macros.

AUX Stop doesn't work Roku: This is because your AUX device is assigned to RCA DRC8030N DVR, not the Roku upgrade

CBL doesn't control Roku: CBL macro is missing the step T_CBL

For your stereo, you could combine into a single device per my example. But this single device would be just as difficult to manage, i.e., you'd have 4 Play functions: AUX_Play, CD_Play, Tape_Play, etc. So the multiple device approach you have now is best. To switch among them, I'd use the device multiplexer special function. This will work fine, but there is a catch. With a multiplexed device, you can't have key moves. So whatever functions you have assigned to buttons with asterisks in each of your Philips devices would need to move to buttons with no asterisk.

Here's how to add a multiplexer:
- Add all 4 Philips devices to your RMIR file
- Go to Special Functions tab, click new, pick RCVR, AUX, check SHIFT, type Multiplex, device type Audio, setup code 1999 (the setup code for your Philips AUX device upgrade).
- Repeat for RCVR, CD SHIFT 1997 and the other remaining Philips devices

To switch to the AUX device, press RCVR then SETUP followed by AUX. Likewise for the CD device, press RCVR, then SETUP followed by CD.

If that doesn't work, I may be missing some required macro steps for the key group assignments. Let me know, and I'll dig back into it.

AUX *is* supposed to be the RCA DVR, not the Roku.
CBL *is* supposed to be the Roku. I don't want AUX Stop working the Roku. Cool

Um, where can I find the "CBL macro" that's "missing the step T_CBL" Question
I'm not finding that anywhere... Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: