JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One For All URC 7935 Streamer Remote
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: One For All URC 7935 Streamer Remote Reply with quote

Looks like One For All is starting to roll out what looks to be a new global flagship product (based solely on it being all over their website):

https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc7935-streamer-remote/

US - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/one-for-all-streamer-remote-black/6337295.p?skuId=6337295

UK - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8809935

The colored ring indicating which device you're controlling is pretty slick. The manual shows a 6-pin connector in the battery compartment too. It looks like a great solution if you have a streaming-only setup and want something compact like a Roku or Alexa remote. It's a learning remote too. As shipped it looks a little limited in its functionality but could I expect it could be expanded if it can be incorporated into RMIR.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow - that looks awesome if it is a bluetooth remote too! I have been really wanting a backlit streaming remote.

Picking one up after work to play with.

[EDIT]
Meh - it is freaking IR only. Oh well.
beans00

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one today, like the button feel and layout. Would be nice to be able to program it with RMIR.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the buttons are like the URC-7880, the button feel is the best thing about the new remotes, light with tactile feedback. There are several things that I wish were better about my remote. But the button feel is great.
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one yesterday as well. The button feel is great; they're nice and clicky. Very similar to an Alexa remote. Inside it has a tactile covering and a blob of epoxy so nothing to discover there.

For the situation it's designed for it's almost perfect out of the box. I have a firestick (IR controlled with a FLIRC) going into A soundbar which then passes the video through to a projector. I just used learning to put the soundbar power on one of the power keys. my one gripe is that I can't get to my projector menu because the menu and navigation keys all default to controlling the streaming device. that's where I'm hoping I'll be able to do a little extra with RMIR.

I'm waiting on a new cable but when it arrives I plan to post a memory dump, and hope to work with the experts to put together an rdf.

xnappo wrote:
Oh wow - that looks awesome if it is a bluetooth remote too! I have been really wanting a backlit streaming remote.

Picking one up after work to play with.

[EDIT]
Meh - it is freaking IR only. Oh well.

FLIRC will get you the hookup. I've one it hooked to my firestick with a regular OTG y-cable and it works perfectly with an IR remote.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using CEC control from my Onkyo receiver to control both a Firestick 4k and an Nvidia Shield. That works quite well, although I needed an ir repeater to relocate the sensor. This is quite a good deal, but you end up with more of them than you probably need. Smile

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Infrared-IR-Remote-Control-Repeater-Kit-Current-Audio-IRKITSMR-MOVING-SALE/332821701864
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOAMattD - I know - but I am done with IR. I will tolerate it for special functions, but I want direct RF for main controls at least.

I am currently using the FireTV remote for my Shield - which has both Bluetooth and IR - but you have to program it with the Fire stick and no backlight.

I think it is only a matter of time before OneForAll makes a remote with bluetooth though - hopefully sooner rather than later (since I have been participating in JP1 discussion since ~1998!)
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting: https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/ces-universal-electronics-announces-new-airtv-voice-remote-touts-wow-and-huawei-deals
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOAMattD wrote:

Thanks for this UK link. Curiously, a google search for URC7935 did not show up ANY UK stores that stock it, but through your link I found that the local Argos has it in stock, so I have bought one to investigate. I've not even unpacked it yet, but will report when I have discovered more about it.
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:

I think it is only a matter of time before OneForAll makes a remote with bluetooth though - hopefully sooner rather than later (since I have been participating in JP1 discussion since ~1998!)

When you said this I had to dig into my own post history. I'm shocked that it's been almost 10 years since I discovered this forum and JP1. I'm averaging about 2 posts/year because usually this stuff just WORKS Very Happy

mathdon wrote:
NOAMattD wrote:

Thanks for this UK link. Curiously, a google search for URC7935 did not show up ANY UK stores that stock it, but through your link I found that the local Argos has it in stock, so I have bought one to investigate. I've not even unpacked it yet, but will report when I have discovered more about it.

After learning you're UK-based reading the RMIR development threads, it was posted with you in mind Smile

It's odd to be sure. Searching for the model didn't turn up anything for me either, and at first I actually only could find the Argos link from the One For All site. It wasn't until I googled "Streamer remote" in quotes that it turned up at Best Buy. Laughing Laughing
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some very minimal info on the 7935. It has signature 262403 and uses a MAXQ610 processor. Although it does not have digit buttons, you can enter numeric setup codes by pressing two buttons together to select the device and six of the buttons then act as digits 1-6. The codes in the code list provided with the remote are 5-digit codes using the digits 1-6 only. To convert these codes to standard form, subtract 1 from each digit and interpret the result as a base 6 number.

Here is an example. The first code in the list for a Toshiba TV is 21663. Subtracting 1 from each digit gives 10552. As a base 6 number this means:

((((1*6+0)*6+5 )*6+5)*6+2 = 1508

which is the first code for a Toshiba TV in the lists of most other remotes.

I have quite a lot of the data I need for the RDF but not yet enough to create one safe to try. More news when I have it.
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new FTDI cable is supposed to come Saturday, I'll be happy to help test once you've put it together.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an update on the current situation. It will take me longer than I anticipated to get the URC7935 working fully with RMIR, as it is not merely creating an RDF. I am needing to add new RDF syntax and create a new build of RMIR as well. But the result will have what I consider nice touches. For example, it will show the ring colors used for each device, and will allow you to change the ring color for the Streaming device (which is the only one of the three colors that the remote allows you to change).

The bottom four buttons on the remote can hold real-time macros. These will be editable with RMIR, but all buttons can have ordinary macros and these can only be created with RMIR. As far as I can tell, key moves are not supported, but I can't see that they would be much use, either.

I am curious as to what you would like to be able to do with this remote that cannot be done directly on the remote. RMIR will make setup easier, and will show exactly what has been set up, but it is additional features that I am interested in. If I knew what you would like, I would be in a better position to see if it is possible.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I think I understand ordinary macros. But I'm not sure that I understand real-time macros. Could you help me understand what that means?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real-time macro records not only the buttons you press, but how long you hold them for and the durations between button presses. So it plays back the sequence exactly as you originally did it. An ordinary macro just records which keys you press. The durations held and intervals between, on playback, are up to the remote and bear no relation to how you recorded it.

These are very new. The first remote with a real-time macro was the URC-7955, which supported this on just one key. The URC-7880 may be the second, but I haven't studied it enough to say. So the URC-7935 is only the second or third remote to support these macros.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: