JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nevo Q50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingnut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Nevo Q50 Reply with quote

Hello all,

Below is a question I directed to Rob who kindly suggested I raise it in the forums, so apologies for some of the first person wording I decided to not rewrite it.

Also apologies if this has been covered off somewhere else I could not find any reference to it anywhere. Please feel free to direct me to the correct location or topic if that is the case.

So, to the question.

I have found your useful website in hifi-remote and was wondering whether it is possible to give new life to the Nevo Q50 remotes I own. I note on the JP1 pages you speak directly about the C2 and C3 remotes from Nevo but you do not mention the Q50.

Since they stopped support for them (and the programming, etc.) they have been paperweights and I have avoided replacing them. The only other viable option I have found previously is the Logitech Harmony range but you have given me new hope.

I hope you can answer my question or, if not, then please assist by pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you
Cheers,
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to dash your hopes, but we can't really help you.

When the Q50 came out a few years before the completely different Nevo C2/3, it was $700 and aimed at the professional integrator market. It also had its own very complex and sophisticated software far different from Remote Master. So it was really never on our radar. We're all about squeezing all we can out of relatively cheap remotes. I can tell you that none of us around here has ever even attempted to hack that remote as far as I know.

I think the effort required to reverse engineer the Q50 would be orders of magnitude greater than what it took for the C2/C3, which was already huge.

If I had a Q50 and wanted something similar, I'd go to to a phone/tablet based remote like DemoPad, SimpleControl or theHomeRemote rather than tackle hacking the Q50. My theHomeRemote can do most of the stuff the Q50 can and only costs about 5 bucks (US). But you have to add some gateway devices like iTach, etc.

For those who aren't familiar, this data sheet is pretty informative:
http://www.ideav.it/public/pdf/32_Telecomandi_Nevo.pdf
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Q50 at least have learning?
Wingnut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, I was sort of hoping you would say "Hey, just do this and it will work fine" Sad

I think it does learn, not sure though. Had a look and it does. It can also let you pick which device codes work with your equipment and make choices from there.

The programming software, Nevo Studio Pro, runs on my computer but I can't get the Q50 recognised as being attached in windows 10. I will see if I can get it working on a windows 7 box and play with it there. That will affect JP1 too if I can't get it seen by the computer.

The software has the ability to convert and apply pronto or marantz coding if that makes a difference.

I will have a poke around. At least I now know it doesn't matter if I brick it. Surprised

Cheers,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has learning (and better yet, the ability to accept Pronto hex) and it has sufficient memory to hold as many learned signals as you need, you could use a cheap JP1 remote (and codes from the web) to program it even without a direct connection to JP1.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wingnut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo, I have got the software working, Nevo connected and programmed it for one of my rooms all on my Win 10 machine. Very Happy

The devices are not correct as I am using older models (codes?) included with Nevo Studio Pro (circa 2007) so some features are missing from the control. I can add buttons and learn IR commands easily or I can try and find current model code sets.

As an example my receiver is a Yamaha HTR-2071, what code should I use for that? Or is it a case of try one code and see what is not right and try the next code until you find the one with the least errors and "fix it" from there?

Edit: Have done some searching and am fairly sure the receiver is the same as the RX-V383 in the US. Looks near enough to identical. Smile

I am looking forward to losing four remotes and having just one. The macros, colour LCD touch screen and all the other stuff just make it so much more sweet.

Now I have to work on the WAF. Surprised

Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: