JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 1280 Countour 8 - Vol and Prog Keys interchanged and VPT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urcfan02

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: URC 1280 Countour 8 - Vol and Prog Keys interchanged and VPT Reply with quote

I'm programming JP1 remotes since 15 years and I very appreciate the work of all members of JP1 community. With help of some home-brew capturing and programming interfaces I was a able to solve all of my problems by my-self, until now.

My old URC URC7555 remote is no longer working properly. So, I bought a cheap URC 1280 (Contour 8) hoping that I can program most of the nice and well-known features of URC remotes using JP1 (the manual lists only very few). In general, this seems to be true (key moves, macros are working) but I have two problems:

1. The Volume and program key are interchanged. I found two successful work-arounds:
Replace the button codes with the opposite one in button assignment or patch the [ButtonMaps] section of the RDF file. Both of them do not seem to be right because they do not address the root cause (that I did not find out).

2. In RMIR 2.07 I did not find an option to program the VPT capabilities. Checking the RDF file and it's documentation I found that the 1280 uses a new (JP1.4?) scheme for V/T/C PT.

If I do this programming manually I see that this seems to flip the same bit in 10 segments (type 0x00 =Device Segment?). E.g. from EC10 to ECA0 are changing
from 02 00 00 07 CC FF 00 00 00 FF FF FF
to 02 00 00 07 CC FF 07 00 00 FF FF FF

Is there an option in the RMIR GUI to manage these capabilities? I did not find any?

Thanks in advance.
urcfan02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: URC 1280 Contour 8 - Vol and Prog Keys interchanged Reply with quote

OK, I retract the second question.
I was blind ;-(

Because of different internal design of newer JP1 remotes these options moved in RMIR from "Other Settings" directly into the "Device Buttons" table in "General" tab.

But the first question (interchanged volume and program buttons) is still open.

Any hint?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess with ButtonMaps. Change the Buttons section in the RDF to fix.

What do you mean by "program" buttons, channel up/down? Are mute and previous also swapped?

What I'd like to see is for you to put the RDF back the way it was originally
and manually create 2 macros on the remote using the 995 procedure and post the resulting RMIR file in the diagnosis area of the file section.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands#Single_macro_buttons

Put Macro 1 on Red with steps Vol+, Vol- and Mute.

Put Macro 2 on Green with steps Ch+, Ch- and Prev channel.

Create these on the remote and download and save, do not create them using RMIR.
urcfan02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, "program" means "channel".
Mute and previous are not swapped (working as expected).

I did a factory reset (981) and created the two macros. I reverted to the original RDF file and downloaded the data from remote. The related RMIR file is available at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25500.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your file, the buttons and RDF are correct as-is. If you take this file and assign your TV device code, then run each macro, Red should change the volume up/down, then mute and Green should change the channel up/down, then prev. Vol and Ch keys should work as expected.

Post your problem RMIR file for me to look at.
urcfan02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded my RMIR file, available at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id=25501.

It contains 2 device upgrades that I imported from my old URC7555 project. Possibly something went wrong during import and subsequent corrections.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing's jumping out at me. File looks correct. Go ahead and post your original 7555 file(s), and I'm going to rebuild the 1280 myself and see if that works.
urcfan02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My URC7555 RMIR file is available at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id=25502.

Only one thing that I found during my investigations with my new URC1280 project:

The [ButtonMaps] section in URC1280 RDF file contains the sequences ($20, $1D, $21) and ($22, $1F) in the second and third group. According to JP1 RDF File Spec v4 this groups are "for the volume keys (volume up, volume down & mute)" and "for the channel select keys (channel up & channel down)". Comparing this with the macro codes that I recorded for you it seems to be a different order. That's why I tried to patch this section formerly.
On the other hand I tried to search for these sequences in the raw binary downloads of the URC1280 and I found these in the same oder that are present in the original URC1280 RDF file.

I try to understand some internals of the JP1 remotes but at this point I reached my knowledge limit. My question is if the behavior I'm facing is a mistake of mine or if this is real problem in RM and/or RDF.

My intention ist to contribute the results of my project to the JP1 community but I would like to be sure that this input is valid and not containing any stupid work-around.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... now I understand. I thought when you said vol and chan were swapped, I thought you meant vol keys controlled channels and the chan keys controlled volume. Yes, I think the buttonmaps section is in error. From the buttons section, we can see that vol up, down and mute are $1D, $20, $20 respectively, and ch up, down are $1F and $22.

So swap those in every case.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to fix the 1280 RDF file in our distributions. Can you post the RMIR file which resulted from when you manually constructed the macros?

And, are you sure that the other buttons all have the correct button numbers? The original RDF file was not fully tested by e.g. making macros with every button.
urcfan02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean URC1280-sony-tv-pioneer-amp.rmir? If you need I can try to readout all button numbers.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

file_id=25501 contains 2 macros, but I don't see any correspondence to the macros that mdavej asked for on the Red and Green buttons. In the file you posted, there are 5 assigned buttons in each macro, and they mostly are device buttons. This is pretty puzzling, so I would appreciate it if you would try again. Please also test to make sure that the macros actually run and carry out the desired actions.

As a separate endeavor, you should use your revised RDF, and verify that you can assign functioning macros using RMIR instead of manually generating them.

This RDF was first generated a couple of years ago with user Knuckx. I think it has had minimal testing, since he prefers other remotes, I believe. I'm reluctant to commit a new version to SourceForge until we have some confidence that the RDF is correct.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

file_id=25500 in the 4th post has the macros.
urcfan02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a first step I read out all URC1280 button codes by programming macros using 995 code. RMIR was using the original RDF file. I extracted the relevant sections from downloaded data and added some comments. Maybe this helps to check/validate the RDF file.

Here are the results:

[Macro]
# Rewind;Play;FastFwd;Stop;Pause;Record;Guide;Menu;Info;Left;Right;Up;OK;Down
Data=0D 0E 0F 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 19 16 18 1A
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=35 -> = $23 (Red Button)
DeviceIndex=0

[Macro]
# AV;Exit;Vol+;Back;Ch+;Vol-;Mute;Ch-
Data=1B 1C 1D 1E 1F 20 21 22
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=36 -> = $24 (Green Button)
DeviceIndex=0

[Macro]
# 1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;Text;0;TextOff
Data=27 28 29 2A 2B 2C 2D 2E 2F 30 31 32
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=37 -> = $25 (Yellow Button)
DeviceIndex=0

[Macro]
# Red;Green;Yellow;Blue
Data=23 24 25 26
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=24 -> = $18 (OK Button)
DeviceIndex=0
urcfan02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second step: Using my modified RDF with swapped entries for Vol+/Vol- and Ch+/Ch- buttons in [ButtonMaps] section "... ($1D, $20, $21), ($1F, $22)" I programmed some macros using RMIR.

I bound Red to VOL+, Green to VOL-, Yellow to CH+, Blue to CH- and the remote is working as expected.

Here is the relevant data from the related RMIR file (if needed I can upload the whole RMIR file):

[Macro]
Data=1D
Notes=Vol+
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=35
DeviceIndex=0

[Macro]
Data=20
Notes=Vol-
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=36
DeviceIndex=0

[Macro]
Data=1F
Notes=Ch+
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=37
DeviceIndex=0

[Macro]
Data=22
Notes=Ch-
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=38
DeviceIndex=0

Do you need any other data/information?
If not, I would upload my devicees RMDUs files (currently not available at JP1 site) and maybe my modified RDF.
Feel free to ask me for some additional tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: