JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More help with RCA RCRP05B extender V1.05
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alkap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: More help with RCA RCRP05B extender V1.05 Reply with quote

Hi All
I have extender 1.05 successfully installed and operating on my RCA remote. My desired setup is that I was Keys Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green be always assigned to TV

The key set for 1.05 is as follows for this remote

KEY SETS:
=========

T = Rewind,Play,FastFWD,Stop,Pause,Record,Replay,Live,skipfwd
V = Vol+,Vol-,Mute
C = digits,Ch+,CH-,Enter,dash, Last,input
M = List,Up,Down,Left,Right,OK,Menu, Page+,Page-,Day+,Day-,Guide,Info
P = PIP on/off, PIP swap, PIP move, PIP Ch+, PIP Ch-
O = A,B,C,D,Macro1/2, OnDemand,Phantom keys,DiscreteOn/Off,Power,Setup

Since these keys are part of Other, and if I assign Other to device TV on all the device keys than I cannot power on/off device since Other also includes power key.

So I tried the following
Dev_AUD;Power;Set_Vol;Set_Menu;Set_Trans;Dev_TV;Set_Chan;Set_PIP;Set_Other

This works, however, my audio receiver switches ON as soon I press the device key. Pressing Power key after device key does nothing.

Then I deleted power and replaced it with discrete ON/discrete OFF, it did not do anything.

Lastly, I tried the following

Dev_AUD;Power;Set_Vol;Set_Menu;Set_Trans;Set_Other;Dev_TV;Set_Chan;Set_PIP;A[yellow];B[blue];C[red];D[green]
Dev_dev4;Set_Trans;Set_Vol;Set_Chan;Set_PIP;Set_Menu;Set_Other

Now my Audio works properly however, A.B.C.D keys do nothing.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help in advance
Alkap
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much an amateur here, but until the experts arrive, here's what I'd do in your case. (I've done similar stuff with my RCRP05B.)

I assume there are TV functions you want to assign to the "color" buttons (A, B, C, and D). Assume these functions are fA, fB, fC, and fD. You want these TV functions to fire whenever you press one of these buttons, regardless of what devices are assigned to the color buttons and what devices are currently "active" in your remote.

If the above is correct, then assign functions fA-fD in your TV device to, say, keys shift-A-shiftD (or any available keys). Define global macros on the A-D buttons as follows:

A: Dev_TV;shift-A
B: Dev_TV;shift-B
C: Dev_TV;shift-C
D: Dev_TV;shift-D

Does that work for you?
alkap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

If the above is correct, then assign functions fA-fD in your TV device to, say, keys shift-A-shiftD (or any available keys). Define global macros on the A-D buttons as follows:

can you explain step by step?
Thanks a bunch
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
can you explain step by step?

Sure. It would be simpler if you could post your RMIR file in the diagnosis area. Then I could have a look and show you exactly how I'd do it.
alkap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Ed Thank you very much. Here is file URL

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25483
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alkap,

Here is a link to the file with macros on the "color" buttons: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25484

Having done this, I'm pretty sure this is really not what you want. I'm not sure you'd ever want to use any of the color buttons defined by the macros unless you were actually watching the TV. In that case, the way the color buttons are already assigned to the color "functions" of the TV would work just fine for you. That is, if you really only need these functions when you're watching the TV, you don't need the macros. What you already have is all you need.

For example, you have a Samsung DVD (or BluRay) player among your devices. What would you expect, or want, to happen if you pressed one of the color buttons on the RCRP05B while watching a BluRay movie?

Moreover, it's entirely possible that you might add a device someday that also makes use of color buttons, and in that case you'd want to assign them accordingly. Or, you might just want to use a color button with another device to accomplish one of that device's functions. (I use the red button on my remote to watch YouTube through my Roku TV. I use the red button because the YouTube logo is red and that makes it easy for me to know what the key means.)

Finally, I note that the only macros you have defined so far in your RMIR file are the "default" ones that come installed with the extender. These are seldom adequate for most users.

For example, if you want to watch a DVD movie, you might want to press a button that invokes a macro that turns on the TV, turns on the DVD player, switches the TV to the appropriate input for the BluRay player, turns on the AV receiver (assuming you want the receiver to handle the audio in your setup), and set the receiver's input the the one into which you've plugged your DVD player's audio output. There are many variations of this theme, depending on the hardware you have what you want to accomplish, and RMIR and related tools here give you tremendous flexibility to do almost anything you want to do. The default macros do none of these things. They only assign the key groups to the associated devices.

I hope this helps.
alkap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed
I will tray it today.
The way I want use color buttons is to selectively change tv inputs without having to press tv button first. That feature is very useful to me.
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it a lot
Alkap
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alkap,

I had another look at your rmir file and noticed something I should have noticed yesterday.

When I open your rmir file with RMIR V2.06, Build 5, I get an "Unknown Remote" error message. I really didn't pay any attention to this earlier (my apologies), I just accepted the RDF suggested by RMIR so that I could see your setup. However, I think that message means that I don't have the correct RDF for the common extender V3.04 that you're using and hence potentially means that what I'm looking at is not what you're looking at.

Do you get the "Unknown Remote" message when you open your RMIR file? If so, we may need one of the experts to come back and help you.

If not, then you must have the correct RDF installed. In that case, let us know if your remote is doing what you want it to.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what RDF to look at either. When I opened up the file I got something that doesn't make any sense either.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for stopping by, Vicky! I was starting to feel like I was getting in over my head!
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

Does that work for you?

Ed is correct here. The extender does this thing called "shift cloaking" so that you can define things on the shifted versions of the keys and if nothing is found it will execute the current devices unshifted version of the key. That allows you to assign macros on the keys that use the unshifted keys and put a device selection in front of it. This should work for you
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky and Ed

The extender and RMIR try to load the proper extender RDF but if it doesn't have the one that it's looking for it will use what is best.

Large numbers of button assignments changed between the individual extenders (of which RCA 1.05 was one) and the common extender. If you load the wrong RDF that'll make the button assignments look really weird because the hex value in the remote file doesn't line up with the same key assignments in the RDF.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi unclemiltie and Vicky,

Just for the record, when I open the Alkap's file using RMIR V2.06, Build 5, I'm offered the following options:
    RCRP05B black
    RCRP05B black extender V1.00
    RCRP05B black extender V1.02
    RCRP05B black extender V1.04
    RCRP05B black extender V1.05
    RCRP05B black extender V3.02
    RCRP05B black extender V3.03

The common extender V3.04 is not among the options offered. If I select RCRP05B black, the file loads, but the macro key assignments look weird. If I choose any other option, I get a "Fixed Data Mismatch" error. If I cancel the "Unknown Remote" error message, the file loads and I end up seeing what appear to be Alkap's devices with the extender's pre-packaged device assignment macros.

I'll be interested in hearing if Alkap's remote is working the way he wants it to.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have all of those RDF's in your RDF directory and RMIR can't figure out what version to use so it offers them up to you

The "Fixed Data" mismatch is likely the version number. The version number is stored in the RMIR file (IIRC it's the last couple of bytes in the extender field, lime maybe at 7FE or something like that) and the RDF has a fixed data statement. If they don't match then RMIR complains that the fixed data doesn't match. It's kind of there to keep me from doing stupid things when I'm debugging.

The RCRP05 black is the non-extended version so if you select that one there are a lot of keys that are not defined including ALL of the HT setup (Dev_x, Set_X, etc) so it doesn't surprise me that you're seeing weird stuff.

If you look into his RMIR file you can find the version. It's two bytes, the first is the major number and the second is the minor number. Both are hex but it doesn'tt matter since less than 10 hex and decimal are the same.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks unclemiltie.

Alkap is running JP1.3 Extender V3.04. I added the appropriate .rdf files to my RDF folder, then opened up his file again. The file opened without error messages.

Alkap has the pre-packaged button group assignments as device macros plus several device upgrades and nothing else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: