JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

urc-10820n extender dvd loop (setup from urc-10820b00)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwehle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: urc-10820n extender dvd loop (setup from urc-10820b00) Reply with quote

Was happily using the urc-10820b00 extender for many years until
the buttons went on the my stash of that model. So I started in
on my (very small) stash of urc-10820n remotes. I loaded up the
urc-10820n extender, entered my device upgrades, macros, keymoves
and most things work as expected.

One exception ... pressing DVD causes the LED to light solid and that's
it. Seems like I'm stuck in a loop. I've checked the setup against my
original urc-10820b00 and don't see any obvious mistakes in the port.

The urc-10820n setup has been uploaded as:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25457

Of interest is:

Macros:

DVD Dev_DVD;DVD
Shift-DVD Do stuff
XShift-DVD Do other stuff

Special Function

DVD DVD LKP(2) [Short]:Shift-DVD [Long]:XShift-DVD

This structure worked fine using the urc-10820b00 extender and seems
to work fine using the urc-10820n extender for the other device buttons.
It just doesn't seem to work using the DVD button. It's as if the keymove
on the DVD button isn't kicking in after the DVD macro fires so instead the
DVD macro ends up stuck in a loop.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download your linked file and try the NEW file I added to it.

I'm thinking you just got lucky because it looks to me like an infinite loop is expected as written.
jwehle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ... downloaded the file and no loop, however it seems like the short LKP on the DVD button doesn't execute.

Not sure about getting lucky. The extender documentation says:

(1) Is there a keymove (which could be a Special Protocol function assignment) on this key in this device mode? If yes, that's what it does, if not;
(2) Is there a MACRO on this key? If yes, that's what it does, if not;
(3) Is there a function assigned to this key? If yes, that's what it executes.

which is also how the 10820b00 extender is documented. So the DVD macro sets the other keyset to DVD and then executes DVD which triggers
the keymove which has higher priority then the macro. At least this is how all the device buttons worked using the 10820b00 extender.
And it seems like how the device buttons (other than DVD) work using the 10820n extender.
jwehle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: Any chance the source code to the 10820b00 and the 10820n extenders is available?
jwehle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another random observation ... to get some DVD functionality I killed the existing DVD macro and LKP. I then changed the Shift DVD macro to be non shifted (that's
a long winded way of saying I just assigned the DVD LKP short action directly to the DVD button). That gets things going with just the loss of the DVD LKP long action.

Now the interesting thing is that there's a LKP on the input button which chooses either audio or input. This is the same LKP I use on the 10820b00 remote with the
same DVD device upgraded file. On the 10820b00 both the short and the long actions work. On the 10820n regardless whether I do a short press or a long press I
only get the short press action (which happens to be the same action as the default code associated with the input button).

It's as if none of the LKP entered are recognized for the DVD device.
jwehle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've increase the macro time to 16 (originally was 2 ... I normally use 4) and the DVD
button still loops. I've cloned everything that's on the DVD button / associated with
the DVD mode to the AUX2 button. The results ... the AUX2 button works fine to control
the DVD player. The various LKP entries (i.e. the one on the AUX2 button and the input
button when in AUX2 mode) work. However the DVD button still loops.

Giving that the other buttons which have similar setups work (even with the macro time set
to 2) and that copying all the DVD commands / macros / keymoves to the AUX2 button works it
seems like the problem is specific to how the extender processes the DVD button / DEV_DVD
command.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was not a popular remote so this extender never got any rigorous testing.

You've eliminating a timing issue.
Now that I've got RMIR on this machine, I see that DVD is device #5 so that pretty much eliminates any issue where I might have used a decimal instead 10 instead of a $10 someplace in my code.

So I'm thinking that one of the keycodes is probably reserved in the remote.

Your DVD macro uses
keymove --DVD Phantom10
macro ----- Shift DVD
macro ----- XSHIFT DVD

Since the LED stays lit like the remote is in an infinite loop.

Do shift-DVD and Xshift-DVD work as advertised when issued directly from the keyboard or does one trigger the loop?

EDIT:
I am looking at the RMIR for nx-NEW the other one is quite different and I am not quite sure what that one does, but it looks considerably different.

You also mentioned that this doesn't work on the DVD input button, but on that one its calling the Shift Input and Xshift Input but for the life of me, I can't find where DVD shift-Input is defined. That would trigger the shift-cloaking feature and cause a continuous loop on a short press.

Again that's on the one labeled NEW in the zip file I downloaded.

EDIT 2:
the RMIR file in the zip file that isn't labeled NEW has an infinite loop on the DVD button that you can see just be eyeballing it, the DVD INPUT in the NEW RMIR file appears to have an infinitite loop.

So could you update your sample with the latest and greatest version, so I can look at the current state of affairs?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jwehle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upload what I'm currently using.

You'll notice that VCR, CBL, TV, CD, PVR, DVD, AUX1, and AUX2
buttons all use the same structure. I.e:

Macro on TV:

Dev_TV; Set_Other; TV

LKP on TV TV:

Short Action Do stuff
Long Action Do other stuff

The DVD button goes into an infinite loop. The other buttons
work fine.

This is particularly interesting since the AUX2 button is assigned
the exact same setup code as the DVD button and has a clone of the
DVD macros and keymoves. The AUX2 version of things work, the DVD
version doesn't.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything "looks good"

The next test would be to see if Shift-DVD and xShift-DVD function. It could be that one of those two keycodes is reserved.

set set DVD does that work without a loop

how about
set DVD

Do they function and does it work.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jwehle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the two changes I made / tried.

Changed the DVD macro to just do:

Dev_DVD;Set_Other

Changed the Aux2 Aux2 LKP key move to do:

Short Action Shift-DVD
Long Action XShift-DVD

Results:

After pressing the DVD button I was able to press the power button to turn the DVD player on / off.

A long press on the Aux2 button fired XShift-DVD (i.e. the Receiver was turned on, etc.).

A short press on the Aux2 button fired Shift-DVD (i.e. the transport buttons now controlled the DVD).

However DVD LKPs don't work ... I.e. a long press on Input doesn't function properly instead the
default input code appears to be sent (as if there was no DVD LKP on the input button).

This appears to be the basic problem ... LKPs associated with DVD button don't fire.
E.g. the DVD DVD LKP doesn't fire, hence the infinite loop and the DVD Input LKP
doesn't fire, instead the code associated with the Input key is set to the player.
jwehle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions regarding next troubleshooting steps?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10820 on its way to FL.

I’ll do some testing when it arrives and see .

If its more than a timing issue or a simple decimal decimal to Hex mistake, I’m not sure what I can do. All the development was done on a long dead XP machine. And the tools I used won’t run on Win7 or greater. They will run on my ancient Win 2000 machine, but i won’t be near that again until May

jwehle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vicky ... I'm happy to wait to see what you find.

If it helps, I've done some assembly programming for microcontrollers in the past and I have an old XP box sitting on the shelf. I have
no problems getting my hands dirty .. I would just need some pointers / guidance for setting up the proper environment for this microcontroller
and what the data format look like for the remote / extender.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my very first test.

LKP definately works on DVD mode when doing a simple LKP on a key in DVD mode. But I'm running from IR.

But I can't get my IR file to open in RMIR.

I can't do a extendermerge in RMIR to get started with the Hex code either.

Do you know happen to know what version of RMIR you were using when you created your rmir file?

BTW I also sent you a Private Message.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the extender in your file is damaged.

Extender merge in RMIR in the current version is broken. It was working at one point

What I did is opened your file. Exported it to an IR file.

Opened it in IR

Reinstalled the extender from the hex. using unclemilties extmerge program with the corresponding VB files.

Then I removed the courtesy macros that the the HEX contains.

Then I uploaded the file to my remote.

At first I thought it was broken, because a long press of the DVD kept the light lit. But when I went back in your file, I see that you have a 14 second pause in there, then it runs the longest macro I've ever seen in my life. Boy your users must be well disciplined to keep the remote pointed for so long!!!

Anyway now I can't get it back into RMIR (current version).

So best thing to do would find an older verison of RM. I know that 2.05 build 8 works to remerge the extender.

My box traveler remotes was HEAVY, 28 pounds. I thought I could get without lugging it to FL. I guess not.

Vicky

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: