JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 USB cable - installing driver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: JP1 USB cable - installing driver Reply with quote

I installed a new hard drive in my laptop a few months ago and I guess this is the first time I've tried to use my JP1 USB cable (a Tommy Tyler cable) since then. I know I need to install the driver but I can't for the life of me figure out how, as it's been years since I last did this.

I was expecting to see a "USB IO Controller" entry in the USB section of Device Manager, but it's not there. When I click to scan for new hardware it tries to load something but fails but never gives me the option to supply my own driver.

Any ideas?
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: driver instalation Reply with quote

What OS are you using?
If it is win 10 it can be picky with drivers that are not signed.
For win 10 hold shift key and to a restart
Start into diagnostics or something like that
then something like advanced there you will see a list such as safe mode and others
Pick the one that says something like do not enforce driver signature
windows will start and then you can attempt installing drivers
I read how to do this on the web and it was the only way i could install my old OKI printer
Printer works perfect and using this trick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 - Home Edition - 64 bit
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke around in device manager til you see something with an exclamation point. Then R-click, Update..., then Browse for a driver.

However, there may not be a 64-bit driver, in which case, you'll need to use 3FG's WinUSB driver.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=153
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I found it higher up under "Other Devices", I was expecting it to be in the USB section. And the WinUSB driver did the trick.
wejones2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be in the same situation as the first post in this thread.
I have a Tommy's IR IR-widget and JP12 USB devices.
A few days ago, I replaced the hard disk on my laptop, after which I moved most of the files from the old drive over to my desktop.
I WAS running Win7 home edition, but now I have Win7 enterprise edition installed.
Today I tried to use the Widget, and it can't find the com port. As above, I can't remember how I originally installed the USB to COM port drivers. I do remember that I went to https://www.ftdichip.com and downloaded drivers there, and I found some directories on my laptop with info on CDM uninstaller, and found some drivers for CDM20814 and CDM20817 , but I wasn't sure which to use.
As above, I went into the device manager, and found the Widget device under other devices (can't remember what it was called).
I THINK I decided to see if the CDM20817 drivers would work, so I pointed the driver update to a folder with those drivers, and the drivers seemed to have been installed, and the Widget then showed up as a USB Serial Port, so I thought I had found the right drivers, however the device manager still said that no drivers were installed. On going back to the Widget program, it still wasn't finding the COM port. I tried to uninstall what I had done using the CDM uninstall program, but it didn't work. So I tried to install the 20814 drivers, but they wouldn't install.
I now seem to have completely messed up the situation, and don't know what to do. Perhaps letting windows search on the web for drivers????

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Tommy's widget. I've never had to install any drivers in any version of Windows. What do you see in device manager when you plug in the widget? If you see a generic comm port, you should be able to force it to use a specific port, i.e., COM3. If you see "unknown device", then you need to load the appropriate Windows driver on this page (32 or 64 bit depending on your OS), then plug the widget back in:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
wejones2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I think originally it ID's as something like unknown device, but it definitely had a exclamation point suggesting that windows didn't know what it was. Both initially and after my changes, I tried every com port between 1 and 16, but nothing worked. I think that before it was using com 6 or 7. After I installed the drivers, it's now ID'ing as a USB-Serial port, however it's indicating that no drivers are installed. I'm not sure if it said that right after the installation, or if my attempts to uninstall actually did work, but now it won't even show the driver that I thought I had installed, it only shows the CDM20814 version.
However, I ran a program called USB View, and when the Widget is plugged in, it shows it as a "FT232R USB UART". and when on the USB port I usually use, it shows Device Address: 0x06. So this sounds like it's working, however the Widget isn't seeing it.
The web page you referred to is where I got the drivers I tried, but the ones I downloaded were from back in something like 2011. I just downloaded newer version from your link, but I haven't tried installing them yet.

UPDATE: I decided to try installing the new 2018 drivers, and they do work. I have no idea of why the older drivers wouldn't work, because they had been working before. Perhaps the laptop drivers I loaded when I installed Windows on the new hard disk weren't compatable with the old USB-Serial UART drivers.

Anyway, thanks for inspiring me to try the newer drivers.
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I also have Tommy's widget. I've never had to install any drivers in any version of Windows. What do you see in device manager when you plug in the widget? If you see a generic comm port, you should be able to force it to use a specific port, i.e., COM3. If you see "unknown device", then you need to load the appropriate Windows driver on this page (32 or 64 bit depending on your OS), then plug the widget back in:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I just ran into this same problem trying to update my remote on a new laptop, and I long ago forgot that this cable even needs a driver. Your pointer to the ftdichip page saved me, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: