JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trouble with Atlas OCAP 1056B01, JP1.3 USB, and Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wified

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Trouble with Atlas OCAP 1056B01, JP1.3 USB, and Vista Reply with quote

I've got the following:
URC-1056 Atlas OCAP Black Remote with backlighting (30333033)
JP1.2/1.3 serial cable
PL-2303 USB to Serial adapter
Dell Latitude XPS 1330 Vista notebook, with PL2303 USB to RS232 (Serial) Adapter Driver for Vista installed

I can download from the remote to IR 7.14 with no problem, but I cannot upload back to the remote the same file that I downloaded from it. When I try to do that, I get an error: "Error writing to remote"

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

I also tried to use an older XP notebook, since I thought that it might be an issue with the Vista driver, but I get the same problem on that computer.

I have attached the downloaded IR file from the remote HERE
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be low batteries.
wified

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Not the batteries Reply with quote

I tried 3 different sets of new batteries, and I can still only download from the remote. Upload won't work - gives me the same error.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you happen to have another JP1.2 or JP1.3 remote lying around? a neighbor? (Comcast STB's have UEI remotes so look for one of those)

I'd first try to see if you can download/upload to another remote. That'll get the remote out of the equation. you've already done the easy part of going to a new computer so if the remote is good, then you've got to suspect the cable/connection.

i highly recommend Tommy's USB thumb interface. I used to have a serial adapter and a home-made JP1.3 interface that I would use (and it worked) but there was always something that came unplugged. The single interface is fantastic.

(I'll ship you one of the home made JP1.3 interfaces that I know work if you want, PM me and send me a couple of bux for shipping and off it goes. I have no need for it anymore since I have one of Tommy's interfaces and switched to Mac and have no serial port now anyway)

-bill
wified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of Tommy's JP1.3 interfaces:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405

and this fixed the problem.

My advice: DO NOT BUY the JP1.x interface from DIYgadet.com if you are using it with the Atlas OCAP and Vista. I wrote DIY about this, and they didn't even try to help fix it. And they wouldn't even respond to my request to return the product to them.

UPDATE: I finally did hear back from DIYgadet.com. They offered to allow me to send everything back for a refund. But, since they are in Canada, it would cost me about as much as the refund to send it back. Again, just get Tommy's interface - it just works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: