JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Device Upgrade file for NEC Kodi remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sterling

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Best Device Upgrade file for NEC Kodi remote Reply with quote

I'm running Kodi/LibreELEC on a AMLogic S905W box. The box uses the NEC IR code format. The remote that comes with the box doesn't have very many buttons. However, additional NEC commands can be learned and mapped to perform various functions. I'm looking for recommendations of a "generic" NEC device upgrade that I can load into my X-Sight Touch and use to map additional functions to control Kodi.
Any recommendations for device upgrades to try?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is completely the wrong approach, what you need to do is learn the few buttons that are on the original remote and create an upgrade for it, using the device codes and the OBC button codes from the learned buttons.

Then add more buttons using different OBCs to see what they do, or if the additional functions have been documented somewhere, use those codes.
Sterling

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll give that approach a try. I may need some help getting through it since even though I've been using JP1 for years I'm still a noob in many respects.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here goes...

1. Learn the buttons using your remote
2. Download the memory using RMIR
3. View the learned signals to see what the protocol and device codes are.
4. Start up RM
5. Select your remote, select the protocol, enter the device codes
6. Switch to the Functions tab
7. Enter the OBCs from the learned signals
8. Switch to the Buttons tab
9. Assigned the functions to the buttons of your choice.
10. Save the RMDU file.
11. Switch back to RMIR
12. Go to the Devices tab, click New, click Open, select your RMDU file, click OK.
13. Go to the General tab and assign this new code to a device button.

That's the quick high-level, if you want a more detailed step-by-step, check the Wiki.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the libreELEC web page on remotes ( https://wiki.libreelec.tv/infrared_remotes#ir_remote_configuration ) seems to suggest you should be able to map the NEC signals to whatever button you want.

So you can look into the current mapping file for your generic NEC based remote and update it. Then go and create a RMIR device upgrade with the NEC based device.subdevice and the appropriate functions mapped to buttons. Load this into X-Sight Touch.
Sterling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob
The Wiki is quite useful. The first problem I've encountered is several learned signals have "Learn:__missingX" in the Function column of the Buttons tab. These buttons don't show up in any of the other tabs so I can't do anything with them. However, they do work when using the remote.
I can probably work around this by assigning new codes to them but is there a better way to address this?

The Robman wrote:
ok, here goes...

1. Learn the buttons using your remote
2. Download the memory using RMIR
3. View the learned signals to see what the protocol and device codes are.
4. Start up RM
5. Select your remote, select the protocol, enter the device codes
6. Switch to the Functions tab
7. Enter the OBCs from the learned signals
8. Switch to the Buttons tab
9. Assigned the functions to the buttons of your choice.
10. Save the RMDU file.
11. Switch back to RMIR
12. Go to the Devices tab, click New, click Open, select your RMDU file, click OK.
13. Go to the General tab and assign this new code to a device button.

That's the quick high-level, if you want a more detailed step-by-step, check the Wiki.
Sterling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, once I get a good set of functions this is what I plan on doing.

binky123 wrote:
Also, the libreELEC web page on remotes(https://wiki.libreelec.tv/infrared_remotes#ir_remote_configuration) seems to suggest you should be able to map the NEC signals to whatever button you want.

So you can look into the current mapping file for your generic NEC based remote and update it. Then go and create a RMIR device upgrade with the NEC based device.subdevice and the appropriate functions mapped to buttons. Load this into X-Sight Touch.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterling wrote:
Thanks Rob
The Wiki is quite useful. The first problem I've encountered is several learned signals have "Learn:__missingX" in the Function column of the Buttons tab. These buttons don't show up in any of the other tabs so I can't do anything with them. However, they do work when using the remote.
I can probably work around this by assigning new codes to them but is there a better way to address this?

Could you load your RMIR file to the Diagnosis Area, and then post a link to it here, and I'll take a look.
Sterling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25148
Thanks
The Robman wrote:
Sterling wrote:
Thanks Rob

Could you load your RMIR file to the Diagnosis Area, and then post a link to it here, and I'll take a look.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link goes to an RMDU file. You said you were having problems with learned signals which are present in the RMIR file that I asked for.
Sterling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, got confused. Here is a link to the rmir file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25149
I see there are some codes in the learned signals tab.
Thanks

The Robman wrote:
That link goes to an RMDU file. You said you were having problems with learned signals which are present in the RMIR file that I asked for.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see how some of them show -missing in the "name" column but they still show the proper function name in the "key" column, so I don't see any issue there.

Now, I do see that some of the learns are bad learns (ie, the ones that say "*none*" in the protocol column), so normally you'd need to re-learn those. However, most of them are the number buttons where we can easily guess the OBCs for those. Here are your number key OBCs:

0 = 48
1 = 49
2 = 50
3 = 51
4 = 52
5 = 53
6 = 54
7 = 55
8 = 56
9 = 57

So that just leaves VOL+ as a bad learn, and given that VOL- is 86, I would guess that VOL+ is either 85 or 87.

Just FYI, here's why you're getting bad learns. The NEC1 protocol just sends the data portion of the signal once, then if the button is held down it just sends a repeat flag for the duration. So, if you press the teaching button too soon, you just capture the repeating portion and there's no data in there.

Here's an upgrade file based on your learns. I included both options for VOL+ and assigned them to the CH+ and CH- buttons. You can test which one works and fix the file.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25150
Sterling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks, I'll give it a try.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: