JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6131 (old) Angle{Sleep} issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: 6131 (old) Angle{Sleep} issue Reply with quote

Hi all. It's been ages since I've been on the forum - I've been very self-service for years.

That said, we got a new bedroom TV, so I've recently dragged out the gear again and have been doing some programming on our old 6131s.

Got everything working the way I wanted (after some odd struggles with getting uploads to work reliably on my tablet PC), except that I can't seem to get my TV's sleep function to work correctly outside of running on that device.

I know I need to post my RM file, but I'm at work so that step will have to wait until I get home tonight. Until then, here's the basics, and maybe someone can confirm for me that I'm not crazy.

The Samsung Smart TV has a sleep function. I've tested it with the device upgrade in the files section here and it works fine if I change the remote to the TV device. I'm running some version of Extender 1, so changing to the tv device really means running the macro through V_TV, T_TV, O_TV, etc. In that mode, the sleep button works as expected.

Next step was to do a keymove to make the button also work in the modes where I'm controlling the TiVo and the DVD player, mapping to the same Angle {Sleep} button.

In those modes, not only does the key not work, I don't even get a light indicating that it's transmitting. Clearly I've blown it somewhere. (Although the handful of other keymoves that I'm using for Discrete Input select on the same unit all seem to work as expected.)

Here's the thing, like I said, it's been years since I messed seriously w/ JP1, but I have this tickle at the back of my brain that the old 6131s had something... odd, about a couple of their keys, and that the Sleep (and maybe the CC?) buttons are the problem children.

Am I out to lunch on this and I just have a regular "noob" JP1 issue?

Thanks in advance, and I'll post the RM file as soon as I can manage, tonight.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we really need to see is your RMIR file (or IR.exe file if you're still using that program) as that will show if you programmed the keymoves correctly.

But be aware that it is a long time since any of us messed with an old remote like the URC-6131 too, not that it isn't still a great remote, so we may all need some refreshers.

The SLEEP button has indeed been a problem child for many remotes, but I don't recall if the URC-6131 is one of them. But regardless, the extenders usually do away with all of those restrictions.

When you use an extender, you really don't have device modes in the traditional sense anymore, so you have to program macros like V_TV, T_TV, O_TV, etc to get the remote into the "mode" that you want, and you say that your TV macro does get the SLEEP button to work, so what do the other macros look like? Which button group is SLEEP included in, in your extender, and how did you program the keymove (ie, using an EFC or a key-copy) ?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the 6131 made in that era when UEI was moving from 3 digit to 5 digit EFC;s and keymoves needed the extender to work at all?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Herbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the RMIR file.

The keymove was added via the RM keymove tab. I tried to put it in as EFC, but after closing the tab it's showing as "Function", but it has selected the correct item from the device upgrade. If I click the EFC and HEX radio buttons, they all have the correct values.

I admit that the keymove tab is a bit of a mess. I simply started with the previously existing download from the remove (since most of my original JP1 stuff was on a now-defunct laptop). I could clean up some unused stuff there, but since things are otherwise working, I wanted to leave well enough alone.

EDIT: To answer Rob's other question, the button in question should be in the "Other" group, if I'm reading the correct extender documentation.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Wasn't the 6131 made in that era when UEI was moving from 3 digit to 5 digit EFC;s and keymoves needed the extender to work at all?

It was from the transition period and there were some shortcomings, but I forget the details.

Herbie, I looked at your RMIR file, but I can't see what's wrong with it. However, I have never used the extender for the 6131, so you may need someone who is familiar with it to help.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was urc-6131N that had problems with two keys, since the original urc-6131 had one key named CC/AUDIO, the separate CC & Audio keys on the URC-6131N were linked, what was programmed on one appeared on the other.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded it into my extended 2k 6131 and ran few things in IRscope.
I'm totally confused. Mind you, I haven't done a thing with 6131 in over 3 yrs, so forgot how to read/use what I see.
What will help is if I could see the protocols, devices for PVR and DVD. I don't believe they're all NECx2 device 7.7, yet that's what's coming up on the scope for sleep, 5, and play buttons, same as on tv/2020.
Sleep is in O=other keyset.
Device macros - I gather just press Device buttons, correct?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restarted this file. So update:
I read more in the .rmir file's Macros and keymoves, pressed device buttons more carefully.
This time I do see that DVD and PVR issue Sony20 protocol. Is that correct? Isn't one of them Tivo?
If yes, then the sleep keymoves appear to work using TV/2020 Necx2 protocol when pressed in sequences such as [DVD, play, sleep, play] where I get NECx2 sleep in between 2 Sony20 codes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it should be doing according to the RMIR file. I tried to load it into my old 6131 but apparently I have a 1k version.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what IRscope saw when I was in DVD mode and then PVR mode after quick press of TV/sleep:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25126

Edit: Hi Vicky!
Herbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth.

I think I'm following most of what you're asking.

Yes, the PVR primarily uses the built-in 0618 TiVo code.
Yes, the DVD is a Sony, so the Sony20 makes sense. I don't remember if that's an upgrade or if I'm using mostly built-in device. I will get that laptop booted up again (old and slow, so it takes a bit...)

Yes, the TV is using the 2020 Necx2. It's a "smart tv", so I suspect that's why the upgrade was built as a VCR type device (so as to have the transport controls, etc.)

Thanks for your help thus far, everyone.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbie, I'm not sure my pvr test sequence was ok, so ignore that in the picture I posted.
Give me an easy sequence of 3-4 buttons to press to test something on the pvr. Make it easy on me, pressing shifts isn't my favorite activity.
Then we can check against what you expect.
Remember, I don't see your device details, so don't know what buttons to push. So far I've been using keymoves list which is a terrible way to attempt to test.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just redid PVR test sequence, made sure I pressed the right buttons, unlike in test3.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25127
TV sleep comes in between pvr guide and info.
So I think your file should be working. And it does look like 0618 is a Sony20 protocol.
Herbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, I've learned something. I wantedto just start with known-working stuff and just cloned the (working) TV-button macro over to the PVR button.

Thus, everything that works in "TV mode" should work after the PVR button is pressed and that macro runs. Except, that it doesn't. The Sleep button, even after the TV macro runs (via the PVR button), doesn't seem to send any signal.

No idea why that might be, as the TV macro just straightforwardly selects all the TV groups (V, T, and O).

At this point, I think I've wasted enough of all your time. I'll dig a little more, but at for now, having to change over to the TV to setup the sleep timer is not so big a problem.

Either I've got a very complex problem, or a very stupid simple one, and neither is worth banging our heads against the wall for.

Thanks so much to everyone who looked at this for me.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you bailed out. In case you're still here, I didn't. I wanted to check signal repeat idea.
See zip file. It includes ICT file, picture, your file with a test macro:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25129
When you and I press TV sleep, we're likely sending few repeats, get NECx2.
I see that in a macro, just 1 signal spits out as NECx. Try to put sleep, sleep to see if it'll work. Or perhaps Vicky or Rob can modify to send repeats automatically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: