JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BBTV New Set Top Box Old Remote Bin File Problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: BBTV New Set Top Box Old Remote Bin File Problem Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I recently got a new cable set top box. It uses the same remote control as the old one. However, whenever I enter a channel number through Slingbox, the command comes out in duplicates in quick successions. For example, channel 36 would come out 33333 followed by 66666. Sometimes it arbitrarily adds a bunch of zeros at the end. It seems that the speed at which the remote sends the signals is not compatible with the speed at which the set-top box receives them. Could anyone be so kind as to help me with this issue please? Thank you so much!!

Here is the bin file for my set-top box.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10393
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I would normally be able to help, but this BIN file was a one-off recorded under a system Sling have discontinued.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alanrichey!

I did notice their custom bin file upload is only possible through their legacy desktop program and no longer on the website like it used to. Sorry but I'm not sure I understand your reply, it seems you suggest the problem is with the BIN file itself. Is it possible that I ship you my remote control with prepaid return shipping, so we can create a new BIN from scratch? Or is there any other way we can do to solve the issue? Thank you so much like always!

-Allen
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most BIN files are produced in a controlled manner and can be customised later. The person who produced this BIN file did it on a non-standard way so it can't be changed.

I can certainly build you a new BIN file, from the original remote, although it might be a waste of time as there are only a few IR Protocols that we can tweak to remove the repeating signal, and if it doesn't use any of those then we are stuck. I'm in the UK BTW.

The other solution is if you know someone who uses a Logitech Harmony Remote Control. We can use that to figure it out.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the one who recorded the bbtv 7405 on the remotes.slingbox.com and asked you guys to create a bin file for me. I remember it was a "MCE" protocol with device and sub devie 38, and 80. Now I am not sure why it would cause the new stb to act that way. Can you create a custom protocol to a "MCE" protocol? I don't know.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't, I don't have the expertise, but there maybe there is someone on the forum who can tweak the MCE protocol to set the repeat rate to zero ?

But before we do that I have built a BIN file based on those parameters/. Let's see if it works and if it exhibits the same symptoms.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25082
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, is the non-standard thing that you mention the fact that the protocol shows up as RC6-6-32 when you import the bin file, rather than MCE? If so, that is not a fault of the creator but is an artifact of how RM imports bin files. If you try importing the bin file that you created, you'll notice that it also shows up as RC6-6-32.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Alan, I just tested your new BIN file. Unfortunately, the stb doesn't respond to any command at all. I just reverted back to the old bin by eferz.

I have Logitech Harmony, but they're the old school 200 and 300 series. Does that do any good? Please provide me the instructions for this Harmony remote method as it seems to be more economical than shipping you the actual remote.

Yes, according to the discussion found in the following thread, it does appear that this stb requires MCE protocol:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13735&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Is anyone familiar with eferz, the original BIN builder? it seems like he/she's been inactive on this forum for awhile now. But he seems to have the key/knowledge to change the signal repeat rate.

Thank you so much, everyone!

Last edited by 78904321 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Alan, is the non-standard thing that you mention the fact that the protocol shows up as RC6-6-32 when you import the bin file, rather than MCE? If so, that is not a fault of the creator but is an artifact of how RM imports bin files. If you try importing the bin file that you created, you'll notice that it also shows up as RC6-6-32.
No, the original file was created using the system that Sling tried where they had an IR sensor in the box and it would learn the signals. You could then use the IR blaster to learn the signals.

So I was originally going to say I didn't have access to the RMDU file but I have just seen it in the File Section. Except it is an old one and defines only 34 buttons, whereas if I import the BIN file I get a lot more buttons but with a PID protocol and an incorrect set of OBC codes (try it). So all in all it's a bit of a mess.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

78904321 wrote:
Alan, I just tested your new BIN file. Unfortunately, the stb doesn't respond to any command at all.
That's probably because importing the BIN file gives the wrong results. Although the higher numbers (7-9) should operate the STB, although with the wrong numbers,

78904321 wrote:
I have Logitech Harmony, but they're the old school 200 and 300 series. Does that do any good?
What software do you use to access them ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Forum Sticky at the top, and here are my answers to the troubleshoot questions. Alan, I have answered your question in number 12. Thank you!

1. What model Slingbox do you have?

Slingbox Pro HD

2. Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button (or selected the file and tapped ‘Continue’ on the M1 & M2)?

No

3. Did you give the commands plenty of time to react? (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

Yes

4. If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files?

N/A

5. After completing the setup do any of the buttons work?

Yes but has repeat signal issue

6. If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button? (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button. You should see a white (not red) flash. Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for). If you are using a 350/500/M1/M2 have you tried using the external blaster?

IR blaster working fine

7. Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster? On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly. Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass.

IR Blaster placement is fine

8. Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote?

Yes

9. Are you sure your device is set to use IR ? Many boxes can operate on RF or IR and if it is set to RF then the Slingbox will not affect it.

Not sure

10. If you have a device that supports multiple remote addresses (DirecTV, Dish Network, Tivo…) are you sure the remote address is set to the default ?

No such device

11. Have you tried resetting the Slingbox. ? This has been found to help.

Yes

12. Do you have access to a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote? If so let me know.

Yes. The software I use is the MyHarmony desktop app version 1.0.0.97. Please see screenshot below.

https://imgur.com/a/UyMkT
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, make sure you have the STB on your Harmony and then PM me your login details.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live across the globe from where my stb is. I will need my family member to teach the Harmony these buttons one by one first. Will try get back to you soon. Thank you Alan.

edit: looks like I spoke too soon. My dad will not have his laptop handy until later next week. I will report back as soon as I finish registering the remote buttons on my Harmony.

Last edited by 78904321 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alan,

I have sent you a pm with my Harmony login info. Sorry for the long delay. Thank you for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: