JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

duration of key "pressed" in macro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: duration of key "pressed" in macro Reply with quote

I'm hoping you can help me shorten the key press duration in a macro.

I am using a Atlas 30333033 remote with a Coby LEDTV 1526 tv. Unfortunately the TV does not have discrete input (source) codes, one has to select a menu and then use the UP & DOWN keys. This works fine manually but when I include the commands in a macro, the UP (or DOWN) key is triggered twice, therefore missing one of the options.

How can I shorten the duration of the UP & Down key "presses"?

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do is use an extender, which is available for the remote you are using. The extender has a couple of things that might help you.

1: ToadTog, a technique that remembers in the remote the state of the TV. Most of us use this to "invent" discrete on/off commands. So you can set it up so that the remote remembers if the TV is on, so when you push he "discrete on" command it won't send a command to the TV but if the TV is off it will send the power toggle command. There have been some who have used this technique to remember input state on the remotes

2: the extender shortens (considerably) the time between "keypresses" in macros, this might help you

Often times manufacturers do include "discrete" commands to select inputs and turn the tV on/off. But they are not on the original remote. These can be discovered by building upgrades that use every key value and then carefully going through them and finding what they do. First I would check the upgrade section to see if there is an upgrade for your TV and someone has done the work already.

If no one has done the work what you need to do is use the remote (un-extended) to learn all of the keys from the existing remote. Then build an upgrade. Sort the upgrade by all of the OBC's (or hex values, or EFC's, doesn't matter) and then fill in the table for all of the other values (I use OBC_xx as the name). Then assign all of those to keys on the remote (e.g. OBC_23 is assigned to the digit 1 key) and fill up the remote. Now point it at the TV and see if those keys do something. IF they do, write them down and rename them (e.g. I found out tha OBC_23 is discrete HDMI 1)

It's tedious (and hopefully someone else has already done it) but it might give you the commands you want.

Oh, and when you're finished upload the upgrade with all of the discovered keys to the upgrade section so someone else doesn't have to do all of that work!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preferred metbod is to create a custom upgrade. I’m not sure what protocol your setup code is using, but we have non-repeating versions of many common protocols included in Remotemaster that we devloped for the slingbox. These protocols work with the 30333033 remote. If you dig through the settings in rm you’ll find an option to show slingbox protocols. Then restart rm and the non-repeating protocols will be available.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I tried unclemiltie's idea of using an extender and that has solved the problem nicely. BUT I have lost VPT functionality. Can you point me towards some resources to resolve this.

thanks
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.

I have figured out how to do this (see previous post) using Devices Specific Macros.

Sorry for posting before doing enough experimentation.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul@PaulRina.ca wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I tried unclemiltie's idea of using an extender and that has solved the problem nicely. BUT I have lost VPT functionality. Can you point me towards some resources to resolve this.

thanks

In general, there is no such thing as VPT. The extender has commands that tell the remote which "device" to use for which key sets.

So for example, if you have your DVD plugged into your receiver, the receiver plugged into your TV and you want the play/pause/etc buttons to go to the DVD, the volume buttons to go to the receiver and the menu buttons to go to the TV you would do something like this:

Dev_TV, Set_Menu,Dev_DVD, Set_transport, Dev_AUD, Set_Vol

So in essence you have not only "VPT" but you have control of where all of the button sets go. The list of keys in each key set is in the extender read-me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: