JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-2020 RDF
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This appears to be the mirror image of the pin-out of other 5 pin remotes.

The URC-8820BC2, for example, has pins:
1 2 3 4 6, (No connection, Yellow, Black, Green, White)

The URC-2020 has pins:
6 4 3 2 1 (White, Green, Black, Yellow, No connection)

Using Tommy Tyler's 6-pin to 5-pin adapter design, you'd just turn it upside down.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10722

Of course you wouldn't need an adapter for a cable with individual plugs on each wire, just some long pins.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting very strange. My URC-2020 arrived today and based on the info from Inolin and mdavej I tried downloading it with the 5-pin adapter turned upside down (in comparison with its position for the URC-8820BC2). I get the same behaviour as Paul: No remotes found. I've tried it with the same orientation as for the 8820 but still the same, no remotes found. The adapter and interface cable work fine with the 8820, I tried it to make sure.

The only difference I can see between this setup and Inolin's is that pin 1 of the adapter is connected (to pin 1 of the interface cable). I don't have the means to make a new adapter in which pin 1 is not connected. Could that really be the issue? I'm not sure whether mdavej's post implies that pin 1 is not internally connected in the remote or that we should not make a connection to it, but the adapter with it connected works fine with the 8820.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the implication is that 1 is not internally connected in the remote. I think pin 1 is VDD, a voltage source which our USB interfaces don't need. If you measure across 1 and 3 from the remote, I think you'll get 3V. If you were to connect CTS or VCC to VDD it could cause problems, possibly even damage.

I recommend you remove the pin 1 connection if possible.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave. I am reluctant to snip a pin off either the 6-pin or 5-pin connector on the adapter, so I have ordered a Chip Partner cable and paid for expedited shipping to the UK. It is estimated to arrive between 4 and 11 February. That way, I can just connect the 4 required wires using my existing and unmodified 6-to-5-pin adapter.

I just hope that I haven't already damaged the remote with the tests so far. I think that unlikely, though, as the remote still appears to function normally. Also, when I first got the URC-8820BC2 I didn't know what way round the connections should be. I tried all four possibilities of the adapter to the remote and the cable to the adapter and the right one was the last one! That didn't cause any damage to either cable or remote so I hope the same is true this time.

But why do we have pin 1 connected in our interface cables if it is not needed and is a potential source of damage?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial interface uses Pin 1 as a power source, but the USB doesn't. In both cases pin 1 and 5 are not connected to anything on the PC end, so they're harmless.

Compare these 2 designs of Tommy's:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5958
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10864
lnolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemoteMaster v2.06 build 2
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
Pin 1 is connected on Tommy's cables, and supplies +5V or +3.3V to the remote. The advantage of this is that one can read/write to the remote even if the batteries are flat or missing.

Regarding no response from the remote, one easy way to tell if at least the ground and reset pins are connected correctly is to use JP2Sniffer. On the Low Level tab, first click the Set RTS radio button and then click Clear RTS. The remote should blink twice. RMIR of course sets and clears RTS, but it is also manipulating the write line, so there is more opportunity for a false positive.

If set/clear RTS works but the remote isn't downloading, a longshot would be to click the 1 Stop Bit check box and then attempt a High Level download. All of our software is set up to use 2 stop bits, but I believe that at least the JP2 MAXQ processors actually send 1 stop bit. Probably this won't help but it is easy to try.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave (3FG), thanks for the info and suggestions. With the 2020 connected the way we believe is correct, i.e. with the 5-pin adapter inverted from its orientation for the 8820BC2, set then clear RTS does not give any flashes but the remote sees something as on clear it turns the backlight on. I then inverted the connector, to the same orientation as the 8820BC2, and got exactly the same behaviour.

I repeated the original orientation after taking the batteries out, in case the interface was providing power, but that time gave no response at all.

Does this provide any useful info at all? I don't see much else I can try till I get the Chip Partner cable with its separate leads. I am finding it all very puzzling, especially since Inolin has communication working.
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inolin:

Thanks for the chart of pin to cable colour for the 5-pin remotes. Could you possibly give us a chart of cable colour to the "standard" 6-pin remote.

That way I can simply use jumper cables to connect my 6-pin interface cable to the 5-pin remote.

Many thanks
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, the numbers (1 2 3 4 6) used by mdavej in his post above are those for the 6-pin connector. Pin 6 of the 6-pin goes to pin 5 of the 5-pin, pins 1 2 3 4 are the same on both 5 and 6 pin.

Do let us know if you get a connection working in this way.
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried using jumpers to connect my 6-pin connector to the 5-pin on the 2020. I have connected 6-pin pins 2 to 2 (5-pin), 3 to 3, 4 to 4, and 6 to 5. I have done this numbering the 5-pin pins left to right and right to left. NO JOY! I still get the message "remote not found"!

I'd love to hear any other suggestions.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, that does not surprise me. I didn't think the fact that pin 1 was connected was the cause of our problems, and that is the only difference between what you are doing now and what you and I originally did with the 6-pin connector and the adapter. But you and I are both using cables of Tommy's design, mine an original from Tommy and yours from TxSat. My current thought is that there must be some difference between Tommy's design and that of the Chinese cables of the sort that Inolin is using, and that is the source of the problem.

My Chinese cable from Chip Partner is scheduled to arrive some time this week, so I will then be able to test this hypothesis. I will keep you informed when it arrives.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted an RDF for the URC-2020B0-B1. There is as yet no map file for the remote, but the RDF can be used without one. RMIR will simply give you a message that there is no map file and a default will be used.

Apart from this, I believe the RDF to be complete but it is possible the remote has some features that I am not aware of that are not represented in the RDF. It seems to be a pretty basic remote. It does not support key moves or learning, in that it does not accept the 994 or 975 commands so these are not supported for it in the RDF. It does support macros. It supports two devices, TV and Cable, but has no device selection. It is simply that the TV_Power,, Input, Vol+, Vol- and Mute keys send the signals for TV and all other keys send that for Cable.

3FG has solved the connection problem. We do not understand how the connections given by Inolin have ever worked. He had pins 2 to 5 of the 5-pin connector (with pin 1 on the right when viewed from the front) connected to pins 2,3,4,6 of a standard 6-pin connector. None of Paul, 3FG and I have got this to work. The connection that 3FG has found is as follows. First REMOVE THE BATTERIES AND LEAVE THEM OUT WHILE USING RMIR. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Then connect pins 1,3,4,5 of the 5-pin connector to 2,3,4,6 of the 6-pin connector. The difference is that pin 2 of the 6-pin connector (Yellow wire in a Chip Partner cable) goes to pin 1, not pin 2, of the 5-pin one. This has been found by 3FG and me to work for both downloading and uploading - for me, with the Chip Partner cable that finally arrived Smile - though 3FG thinks that there may be cables for which uploading in this way will not work.

Please report any problems, either with the RDF or with connectivity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: