JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kickstarter Campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nohjy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Kickstarter Campaign Reply with quote

I have grown very fond of JP1, RMIR and my remote of choice, the Xsight Touch / Nevo C3. That said, I think there has to be a better remote option. With all the programming and hardware knowledge that exists in these forums, wouldn't it make sense for a group here to take on the project of creating the ultimate programmable remote. I have to believe their are enough jp1 people who would be willing to fund it, myself for one. Actually, you are half-way there as the software to program the remote and the code database is already available. I dont know that the goals have to be that lofty either. For instance, I just want a more ergonomical and durable remote With the same capabilities as my Xsight.

Just a thought...
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me chime in on this.

First of all, IR control is considered a legacy technology, so... It may be a good idea to throw in a (subset of) RF (315/433/868 MHz), bluetooth, WLAN (TCP and UDP sockets), etc, to make it attractive.

Consider for example my little project, with the firmware AGirs. It contains a sending engine, learning, and receiving. There is support for a simple LCD display and 433 MHz RF, and Ethernet (in the sense of the Arduino Ethernet (W5100) or Ethernet2 (W5500) library). Some improvements are easily suggested: Replace the aged Atmega328 board with a modern 32 bitter; Tenex3.x comes to my mind, but there are several alternatives. Touch display. Most importantly, a keyboard.

But there is an incredible difference between a experimental, possibly breadboard based design and a robust, commercial-quality "clicker" that can be used by a drunk user or an infant without breaking. Here lies "the rub".

A very interesting, alternative project, possibly more realistic, would be to develop a completely free (open source) firmware for a remote like an XSight or Harmony.

Another very interesting alternative is to develop a free remote control apps for Android, possibly also for iOS. A few years ago, many smartphones came with an "IR Blaster", but it seems to be considered "legacy" now. Instead, a device like my above mentioned Arduino Nano, the IrToy, or the USB IrDroid (this is essentially a stripped-down IrToy to a beefed-up price) can be used. To my knowledge, no free (open source) suitable app exists. ("irplus" comes resonably close, but is not open source.) Such an app can easily support bluetooth and TCP. Due to the hardware, it comes with a very good touch display , WLAN, bluetooth, etc.

Food for thoughts...
nohjy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Let me chime in on this.

First of all, IR control is considered a legacy technology, so... It may be a good idea to throw in a (subset of) RF (315/433/868 MHz), bluetooth, WLAN (TCP and UDP sockets), etc, to make it attractive.

Consider for example my little project, with the firmware AGirs. It contains a sending engine, learning, and receiving. There is support for a simple LCD display and 433 MHz RF, and Ethernet (in the sense of the Arduino Ethernet (W5100) or Ethernet2 (W5500) library). Some improvements are easily suggested: Replace the aged Atmega328 board with a modern 32 bitter; Tenex3.x comes to my mind, but there are several alternatives. Touch display. Most importantly, a keyboard.

But there is an incredible difference between a experimental, possibly breadboard based design and a robust, commercial-quality "clicker" that can be used by a drunk user or an infant without breaking. Here lies "the rub".

A very interesting, alternative project, possibly more realistic, would be to develop a completely free (open source) firmware for a remote like an XSight or Harmony.

Another very interesting alternative is to develop a free remote control apps for Android, possibly also for iOS. A few years ago, many smartphones came with an "IR Blaster", but it seems to be considered "legacy" now. Instead, a device like my above mentioned Arduino Nano, the IrToy, or the USB IrDroid (this is essentially a stripped-down IrToy to a beefed-up price) can be used. To my knowledge, no free (open source) suitable app exists. ("irplus" comes resonably close, but is not open source.) Such an app can easily support bluetooth and TCP. Due to the hardware, it comes with a very good touch display , WLAN, bluetooth, etc.

Food for thoughts...

This is exactly what I am getting at, you are obviously a person with an engineering background and there many others here that have complimentary skillsets who are passionate about the total control JP1/RMIR affords us over our A/V components. If you take the concept further, we could find ourselves into the world of home automation as well. I just think there so much creativity here that there is a way to start by creating the perfect HT remote for the computer literate. Unfortunately, i do not think the Xsight or any of the other JP1 capable remotes offer a great hardware platform. I actually think the Harmony One and the Elite offer far better ergonomics and, while I love my Xsights, they are a disaster in terms of build quality. I own 4 of them just because i know each of them will have a very limited useful life.

On another note, I recognize that there is a lot of competition in the universal remote world, but none of those companiex cater specifically to an open source community and JP1 is so mature that I have to believe, niche as it may be, there is an opportunity here. Isn't this basically how Oppo got started? And they are now considered the standard bearer in the world of optical disc players, including Blu-ray and UHD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: