JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7962 Extender / DSM or get something else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phobia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: URC-7962 Extender / DSM or get something else? Reply with quote

Hi all,

It feels like its been a long time since poking around the JP1 site - nice to see some of the old faces are still active here.

I've still got a working 15-2116 remote, and had moved onto RCA RCRP05B remotes, bit have now bricked a 2nd unit and am looking for other options.

A while ago, I purchased a few URC-7962 remotes ... should have read up on this first, but I assumed all JP1.x remotes were created equal.

Anyway - I've got three of these - two still in sealed packaging, and am wanting to try to get them working. I've managed to get some of my old upgrades working and even added a new Dreamlink (IPTV box) upgrade which I also uploaded to the file section here.

The thing I can't seem to figure out I think I probably already know, but want someone else to confirm. I wasn't able to find an extender for this remote, and the few threads I found on it didn't make it sound overly promising.

Am I right to assume the DSM etc. aren't possible for this remote at present?

I am located in Toronto Canada where the local cable company (Rogers) uses the Atlas remotes that I believe should be more flexible (1056B01).

That said, would the Nevo C2 be a better option? Apart from having to get them shipped from overseas, they look like a more modern remote. I've got the JP1 cables though, including one which works with the URC-7962 by TxSat, so I figure I've got more than one option.

Thoughts, feelings, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

P
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: URC-7962 Extender / DSM or get something else? Reply with quote

Phobia wrote:

I am located in Toronto Canada where the local cable company (Rogers) uses the Atlas remotes that I believe should be more flexible (1056B01).

That said, would the Nevo C2 be a better option? Apart from having to get them shipped from overseas, they look like a more modern remote. I've got the JP1 cables though, including one which works with the URC-7962 by TxSat, so I figure I've got more than one option.

Thoughts, feelings, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

P

I can't answer your questions about your current remote, however you've mentioned two remotes that I am familiar with, the Nevo C2 and the Atlas OCAP 1056B01.

I really like the Nevo for not having to remember what functions I have where, and for the large number of devices the remote can handle with ease. I also like that I can name the soft buttons with MEANINGFUL names! It is also very attractive and easy to use while you are looking at the buttons. But the trade off is that you will be punching lots of buttons, and for me at least it took a lot of work to get all the buttons I needed for each "activity". It took me a month to convert from a standard remote to the Nevo.

I also really like the backlit version of the ATLAS 1056B01 remote. The drawback to this remote is that it is really unattractive. I painted some of my other Atlas's but these have the letters above the numbers, which happens to be very useful on my equipment. The Atlas IR emitter is more directional, so even though it is backlit, the remote is harder to operate if you need to look at it, but the good news is the distinctive layout pretty much means that if its your daily driver you won't need to look at it much. If you are picking an Atlas up on Ebay, make sure it is a 1056B01 version.
The Atlas, as the 1056B03 looks identical but is an undesirable model, unless of course you are here looking for a technical challenge. The 03 variety uses the MAXQ chip, and the forum members that actually know how to get things done with the MaxQ are scarce and overworked. The backlit models have white-ish volume and channel buttons, while the non backlit have dark blue volume and channel buttons. In my experience the Atlases are less likely to brick than the RCRP05B. I use Atlases as testers and so they are hooked up a lot, and I haven't bricked one, on the other hand I've bricked two RCRP05B's when disconnecting them, and those were just remotes I was updating, not something that I connect maybe 25 times in a session.

So either in my opinion the Nevo AND the Atlas are great choices and I would recommend trying them both, but that is just me. I really like them both.
Phobia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey @vickyg2003 - thanks for your reply.

So - in terms of URC-7962 (MAXQ612) development, you mentioned there are scarce resources available in terms of people working on remotes based on that processor. I think its probably safe to assume then than an extender for this remote which is no longer available will likely not happen, unless I figure out how to adapt a similar existing remote/extender myself. (not likely as I've got four small children!)

I've gone ahead and ordered two Nevo C2 remotes from eBay. With any luck, I'll get them in the next 2-4 weeks. They 'shipped' very quickly after closing out the order, but I've seen orders from China take 2 months to arrive.

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up an Atlas OCAP 1056B01 as they are available locally for $10-15 (Canadian). I have found the IR emitter on my URC-7962 to be not so great compared to either the RCA or old radio shack unit I have in use today, so your comment about the directional nature of the Atlas has be a bit concerned. How is the Nevo in terms of the IR?

In your opinion, is there another option with a stronger IR emitter I should consider? At this point, I'm willing to experiment - I'd even consider purchasing more of the RCA remotes, except they are extremely fragile - both in terms of bricking, and I've found the battery covers start getting a bit loose as well creating an annoying rattling. (stuff like that annoys me)

Thanks again for your thoughts - appreciate it!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phobia wrote:
Hey @vickyg2003 - thanks for your reply.

So - in terms of URC-7962 (MAXQ612) development, you mentioned there are scarce resources available in terms of people working on remotes based on that processor. I think its probably safe to assume then than an extender for this remote which is no longer available will likely not happen, unless I figure out how to adapt a similar existing remote/extender myself. (not likely as I've got four small children!)

You never know who is going to come along and take up the hobby. Someone that likes the remote, may want to spend the time developing an extender. I did several, and I'm not a likely candidate at all. Its an addiction. Once you get bitten you just can't stop. . . .

Quote:

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up an Atlas OCAP 1056B01 as they are available locally for $10-15 (Canadian). I have found the IR emitter on my URC-7962 to be not so great compared to either the RCA or old radio shack unit I have in use today, so your comment about the directional nature of the Atlas has be a bit concerned. How is the Nevo in terms of the IR?

In your opinion, is there another option with a stronger IR emitter I should consider? At this point, I'm willing to experiment - I'd even consider purchasing more of the RCA remotes, except they are extremely fragile - both in terms of bricking, and I've found the battery covers start getting a bit loose as well creating an annoying rattling. (stuff like that annoys me)

Thanks again for your thoughts - appreciate it!

That comment was based on pointing. I use Atlases in Florida where the sunlight is a downright hostile to IR. Atlases work fine. They just need to point them. The Atlas has 2 IR emitters, but they are close together, the NEVO's have them about an inch apart and give you the front end is sloped to give you a great firing angle. I like the bigger emitter -spread for IR coverage, but I haven't measured anything. They just "seem" to have better coverage. My older JP1 remotes have just 1 IR emitter and those require more precise pointing. I wouldn't even consider trying to get them to work where we have the strong sun issues. I'm sure you will be happy with both types of remotes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word about the Nevos. They use a black rubber finish on the black plastic which has proven to not be very long lasting. It's fairly easy to rub off and get the remote down to a shiny black plastic finish instead of the rubber finish, and many of the Chinese sellers are doing this themselves and then calling the remotes "used" even though they are still "new old stock".

This is just FYI in case you see scratches on the remote from the Chinese seller cleaning it, or if you have degraded rubber on it.
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to you both! Appreciate your thoughtful responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: