JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

convert remote code to ReportMappingTable hex code?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jriker1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: convert remote code to ReportMappingTable hex code? Reply with quote

Probably not the intent of the group, but does anyone know if there is a way to extract the power button command for a particular remote in my programmable remote, and convert that to the appropriate hex code to append to the ReportMappingTable field in the Windows registry? Would be like under
SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\HidIr\\Remotes\\745a17a 0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

in the registry as an example.

I know I can append things like:

5B 00 00 00 04 04 3D

Which would be take the red button on the remote, and send Alt-F4 with it.

I have a problem that my remote has some codes in it that work great with my Intel NUC, but my XBox 360 media remotes don't work right so want to take the command for toggle power on/off and try and convert it to work thru the registry for my non programmable XBox 360 media remote.

Thanks.

JR
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question, but we can add alt-F4 to your JP1 remote with the new Windows MCE Keyboard upgrade thanks to Rob's code breaking skills.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jriker1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Alt-F4 was just an example. I've got that on my list to test. This is a separate project.

I'm having a problem that NO RC6 remotes are compatible with the IR receiver I'm using for whatever reason other than my JP1 based remote that has been programmed with Harmony media center commands. The power on and off work, the power toggle works, but on the XBox360 remotes it doesn't. I can program the right code into the registry for power if I knew what the code is on the harmony, just not sure how to get it. So call this reverse of the norm. Trying to take something out of my JP1 remote and put it into the ReportMappingTable in the Windows registry to alter the buttons of a "non-programmable" remote.

Thanks.

JR
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the guys were trying to talk you into this on your original mce post

I think this is what you want
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/247332/how-to-control-any-software-in-windows-with-your-mce-remote/amp/

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jriker1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More I think about this the more pointless it is. My thoughts and always open for corrections:

- When the device is on and in Windows, Windows registry or an app is defining what it does with each code the remote sends to the IR port.
- When the unit is in sleep mode, the operating system becomes pointless, its up to the bios to have a list of supported remote codes it will respond to when in sleep to turn the device back on.

So if I can use the power button to make a device go to sleep, that doesn't mean it will wake it up because sleep was managed by Windows, and using that same command to wake the device back up has to be baked into the bios or it will ignore the remote codes.

Is this accurate?

Thanks.

JR[/list]
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Nuc bios you have a choice of mce, xbox, or generic. I saw that while I was trying to get my NUC set up to test the MCE keyboard and mouse commands.

jriker1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound funny, but yours is probably older than mine. What I've learned in the forums at Intel is they seem to be following this process:

1. Come out with a new NUC.
2. NUC only listens to RC-6 commands and seems only the original MCE remote.
3. People complain about their remotes not working like the XBox 360 or XBox One media remotes.
4. They add additional remote codes and eventually the pulldown you have.
5. So then out comes another new NUC and starts again at step 2 above.

JR
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jriker1 wrote:

RC-6 (and RC-5) are problematic protocols because they include a toggle bit that changes value with each button press, so if the device in question requires this bit to be set correctly it renders most learning remotes useless. But if you are using a JP1 which has an upgrade loaded (rather than using learned signals) it will send the correct bit value.

I don't know if that's relevant here, just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jriker1 wrote:
This is going to sound funny, but yours is probably older than mine. What I've learned in the forums at Intel is they seem to be following this process:

1. Come out with a new NUC.
3. People complain about their remotes not working like the XBox 360 or XBox One media remotes.
4. They add additional remote codes and eventually the pulldown you have.
5. So then out comes another new NUC and starts again at step 2 above.

JR

I've got the skull canyon model, with the embarrassing skull on the top of the box. Feels like something a teanager would have, lol.

Did you visit the Bios and not see the dropdown where you enable the IR sensor and set up the remote?

jriker1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah in my case I took a Logitech remote and brought over the MCE remote controls. The discrete on and off work, but power toggle doesn't. Wish there was a way to hack the bios updates for the NUC and add in my own wake from sleep IR codes as it's a nightmare. Even though Intel's website specifically call out the XBox 360 black and the white remotes as compatible, neither will power on the device, just do everything else.

JR
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the box my NUC's IR was not reacting to signals. I didn't build my own, I picked it up already assembled. I also didn't install any software that might have set it up for me.

For anyone else following this looking to get their NUC onboard IR sensor working the first thing to do is go into the setup and make sure its enabled.

On a skull canyon you need to make sure the IR sensor is enabled and choose a remote controller.

Press F2 during boot,
On the Home screen choose the Advanced dropdown.
From the Advanced drop down select Devices
On the Devices screen select the Onboard Devices tab
On that there is Legacy Device Configuration
That's where you get to decide Generic Remote Control, RC6 Remote Control or xBox one Remote controller

You still need to get the CIR Consumers IR setup program from Intel. In my case I'm running Windows so it was just a matter of unzipping the file from intel and running the setup program.

At the Kodi site there are some instructions that look like they are for linux.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Intel_NUC

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: