JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR Custom Protocol Best Practice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: RMIR Custom Protocol Best Practice? Reply with quote

I use my protocol building super powers to solve a lot of problems with my equipment. I am trying to move to RMIR from IR. I have a lot of resistance, like if it isn't broke don't fix it. But with the Nevo my only option is RMIR.

For this remote I need

a custom RC-5 protocol that has a 50% duty cycle or my equipment misses 75% of my sends.
a custom Sharp protocol for my TV that has a small tweak in the frequency so that it isn't interpreted as a XMP by a cable top box.
Single ditto Nec1
a custom protocol for my Echostar DTVPal
custom Lasko Heater
Custom Lutron Lighting

and now I'm finding I need a custom -non repeating Nec1 Yamaha protocol, or my marriage isn't going to survive!

I added a Yamaha Receiver to the mix, that is the reason I switched to the Nevo, I also have an LG TV MODEL 55LS4500 that has a firmware bug. Any time it sees a bunch of Nec1 Dittos it gets louder. If its muted, it turns of the muting and gets louder. If the last command was a volume- , it gets louder. It doesn't matter how long ago the TV received its last signal it gets louder!!!! Now my husband is in denial about his hearing problem, and so he kind of enjoys this feature. I like to run the TV at about 16 if there is background noise, 11 without. I come into the room, and the TV is playing at a volume level of 30 and he doesn't notice it, because the TV is getting louder and louder on its own. He kept claiming that he wasn't adjusting the volume, and I didn't believe him. Now I realize that he wasn't doing this on purpose, LG is out to get me. So I had been using the single Nec1 ditto for my Nec in the room. This wasn't a problem in IR, I just had to see what custom protocols I was using and change the executor PID if necessary. RMIR on the other hand is very complicated in this respect.

So I've got to figure out a way to get my remotes to use my custom protocols and live happily with RMIR.

What is the best way to do this, for the tweaked protocols.
Is the method going to be different for a tweak vs a custom?

I'm thinking to go into the Nevo RDF and change the sharp and RC protocols to be :no so that I can force an upgrade.

Then add then replace the protocols in Protocol.ini, but this is going to cause me to drag my feet when upgrades come down the road....

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: