JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No Remotes Found

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kagazoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: No Remotes Found Reply with quote

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before, but I'm stuck. I downloaded and installed RMIR along with the maps and RDFs. I have a One For All universal remote connected to a Windows 7 computer via a USB JP1 cable. When I try to download from remote, I get the message, "No Remotes Found". I suspect I'm missing a driver but I have no idea where to find it. Any suggestions?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What remote do you have? What version of RMIR did you install (open RMIR and go to Help/About to check before answering this, to make quite sure the version is what you think it is)? You don't need any drivers for remotes connected via a USB connector on the remote, and Windows 7 should have in-built drivers for JP1.x interface leads. One more question relevant to certain remotes - what cable do you have and where did you get it from?
kagazoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: No Remotes Found Reply with quote

RMIR version is 2.02a. Remote is a One for All URC-8910B02. Cable is a USB cable I purchased on eBay. When I plug it in it shows up in Devices and Printers as F232R USB UART. In Device Manager it has a yellow exclamation point and it tells me, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)."

Last edited by kagazoid on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more details on that cable. Can you post a link to the listing?
kagazoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP1-2-JP1-3-USB-Cable-RX-TX-LED-Program-One-For-All-Radio-Shack-Vizio-Remote-USA-/201277036255?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought, that's definitely not compatible with your remote. You have a JP1 EEPROM remote, not JP1.2 or JP1.3. As you can see, your 8910 is not on the seller's list. The 8910 is very old (11 years at least) and uses a different interface. But add one of these, and you'll be in business:

http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html

You apparently do need drivers as well, even though they are usually built into Win 7. These will probably work:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
kagazoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the adapter and downloaded the driver. Thanks for your help.
timewalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I too have a JP1 remote (two URC-8910s actually). I had an old parallel port cable, but since my only parallel port available is now on an old laptop with a docking station and Windows XP, I decided to buy a USB cable and adapter from DIY Gadget.

I eventually got it to work on my desktop using the linked drivers from the DIY Gadget site on Windows XP, but I have since upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2 and I am having trouble getting RMIR to see it.

I loaded the drivers and device manager is seeing it as Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3). I set the Interface in RMIR to JP1.x Serial -> COM3.
But when I connect the remote and try to Download From Remote in RMIR (2.02), it says Remote Not Found.

Any ideas? (Should I start a new topic?)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR v2.02 is two years out of date and does not support 64-bit OS. Even v2.02a supports 64-bit OS but that is still two years old. Please try the latest development version, which you will find described and linked to from this thread.
timewalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. It is 2.02a (with the Windows AMDx64 directory).
I have downloaded the development version. Do I need to uninstall the previous version, or delete the folder or anything before I install the development version?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have more than one version at once. There is no uninstall procedure, you just delete the folder containing the old version, but you might as well keep it till you have sorted the problem. Install the new one into a different folder. If you run Setup.vbs in the new version it will change the shortcuts to use the new version.

However, if you have v2.02a it suggests that the problem may lie elsewhere. The URC-8910 is a JP1 remote (not JP1.x). Your DIYGadget cable with a Prolific chip will be a JP1.2/3 interface. Do you also have their JP1 EEPROM adapter? If not, I'm not sure how you have their lead working with your remote. Anyway, try the development RMIR as a first step and report what happens. And do check the menu item Help > About to make sure what version of RMIR you are running, if you keep the old one. I suggest also setting the Interface to Auto-detect.
timewalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the adapter. I noted it in my first post, but it's easy to miss. It's the same one linked earlier in this thread.

I unzipped and ran setup.vbs on the development version. v2.03 Alpha 28 build 19. I set the interface to Auto-detect and voila! It works!

Thanks for the quick help! Smile

Now I can plan for upgrading that receiver and getting a new projector. Cool
wnewell

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat with no remotes found.
RemoteMaster v2.03 build 1, which is latest I found.
Linux mythfe0 3.13.0-44-generic #73-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 16 00:22:43 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 9600, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test
Remote is RCA RCRP05B JP1.3
I think that covers it. Thought it might be bad cable, so bought a new one. Same thing.
I've programed with remotes before with original cable years ago without a problem, but I've upgraded OS since then probably a few times. Last time was was ~2010. I've tried both ttyS0 and ttyS4 and still can't find remote. I can see remote flash by manually reading the port with cat/dev/ttyS0 sometimes, but I'm at a loss. Batteries in remote are good. Any clues?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: