JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Charter URC-1060BC3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WallStreet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Charter URC-1060BC3 Reply with quote

I got a URC-1060BC3 from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CHARTER-DVR-TV-4-DEVICE-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE-Free-Shipping-/281568464231

Wanted to report a few observations/problems:

1. I am using the ‘Charter OCAP C4000 URC-1060BC2’ config in RMIR 2.03 Alpha 28 build 13. Hopefully this is the right one.
2. I don’t see any phantom buttons for use. Is this because of the RDF?
3. I cannot apply a macro to the System on/off button. It seems to toggle power to all devices regardless of a macro I assigned.
4. The JP2 connector is recessed inside the remote, and it makes it hard to connect the cables. I guess some connector extender would be useful here. The cable I am using is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pin-FT232-USB-To-TTL-Serial-Cable-Line-Adapter-Module-FTDI-Chipset-for-Arduino-/161181323524

Any ideas on the above?

Other than that, the remote is great. I have it setup with a LG 47” LCD, LG Soundbar, DirecTV, and Windows MCE (OpenElec 5.05).

Is it likely this URC-1060BC3 remote will have more support in the future, or should I get the Atlas 1056B01 instead? I have a bunch of old JP1 remotes that all have various problems, so I am looking to migrate to JP1.3/JP2 and get new units.

Thanks!

Last edited by WallStreet on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice looking remote, and the low price is tempting. But its functionality is quite limited. There are lots of better options if you need anything more than very basic control. I use them only in very simple scenarios.

There are no phantoms and never will be. The Sys on/off will probably be impossible to change as well.

As for a new connector, I recommend something like this. It's a very simple matter of pulling out the individual pins by depressing the catch and plugging them back into a 6-pin connector.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14952

I'm not crazy about the styling of the Atlas, but it is a far more capable remote in every way.

I've migrated mostly to Xsight and the OARUSB04G.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mdavej said, a 6-pin header plus a little piece of shrink tubing make a connector that works well on the recessed pins.

ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallstreet,
Several of us are working to provide better support of the URC-1060BC3 and have made some progress. A couple of weeks ago, you couldn't upload any upgrade to that MaxQ remote.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WallStreet
The URC-1060 has a fully implemented key-move capability. So, as mdavej has pointed out to all of us, you can accomplish a lot on this remote using key-move.

It means that you can use all of the keys shifted, in effect having 48 phantom keys. And you can make up any additional device key you need by defining some key moves. And the remote handles punch-through for volume, channel, and transport.

If you don't like the built-in System Power action, you can put a macro on the shift-Power button.
WallStreet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
As for a new connector, I recommend something like this. It's a very simple matter of pulling out the individual pins by depressing the catch and plugging them back into a 6-pin connector.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14952

Thanks - that will help a lot!

mdavej wrote:

I've migrated mostly to Xsight and the OARUSB04G.

I have a couple little kids that use these remotes, so I'd like to stay <$10. That way I can have 4-5 around the house and have a couple backups when stuff breaks. Those remotes are definitely nice, but a bit out of my price range.
WallStreet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruidosobruce wrote:
WallStreet
It means that you can use all of the keys shifted, in effect having 48 phantom keys. And you can make up any additional device key you need by defining some key moves. And the remote handles punch-through for volume, channel, and transport.

Yes, I am currently using the shift-keys for discrete on/off, etc. it works fine in macros.

ruidosobruce wrote:

If you don't like the built-in System Power action, you can put a macro on the shift-Power button.

I tend not to map macros to shift-<anything>, as wife/kids like a single button to press to turn things on and off. But I do understand this can be done.

Looking forward to any development on this remote. Thanks for all the work so far - if you guys have gotten this far is just a couple weeks, that is pretty awesome!
jeajea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At under $10 the Atlas 1056B01 has an extender and back light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Atlas-Ocap-5-Device-Cable-TV-DVD-Dish-Blu-Ray-Remote-Control-1056B01-/310989524209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48686b8cf1

Avoid the 1056B03 because it doesn’t have an extender(at this time).
For a little more money my current favorite is the Insignia 67100. However I don’t know a source for the version with back light.
Also check this thread

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=594&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
jeajea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: using key move for controling 7 devices Reply with quote

Here is an example of how to use key moves to control more than four devices on the charter 4 device remote.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13238

Widows media center (PC) is assigned to CBL
My Vizio TV is assigned to TV
My Sony BD player is assigned to DVD
My WD TV live is assigned to AUX
The 4 inputs on my HDMI switched are assigned to shifted buttons on TV
My Onkyo AVR discrete on, discrete off, late night and some of its discrete
input select buttons are assigned to other shifted buttons on TV. AVR
power toggle is assigned to TV source.
I assigned the transport buttons of my VCR to the TV transport buttons.
Shift “device” macros are used to set the TV, AVR and HDMI switch inputs as required for each device.
The shift power macro turns off the TV, BD player and AVR (they have discrete power off codes)
The On demand macro turns the TV and AVR on and sets inputs for media center.
WallStreet

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is following, a fix for my issue #3 was made by 3FG in this thread:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16102&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: