JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oinge 1953

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Remote Recommendations Reply with quote

Looking to get back into JP1. Can't find my old RS remotes and my URC8811 is in questionable working condition. Any recommendations for a new inexpensive remote. I currently have 7 devices in my entertainment center. TV, AV Receiver, SAT, CD Jukebox, DVD Burner/Player, BluRay Player, and VCR.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to move out of my 8811s because they don't have a big enough e2 area. I've also had to brace my batteries with a round-square toothpick and a piece of foam because the batteries were shifting causing the extender to constantly deactivate. All in all I've been very happy with the 881xs.

Nevo c2 < $16 tested used
Finding a replacement i tried the Nevo c2. If you don't mind pressing buttons, you should consider it. It has 18 devices. Soft buttons that actually name the functions so no more memorizing what buttons are assigned where. It has a nice favorites feature and up to 16 activities. The E2 area is outrageously big. It has DSMs and funtions don't have to be assigned to a button to be included in a macro. They come with a mini USB cable so you won't need a new cable. Downside they are fragile and the USB cover is a choking hazzard for rug rats.

Atlas Ocap 1056B01 new $10 to $20, used 3 to $10
Another remote I'd recommend is the Backlit Atlas Ocap 1056B01. The B01 is the important part. Its a Jp1.3 remote. The version with the whiteish channel keys are backlit, the ones with the blue channel buttons are not backlit. They are ugly remotes but they offer a lot of buttons, and unlike the older jp1 remotes, all but 4 buttons can be used in the keymap so you don't need to resort to keymoves. . This makes using a multiplexer a lot easier if you wanted to queeze in your extra devices.

rca rcr05br manufacutred refurb ~$10, used <$10
The rca rcr05br is another choice. It is a 5 device remote with three phantoms. Its a jp1.3 remote. On the plus side it sports 4 color buttons and bigger e2 area and is Jp1.3. It is nice looking, much better than the Atlas. The buttons are smaller and packed closer together and black. In low light i find it difficult to operate. I'm not a fan. . And for some reason these tend to brick for me. I don't have this issue with any other jp1.x remotes even though any jp1.3 remote can brick if you plug the interface in incorrectly or plug in a jp1 interface instead of your jp1.x interface.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Oinge 1953

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations. I just bought an Atlas 1056B01. When I went to the file section for extenders, I only saw on for the 1056B03. What extender do I need for the 1056B01?
Oinge 1953

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found a common extender for JP1.3 Remotes, that appears to be the one I need, but I can't seem to find the instructions for the common extender.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the extender yet.

Did you realize that the jp1.3 remote takes a different interface than your 8811.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just FYI, the Nevo C2 remotes are now about $15 (shipped) on ebay and they don't need a JP1 cable, as you can use the standard USB cable that comes with the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: