JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

turning on/off backlighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: turning on/off backlighting Reply with quote

In order to conserve my batteries I've turned down the brightness turned off the TILT on my Nevos. So the backlight only comes on with the press of a button.

On my hard button remotes I rarely need the back light feature.

on my old 8810's I was able to turn on/off my backlighting with the Idea lightbulb button.

On the Atlas 1056B01 a double click of the Idea setup/lgiht button turns on and off the backlighting feature .

But I can't figure out how to turn off backlighting on my Atlas 1056B03, or my OARUSB04G for that matter.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
yaworski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On OARUSB04G (and also URC-6440):

Hold Setup button until 2 blinks of TV button, then press Pause button. The TV button will blink:
2 times - capacitive hand sensor enabled
4 times - capacitive hand sensor disabled

When the sensor is enabled, then the backlight turns on as soon as you put your hand on the remote. When it's disabled, then it'll only turn on when some button is pressed.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dig out my 1056B03 for testing if it becomes necessary, but if you can't find button presses to turn off backlight, try this. Use the Segment Editor of RMIR to edit the type 13 segment. The third byte in the Data column is the backlight timeout in seconds, which defaults to 05. Double-click the entry in the Data column to edit it and change this to 00. Then leave that segment (move the mouse to any other one). The Apply button should then become enabled. Press it. This is a crucial step, otherwise any changes are ignored. Now save/upload the setup. I presume a value 00 will turn the backlight off, but haven't tried it.

BTW The Segment Editor will only allow you to edit segments that say "Segment type not known to RMIR" when you hover the mouse over the Data column.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:
On OARUSB04G (and also URC-6440):

Hold Setup button until 2 blinks of TV button, then press Pause button. The TV button will blink:
2 times - capacitive hand sensor enabled
4 times - capacitive hand sensor disabled

When the sensor is enabled, then the backlight turns on as soon as you put your hand on the remote. When it's disabled, then it'll only turn on when some button is pressed.

I certainly didn't see that in the OARUSB documentation. Did you find that in the urc-6440 documentation, or did you use your JP1-super-powers to find that out?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I can dig out my 1056B03 for testing if it becomes necessary, but if you can't find button presses to turn off backlight, try this. Use the Segment Editor of RMIR to edit the type 13 segment. The third byte in the Data column is the backlight timeout in seconds, which defaults to 05. Double-click the entry in the Data column to edit it and change this to 00. Then leave that segment (move the mouse to any other one). The Apply button should then become enabled. Press it. This is a crucial step, otherwise any changes are ignored. Now save/upload the setup. I presume a value 00 will turn the backlight off, but haven't tried it.

BTW The Segment Editor will only allow you to edit segments that say "Segment type not known to RMIR" when you hover the mouse over the Data column.

While this won't be a convenient way to turn the back light on when you find yourself watching TV in the total dark, it will give me an excuse to work with the segment editor. You'd think that the light bulb on the setup button should turn it off somehow.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I certainly didn't see that in the OARUSB documentation. Did you find that in the urc-6440 documentation, or did you use your JP1-super-powers to find that out?

I know it was Marcin that posted this, but I was also going to do so. It is in the URC-6440 documentation.
yaworski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I've seen it in the user manual but I've checked now and it isn't there.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try finding an ATLAS 1056B03 manual that might show how to do the backlighting, and I see that UEI is hawking the 1056B04, I wonder what that is going to bring to the table! Or am I behind the times, is that already a known remote, that was such a non-issue that I never saw any discussion.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the backlight setting. That causes the backlight to be a momentary flash. I wonder if a special protocol could be constructed to turn this on/off on demand. I rarely watch tv in the dark, but when I do its a nice feature to have.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I see that UEI is hawking the 1056B04, I wonder what that is going to bring to the table! Or am I behind the times, is that already a known remote, that was such a non-issue that I never saw any discussion.

I think that is a new one to us. To me, at any rate. I understand that new UEI remotes are pretty rare in the US in recent times. I will certainly be interested to hear what it brings.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
I see that UEI is hawking the 1056B04, I wonder what that is going to bring to the table! Or am I behind the times, is that already a known remote, that was such a non-issue that I never saw any discussion.

I think that is a new one to us. To me, at any rate. I understand that new UEI remotes are pretty rare in the US in recent times. I will certainly be interested to hear what it brings.

I know you and I often have communications problem because of the language difference, Laughing Wink, but RARE no. It is true there isn't a JP1-able remote to be had in a brick and mortar store in the U.S.. However almost everyone has cable, and if they have more than the most basic service, they probably have an Atlas or a Comcast remote with their cable service.

The problem is most US people don't know the benefits of a universal remote. I can't tell you how many homes I've been in where they have a basket full of remotes artfully arranged, and when I look almost all of them are universal remotes, and NONE of them have been programmed. It seems that the if they didn't have professional installation, they never even bothered

I continually ask why they haven't programmed there remotes, and the answer is always, "well they never do everything, its just easier to use the original remote." To promote that feeling, the most common universal remote people have is a cable remote, and the Atlas or the Comcast did all have that problem where the OK didn't work unless you used a keymove, so indeed they were not a very universal remote, unless you happened to stumble across the JP1 group and found you could do an EFC-style keymove.

So the last JP1-able remote we had in the U.S stores was the RCA-RCR05b or whatever the call letters are, the cable remotes are EVERYWHERE. When you turn in your cable equipment, they pitch the old remote and send out a new remote when they repackage the equipment. Enterprising people sell them used for next to nothing. I got 25 dirty-untested remotes for $25, after I cleaned them up and tested them I had to do several button-ectomies, but ended up with 20 working remotes at a cost of $1.25 ea. Typically you can get a clean one for about $7 and a new one for about 15.

So no not rare. You can see why I was so reluctant to pick up the expensive remotes like the OARUSB04G or the Nevo C2 when it was so pricey.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have had a language problem, or at least a misunderstanding. Perhaps I should have said "new models of UEI remotes are rare". The cable companies may keep sending them out, but aren't they the same models? Or am I still wrong?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

Actually this JP1-able Insignia is pretty widely available these days:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4-device-universal-remote-black/4502603.p?skuId=4502603
and this version of the OAR:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-device-universal-remote-black/5577780.p?skuId=5577780

Another problem is that Harmony pretty much owns the universal remote market, and UEI has done little to make theirs easy to program (SimpleSet sucks). Very few people are going to take a chance on a UEI and seek out Remote Master. For the most part, JP1 remains our little secret.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes true, there is not anything being offered here, probably because we don't buy them, for the above reasons.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real pity that UEI lost the war with Harmony, just imagine if they teamed up with us what sort of product they could have had!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: