JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[SOLVED] Special Protocol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Special Protocol Reply with quote

I've been using JP1 remotes for many years, but I have never used (and never felt the need to use) a special protocol. That just changed. I recently purchased a new TV and reprogrammed my Atlas 1056B03. Everything works, but when I launch certain macros that power on the TV, other commands for that device are sent before the set is ready to accept them.

I can fix things by executing the same macro a second time, of course, but it's not exactly an elegant solution. I tried inserting other macro commands between the TV power on and other TV commands, but the set still wasn't ready. I could fill the macro with dummy commands (who knows how many it would take), but I thought it would be better to insert a pause. So, I decided to try something new and downloaded The Robman's pause from the Special Protocols files section.

Here's my problem. I don't know what to do with that file. I searched for a Special Protocols for Dummies guide, but wasn't able to find one. Can someone point me to a step-by-step guide for special protocols?

Thanks!

Last edited by Jim978 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help you with the Pause Protocol:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=96964#96964
Jim978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

Thanks for responding to my post. The link is much appreciated. I've read it and think I understand what to do. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of the Pause protocol in use. Both my TV and STB take a few moments to warm up and be ready for action. The macro on Shift/CBL is the one that I use to fire up the system. First, I power on the TV and the STB, then I wait for 0.188 secs before sending the GUIDE button to the STB, then I wait another 1.22 secs before sending the first TV command, so the TV gets the benefit of both pauses. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right pause durations for it to work.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26823
Jim978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. With your guidance I was able to easily (once I understood the process) add a pause to the macros in question. A pause is only needed when the tv is off, and sometimes the tv is already on. But when that's not the case, this really helps!

I may try to follow The Rob Man's suggestion and experiment with various pause lengths. On the other hand, things are working right now so I may decide to leave well enough alone. We'll just have to wait and see.

I want to say that you all are terrific. Any time I've had trouble puzzling things out on my own, you guys are right there with the answers. I really appreciate that you take the time to help guys like me out.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works, it works, right? It was tricky to find the right amount of pause for my set to respond, and as it is, I feel like I'm holding the remote pointing at the screen for ages, so I wouldn't want it any longer.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick I use for variable warmup times is to put discrete ON and input commands at the beginning and after my pauses so if the TV is already warm, I get immediate results. Another trick, if you're using an extender, is to put a short macro with no pauses on short press, and a long macro with pauses on a long press. But those don't work if you only have power toggle. May want to consider toadtog protocol in that case. Or just leave well enough alone.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have always done is put steps in the EVERYTHING OFF macro that resets the TV to the desired turn-on state just prior to turning it off. So then I never have to wait for pauses when turning it on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: