JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tutorial Windows command line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Tutorial Windows command line Reply with quote

On Youtube, I found a quite nice tutoriai on the Windows command line. It consists of 9 5-minutes videos. It is not "necessary" to go through all parts; I would recommend 1 to 5.

To clarify: I am not an advocate of using the command line for general work (in particularly not on Windows). However, there are reasons for advanced users to have fundamental skills and knowledge. Also Microsoft recognizes this: Many system administration utilities in Windows comes as command line versions only. They have also put a lot of effort into the successor of cmd.exe, called PowerShell. Not even Microsoft consider the command line as obsolete.

It can be noted that other OS than Windows have much more powerful command lines. (This is not OS advocacy!)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at first I thought this wasn't going to be of any use. Really CD, DIR, CLS, MKDIR, RMDIR, PATH ... I guess there are some people that didn't start in DOS, but otherwise I didn't expect to learn anything. but it was playing in the background, and all of a sudden I learned something new. I didn't know you could use the TAB button to autocomplete!!!! I wish I had known that for the last decade! My typing is terrible, as you've witnessed.

I'll give the rest of them a listen.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
yaworski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerShell is nice and great upgrade from cmd.exe, but it's still not a match to shells like Zsh or newer versions of Bash. On my Windows machine I have Cygwin with Zsh and a lot of other Unix/Linux utils installed which makes working with command line on Windows a lot better (at least for a power user). Of course PowerShell is not just an upgrade regarding command line editing capabilities but it's much more integrated with the OS, so some things can only be done in it.

I didn't watch the tutorials, but here's another tip, if it wasn't in the videos. When you have some directory opened in a Windows Explorer window, you can drag and drop some file or sub-directory from it into the command line which will insert the file path at the cursor position. So it's possible to type "cd " (with space) and then drag and drop a directory into the command line to enter its full path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: