JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nevo: Review a newbie's attempt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Second, I don't feel that the "speed" is the same as my other remotes. Press a simple button, see a response on the TV. The Nevo just feels slow to me.
I'm with you there. I've been using FAST MACROS for more than 10 years. I was actually shocked to see the menu's appear on the screen when changing the aspect ratios on my TV. On my 8810 I never even see the aspect selection screen, much less watch it actually change.
That is an issue also, but I was not talking about the macro speed but just a normal button like cursor up/down, number button, channel up/down, etc. Even those seem sluggish to me and there is no reason I can think of for why they should be.
Quote:
I thought that was going to bother me way more than it does. Perhaps because the ANGLE of USE is so different.
I think we were talking about completely different things here. On my other remotes, a single press of the CBL button meant "I want to watch Cable now" that is, it was an activity - all inputs and button mapping was set for this activity. On the Nevo it is at least - Press the Activity button, move your finger to press the soft button for the desired Activity (2 button presses). If it isn't one of my 3 most used activities, then it is: press the Activity button, move to the scroll rocker, press one or more times to get to the correct page, move to the soft button to press the desired Activity (3 or more button presses).
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
On my other remotes, a single press of the CBL button meant "I want to watch Cable now" that is, it was an activity - all inputs and button mapping was set for this activity. On the Nevo it is at least - Press the Activity button, move your finger to press the soft button for the desired Activity (2 button presses). If it isn't one of my 3 most used activities, then it is: press the Activity button, move to the scroll rocker, press one or more times to get to the correct page, move to the soft button to press the desired Activity (3 or more button presses).

The ability to put activities on a device softkey would definitely be a big extender request should we ever build one.

That said - I am curious as to how many devices people really have anymore. Mine have been going WAY down. Other than game consoles now I actually only have ONE device in my living room(Nexus player) and one in my HT(FireTV box). All my TV and movie viewing is through those.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Second, I don't feel that the "speed" is the same as my other remotes. Press a simple button, see a response on the TV. The Nevo just feels slow to me.
I'm with you there. I've been using FAST MACROS for more than 10 years. I was actually shocked to see the menu's appear on the screen when changing the aspect ratios on my TV. On my 8810 I never even see the aspect selection screen, much less watch it actually change.
That is an issue also, but I was not talking about the macro speed but just a normal button like cursor up/down, number button, channel up/down, etc. Even those seem sluggish to me and there is no reason I can think of for why they should be.

I didn't really notice that, but slowness with my hands is one of the big reasons that I got into this JP1-nuttyness in the first place.

Quote:

Vicky wrote:
I thought that was going to bother me way more than it does. Perhaps because the ANGLE of USE is so different.
I think we were talking about completely different things here. On my other remotes, a single press of the CBL button meant "I want to watch Cable now" that is, it was an activity - all inputs and button mapping was set for this activity. On the Nevo it is at least - Press the Activity button, move your finger to press the soft button for the desired Activity (2 button presses). If it isn't one of my 3 most used activities, then it is: press the Activity button, move to the scroll rocker, press one or more times to get to the correct page, move to the soft button to press the desired Activity (3 or more button presses).

No we are talking about the same thing. Three or more buttons where one long keypress was needed. The NEVO was designed to be looked at while operated. That angle at the top isn't just for design, its the direction that the IR emitters are aimed. Pressing three buttons when looking at the remote, without the crazy cocked wrist, is really a lot easier than I expected.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky wrote:
Phil wrote:

Vicky wrote:

No we are talking about the same thing. Three or more buttons where one long keypress was needed. The NEVO was designed to be looked at while operated. That angle at the top isn't just for design, its the direction that the IR emitters are aimed. Pressing three buttons when looking at the remote, without the crazy cocked wrist, is really a lot easier than I expected.
I see. I was just objecting to needing to do 3 presses at all. You are right, the Nevo isn't nearly as finicky about aim.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
On my other remotes, a single press of the CBL button meant "I want to watch Cable now" that is, it was an activity - all inputs and button mapping was set for this activity.

The only reason that you can do that on your old JP1 remotes is because you are using an extender, because otherwise pressing the CBL button would just put you in CBL mode.

From what I understand, it is very unlikely that we will ever get an extender for the Nevo remotes.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky - FYI even though the lens is angled, the IR emitters still point straight forward.

https://goo.gl/photos/7YKR1wwgoHgmaSax9
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
Vicky - FYI even though the lens is angled, the IR emitters still point straight forward.

https://goo.gl/photos/7YKR1wwgoHgmaSax9

It might be facing forward, but when I try to capture it with the widget, if I'm directly in front of it, I get no signal at all. As you can see from this snippet, the signal does shoot strongest when the flat part is aimed at the camera or widget. I've noticed this a lot when I capture newer equipment too.
https://youtu.be/NnUAarchr_o

Conversely, my 8811 shoots about a 45 degree beam directly out the front, so you really really have to cock your wrist when you are aiming at the ir sensor, especially when the sun is shining in the room. Your aim needs to be right on target.

Quote:
That said - I am curious as to how many devices people really have anymore. Mine have been going WAY down. Other than game consoles now I actually only have ONE device in my living room(Nexus player) and one in my HT(FireTV box). All my TV and movie viewing is through those.

I'm still on the upswing, with 9 devices in my family room,

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
pH7_jp1 wrote:
On my other remotes, a single press of the CBL button meant "I want to watch Cable now" that is, it was an activity - all inputs and button mapping was set for this activity.

The only reason that you can do that on your old JP1 remotes is because you are using an extender, because otherwise pressing the CBL button would just put you in CBL mode.

From what I understand, it is very unlikely that we will ever get an extender for the Nevo remotes.
That is correct, I have always used an extender in at least 8 JP1 remotes that I can think of. (OK my Cinema 7 had to wait until Vicky came along.) The main reason was to implement activities. Since the Nevo has the concept of Activities built in, and extender isn't necessary for this purpose.

I haven't adopted the Nevo for the reasons I posted above, but if I could have 6 activities per page instead of 3 and fast macros, I think I would be buying them in quantity like Vicky did. This would require and extender, so I won't be holding my breath.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't do really fast macros, but you can speed them up a lot by changing the default step delay from 0.3 to 0.1 for each step. Since the startup delay on my TV is 12 seconds, it doesn't really matter what speed my macros run. Besides that big delay, all the other steps in most of mine run in well under a second which is plenty fast for me.

Taking advantage of the fact that the last page wraps makes your first 6 activities only one or two clicks away.

Like Xnappo, my main system has gotten much simpler over the years. I've gone from over a dozen devices to just 7 and about the same number of activities.
rickety

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of tricks I have done over the years to try to make the WFM of the remotes work the best I can. I have now moved to Nevo C2s.

1) Most of our watching is TV, so when turning the TV off, I had set it to the satellite input. So when turning it on, it was not necessary to wait for a long time. I have now added an HDMI switch because it allows HDMI connection for SatBox, BluRay, MediaPC, Chromecast etc to all go to the Soundbar. So the switch does the HDMI selection and the TV "delay" is not a problem any more! The HDMI switch is "always on".

2) I have "Switch off" and "Switch On" macros in the Satellite viewing Activity. So normally we use that to end viewing. Other activities have an Exit macro on Soft1. That shuts off the devices that were being viewed (e.g. BluRay) and then goes to Home on the remote. From there we can select the Activities/Satellite.

I greatly appreciate all the efforts put in here by so many - I just posted this in case someone beginning with a Nevo gets some ideas from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: