JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nevo: Review a newbie's attempt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the Device Specific dropdown be made that when you click on it by accident that it starts out where it is instead of the first device on the list? Everytime I accidentally click on it, which I do way too often, it screws up my RMIR file.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
But I came up against the 14 activity limit way too quickly.
It can probably support 16 activities, if that is any help. In the RDF the [Buttons] section ends:
Code:
Activity10, Activity11, Activity12, Activity13,
Hold=$FE:AllBind+AllFavData+groupHold,
Null=$FF:All
An issue from another user has revealed that the last two lines are now redundant (they were needed for a much earlier version of RMIR) and if you delete them, you can extend the previous line to:
Code:
Activity10, Activity11, Activity12, Activity13,Activity14, Activity15
and get two extra activities.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one left in the world using subchannels and that its a forgotten technology.

It is my belief that subchannels are already supported. Hover the mouse over the Digits drop-down and you will see that this specifies the number of digits before the decimal point. It says the decimal point sends the Enter key, which I believe is how subchannels normally work, followed of course by the following digits.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Could the Device Specific dropdown be made that when you click on it by accident that it starts out where it is instead of the first device on the list?

Not easily, as far as I can see. But you can use the Esc key if you open the drop-down by mistake. The first press of Esc just closes the drop-down, but leaves it in cell editor mode with a 'V' mark for you to click to drop it down again. A second press of Esc closes the editor and restores the value that was there previously.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
"Specific to Device" is a column present in remotes that have device-specific upgrades. The XSights do, indeed IIRC they ONLY have device-specific upgrades. In most remotes a device upgrade is labelled with a DeviceType/SetupCode but can be assigned to any actual device. Device-specific upgrades are attached to a specific device, as the name suggests. They are a feature of really old remotes as well as XSight/Nevos. My old URC-8550, with a 740 processor, has device-specific upgrades. I recall that in the past, Vicky, you have said that RMIR should show you exactly what is in the remote. Well, in this case it does. To hide this column would hide critical info about the upgrade.

I do remember the device specific upgrades in the Producer 8 class of remotes, and IIRC we used it to get around some other bug that was present in these remotes, something to do with protocol upgrades, I think.

But in those remotes, an upgrade would work either as a general upgrade or a device specific upgrade. If the Xsight class of remotes ONLY allow device specific upgrades, why would you allow someone to add a non-specific upgrade? So my recommendation would be to remove to ability to uncheck this for Xsight remotes (or maybe even hide it).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one left in the world using subchannels and that its a forgotten technology.

It is my belief that subchannels are already supported. Hover the mouse over the Digits drop-down and you will see that this specifies the number of digits before the decimal point. It says the decimal point sends the Enter key, which I believe is how subchannels normally work, followed of course by the following digits.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! This solves a huge problem for me!

I have box-less cable and don't rent a DVR from my cable company at $12 a month, I bought my own DVR, and it paid for itself 8 years ago, and now saves me enough to buy a new JP1 remote every month if I so wish. Laughing The big problem with the DVR is that it uses a different channel numbering than my other equipment uses. On top of that the unit times out before I can get the subchannel entered, so it takes forever to actually tune in the channel I want because I have to Channel+- through 100 channels to set up a recording. This makes me want to go out and buy even more Nevo's.

Thank you again!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If the Xsight class of remotes ONLY allow device specific upgrades, why would you allow someone to add a non-specific upgrade?

It doesn't allow this. It isn't a check box, its a drop-down which specifies the device the upgrade is attached to. It is part of the upgrade data and to hide it would remove critical info about the upgrade.

Remember, Rob, that the internal structure of these remotes is nothing like that of any other class of UEI remotes. RMIR has to be able to reconstruct the files that hold the setup from the information contained in the relevant panels. To me it makes no sense to hide information that is encoded in the setup files, except in the few occasions where it seems to be info only used by EZ-RC, not by the remote, and this is not such info.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
Could the Device Specific dropdown be made that when you click on it by accident that it starts out where it is instead of the first device on the list?

Not easily, as far as I can see. But you can use the Esc key if you open the drop-down by mistake. The first press of Esc just closes the drop-down, but leaves it in cell editor mode with a 'V' mark for you to click to drop it down again. A second press of Esc closes the editor and restores the value that was there previously.

Okay, I'll make note of that. For some reasons I KEEP doing it. I'll try the escape.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vickyg2003"]
mathdon wrote:
Quote:

Functional limit on these is 72 items on a single favorites list. The remote will ignore any more than that.
I guess I need to divide this into 2 favorites A-M and N-Z or something like that.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my first attempt.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14654

It took me almost 32 days from the time I started to put this together. Everything works for me. When in my lab, this remote has sat in the family room for the last 2 weeks, and my DearH refuses to touch it.

Tomorrow I'm hiding the 8810 to get my DH to give Nevo a trial run. If there are any problems, I'm sure he'll stumble into them.

pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you some things he will dislike about it. First and foremost - the need to scroll left and right to find all the options. If my users don't see it, they don't know it is there. My son-in-law gave me a harmony with a touch screen that did the same thing. Actually extreme, since even the number pad was a swipe to the side. In my mind the Nevo is better, but still an inconvenience to my users.

Second, I don't feel that the "speed" is the same as my other remotes. Press a simple button, see a response on the TV. The Nevo just feels slow to me.

The thing that irritated ME the most was that selecting an Activity takes a minimum of 2 button presses and can take even more if the activity isn't one of the 3 on page 1. I always programmed activities on a single, unshifted button on my other remotes, so they were always one button press.

To me the ability to see the correct name for buttons overrides these inconveniences, but we have never adopted the Nevo because of them. Since you use Favorites a lot, having a good clear icon for the channels may go a long way in encouraging him to pick up the remote.

Another advantage to the Favorites, for you and DH, is that when you shift between FL and MI, the location of the favorite icons will remain the same. You will need to program a favorites list with the correct channel numbers once for each location, but he will never see a difference and you won't have to reprogram each time.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The Robman wrote:
If the Xsight class of remotes ONLY allow device specific upgrades, why would you allow someone to add a non-specific upgrade?

It doesn't allow this. It isn't a check box, its a drop-down which specifies the device the upgrade is attached to. It is part of the upgrade data and to hide it would remove critical info about the upgrade.

Remember, Rob, that the internal structure of these remotes is nothing like that of any other class of UEI remotes. RMIR has to be able to reconstruct the files that hold the setup from the information contained in the relevant panels. To me it makes no sense to hide information that is encoded in the setup files, except in the few occasions where it seems to be info only used by EZ-RC, not by the remote, and this is not such info.

My point is just that, if you NEVER want the user to uncheck this box, why give them the option to do so?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps disable it if it is not the processor is not one of the ones where it is changeable. Just an idea. I've been burned by it enough to know not to touch it, and I still click on it. But that's just me. I'm still struggling with RMIR as a newbie.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
I can tell you some things he will dislike about it. First and foremost - the need to scroll left and right to find all the options. If my users don't see it, they don't know it is there. My son-in-law gave me a harmony with a touch screen that did the same thing. Actually extreme, since even the number pad was a swipe to the side. In my mind the Nevo is better, but still an inconvenience to my users.

Well that echo's my opinion, I don't like all the button pushing, but I've designed this so the most used features, TV and Radio zone 1 and Zone 2 are on the first page of devices. And then on each device, the first page of soft buttons are the ones that my DearHusband would actually use.

He may be male, like 95% of the JP1 experts, but he is not all that remote savvy. We've been using the same model of remote for 10 years and he doesn't even know where the Menu, Guide, and Exit buttons are on the remote!!!

He's typical male, sits in his "Archie Chair" with a remote in his hand. He knows where the jump button is, so whenever I'm interested he can quickly change focus to his other game. Falls asleep watching the exciting game, while holding the remote in his hand. Heaven forbid I'd want to touch the remote while he's "watching the game", and snoring away. That's why we have His and Hers remotes in EVERY ROOM we would ever watch TV in.

You guys might not be like that, but I'm sure most of the men in your acquaintance are.

Quote:

Second, I don't feel that the "speed" is the same as my other remotes. Press a simple button, see a response on the TV. The Nevo just feels slow to me.

I'm with you there. I've been using FAST MACROS for more than 10 years. I was actually shocked to see the menu's appear on the screen when changing the aspect ratios on my TV. On my 8810 I never even see the aspect selection screen, much less watch it actually change.

Quote:

The thing that irritated ME the most was that selecting an Activity takes a minimum of 2 button presses and can take even more if the activity isn't one of the 3 on page 1. I always programmed activities on a single, unshifted button on my other remotes, so they were always one button press.

To me the ability to see the correct name for buttons overrides these inconveniences, but we have never adopted the Nevo because of them. Since you use Favorites a lot, having a good clear icon for the channels may go a long way in encouraging him to pick up the remote.

I thought that was going to bother me way more than it does. Perhaps because the ANGLE of USE is so different. I've been using 8810's in my family room, but they only have the single IR emitter and it is aimed out the front. In the daytime aiming that requires a lot of precision, and since the equipment is in a single row under the TV, you often need to rerun a macro aimed at the left most piece of equipment. The NEVO shoots more towards the back of the remote and has 2 IR emmitters, so you don't have to hold your wrist at that awkward angle when you are sending IR signals, and you can actually SEE the button you are pushing, while you are pushing it. The NEVO always gets all the equipment, RightMost and LeftMost .

Quote:

Another advantage to the Favorites, for you and DH, is that when you shift between FL and MI, the location of the favorite icons will remain the same. You will need to program a favorites list with the correct channel numbers once for each location, but he will never see a difference and you won't have to reprogram each time.
Laughing

Yes, it would be nice! I know YOU know just how hard that adjusment is every year.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the rest of us have to consider the WAF with our remotes, Vicky has to consider the HAF, lol. Or should it be DHAF? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: