JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nevo: Review a newbie's attempt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Not sure. It was redtea1991. Never bought from him before, so condition is unknown.
Lot of 3 remotes arrived in a record 8 days (from China to east coast of US) in mint condition except that all rubber coating was completely removed. So redtea1991 gets a big thumbs up from me.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's been my experience too. My only problem with this seller has been communication. I tried with a note to get them to invoice and ship me 10, but they quickly shipped me 1. Then I bought a lot of 3, and put a bid in on another 3, but they thought I made a mistake, so they canceled my bid..... Yes quick shipping and good working order.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can an assist be a macro?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn you Vicky Wink I'm going to have to turn on Assist and figure out how it actually works now.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't look on my account. I had something weird going on in my remote, and it looked promising, I didn't realize, even after I read multiple times that the Assist took up valuable real estate, that it was going to constantly be like it is. What a horrible feature, no wonder you told the OP to delete them!!!!

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I messed around with Assist a bit more. No macros are allowed. But you can certainly put macros on the screen.

All assist really does is provide user friendly prompts for resending whatever activity commands you choose. I'll write this up in a more formal way for the wiki with screenshots later, but here's what happens.

There are 3 assists - Picture, Sound and Power.
You can add one command for the user to resend if there is no picture, one command for no sound and multiple commands, in sequence, for power on/off.

When the user presses Assist, a new screen with 3 buttons appears - No Picture, No Sound and Power On/Off. Ones with no commands assigned are greyed out. If No Picture is pressed, the command assigned to that assist is sent. Same goes for no sound.

Power is a little different. It allows multiple commands. When pressed, a screen with instructions is presented, then the user presses next to go to the next screen which has a button for each device in the power assist list. Even if a device is listed more than once in RM, it only has one button on the remote screen and those multiple commands are executed in sequence, one at a time, when the device button on the screen is pressed, just like a multi-macro or favorites button on a traditional JP1 remote.

I can see how Assist would be useful for TOADs and input cycling devices. You could put, for example, the TV INPUT command on Picture Assist, AVR INPUT command on Sound Assist and the power toggles for every device in the activity on Power Assist. This would actually use a lot LESS screen real estate than having all those commands on the screen at once. But the Assist button takes up the top 3rd of the screen all the time.

If all your devices have discretes, then it would be easier to forgo Assist and just run the activity again if it failed the first time.

Now that I've used it more, I can appreciate what a useful powerful feature it can be for some. I still don't need it in my setup.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

Power is a little different. It allows multiple commands. When pressed, a screen with instructions is presented, then the user presses next to go to the next screen which has a button for each device in the power assist list. Even if a device is listed more than once in RM, it only has one button on the remote screen and those multiple commands are executed in sequence, one at a time, when the device button on the screen is pressed, just like a multi-macro or favorites button on a traditional JP1 remote.

I can see how Assist would be useful for TOADs and input cycling devices. You could put, for example, the TV INPUT command on Picture Assist, AVR INPUT command on Sound Assist and the power toggles for every device in the activity on Power Assist. This would actually use a lot LESS screen real estate than having all those commands on the screen at once. But the Assist button takes up the top 3rd of the screen all the time.

If all your devices have discretes, then it would be easier to forgo Assist and just run the activity again if it failed the first time.

Running the Activity again takes a lot of button pressing, activities, paging to the correct activity, and

I am hoping the dire prediction that no extender will be proved wrong. This remote has such possibilities.

Wouldn't it be cool if:
1) You could have an ASSIST DONE function and turn off the assist button.

2) You could change the keygroup setting from a soft key.

My 8810 is so much easier to operate, unfortunately I've run out of space. I know the 8810 can be upgraded from 2K to 8K, but I'd rather have a root canal than remove one of those surface mounted EEPROMs

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I know the 8810 can be upgraded from 2K to 8K, but I'd rather have a root canal than remove one of those surface mounted EEPROMs

The trick to removing components is to use desoldering braid dipped in flux, that makes the solder jump off the component onto the braid. You can also snip the pins of the chip, assuming you're just going to throw it away and then remove the pins that are left behind one at a time.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
I know the 8810 can be upgraded from 2K to 8K, but I'd rather have a root canal than remove one of those surface mounted EEPROMs

The trick to removing components is to use desoldering braid dipped in flux, that makes the solder jump off the component onto the braid. You can also snip the pins of the chip, assuming you're just going to throw it away and then remove the pins that are left behind one at a time.

Have you ever had a root canal Rob? Laughing I do have soldering braid, flux, that little nose sucker thingy and an iron, although I let the DH (and that's DEAR husband) borrow it so the tip is probably contaminated. I think all the RatShacks have closed around here, so don't even know where I'd get a new iron.

I did try mounting one of these surface mounted EEPROM's once, turned out that there was a forum post with the wrong part number, but it was TRAUMATIC, cured me of my JP1-addiction for almost 3 years. If you remember I sent it to you to see what I'd done wrong......

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting little discovery here.

If you add a function from a different device to a button, it behaves like it is in a macro. You get 3 frames always whether you tap or hold the button. If on the other hand you create a well formed learn using IRScrutinzier, , the button works with normal repeating.

This is going to be a big help to me.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting discovery. Unlike a traditional macro, the functions don't have to be assigned to a button in a macro. In a traditional remote there is a header that includes the button code and a macro flag, and a macro length and then a list of buttons to process.

The not needing to assign the button is huge, because my AVR has 96 keycodes that I NEED in zone 1, and about 50 that I need in zone 2.

I'm trying to figure out how to handle the volume on this thing.. I was planning on doing different activities, CD / Zone2, CD/Zone1, DVD with TV volume, DVD with AVR volume.... But I came up against the 14 activity limit way too quickly. I'm trying to control 9 devices. This was a lot easier with the traditional extender on my 8810. It seems like all I do is push buttons on this remote. Good thing it has that great IR emitter angle so you can actually look at it while sending the signal.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When creating a Macro there are some buttons there.

Button:Devices
Button:Home
Button:Activities

I've tried using these in macros, but the only one that does something is Button:Home. What are Button:Devices and Button:Activities supposed to do?

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all those are available as well as Button: Favorites, but only Home actually functions, as you discovered. We ran across this early on and concluded this was a bug or limitation in the firmware. Presumably, they should go to the Devices and Activities screens.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. This has been an interesting experience.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
1) On the NEVO general screen there is a Volume Lock On or Off for each device. How does that work for this remote? Normally when I see that I've been able to specify which device has the volume lock, not so on this as far as I can see.

2) On the devices screen there is a really confusing option. Specific to Device I've made the mistake of touching that column and it makes things extremely confusing and hard to recover from. It must be there for some reason, I just can't figure out what to do with it, other than avoid touching it at all costs.

I think mdavej has answered (1). As for (2), "Specific to Device" is a column present in remotes that have device-specific upgrades. The XSights do, indeed IIRC they ONLY have device-specific upgrades. In most remotes a device upgrade is labelled with a DeviceType/SetupCode but can be assigned to any actual device. Device-specific upgrades are attached to a specific device, as the name suggests. They are a feature of really old remotes as well as XSight/Nevos. My old URC-8550, with a 740 processor, has device-specific upgrades. I recall that in the past, Vicky, you have said that RMIR should show you exactly what is in the remote. Well, in this case it does. To hide this column would hide critical info about the upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: