JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying to copy Hauppauge Silver A415-HPG to URC-39730 B02-00
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
User75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using raspberry as a media server using osmc ! Then I use lirc and a TSOP 4840 ir receiver connected to raspberry pins so I can remote control the media server using the hauppauge RC ! I am trying to copy the hauppauge remote to dream box RC (which is use to control my TV) and do the whole control procedure with only 1 remote !
My first attempt was not to mess with jp1 at all but to record a new lirc config using dream button with default sat key codes ! Record seemed ok in raw mode but when I tested that with irw to see if lirc receives the correct keys it wasnt working ! So I thought instead of making lirc and default dream RC work together I could make dream RC behave like hauppauge RC which communication with lirc is tested and works fine !
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay didn't understand a word of that Laughing '

My take away is that the remote isn't sending the files that the lirc describes.

I have zipped together two different IR files. The first just has 3 fixed bytes in the upgrade. The second has the protocol executor added. My guess is that the e8 executor is misidentified in the RDF. The dreamremotes were giving the forum a lot of problems back in the day.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14608

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
The exception is the first post of this thread. I have tried to ediit it: when I click "Preview" I get only an empty page, so I presume that "Save" would effectively empty the post. Can you have a look at that?

I fixed it. I had to replace "é" with regular "e" characters to get the preview to work.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: thanx!

vickyg2003 wrote:
Okay didn't understand a word of that Laughing '

I did... Wink

You are using a 40kHz receiver (TSOP 4840) with a 36kHz protocol (RC5, Haupage). That is not optimal, and will probably not be reliable. If you want to keep the receiver, select e.g. a Sony protocol.

First step to debug is mode2 (the program), not irw.

BTW, Lirc is considered obsolete for things like this. Google for ir-keytable (Sorry, I cannot recommend any for the moment. There are a number of guides, some of those usable...)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
You are using a 40kHz receiver (TSOP 4840) with a 36kHz protocol (RC5, Haupage). That is not optimal, and will probably not be reliable. If you want to keep the receiver, select e.g. a Sony protocol.

To do what Barf suggests, find a LIRC file for a Sony device and load that into your receiver, then find similar JP1 upgrade and load that into your remote. Keep in mind that Sony doesn't really change their codes that much between similar devices, so even if the model numbers don't match, as long as they're both the same device type (eg, DVD, TV, etc), the codes will mostly be the same.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

Apparently Barf thinks the 40kHz might be a problem. I think your dreambox wasn't sending the proper RC5 signal because our tools have bad information in the RDF.
Since the original remote is working, I think a mis reported in our tools.

I happen to hate the RC5 protocol, because of that stupid toggling bit, but that depends on how the RC5 is defined by the receiver. The UEI remotes don't do as well at tracking the proper setting for the togglebit. if the receiver is strict in expecting a specific setting of the toggle bit it can be difficult to get the receiver to react reliably often requiring a second push. I don't know how picky your raspberry is going to be, so if you switch to a Sony this might be more reliable than the RC5 even if the TSOP 4840 can handle the 36kHz reception.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
User75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I have zipped together two different IR files. The first just has 3 fixed bytes in the upgrade. The second has the protocol executor added. My guess is that the e8 executor is misidentified in the RDF. The dreamremotes were giving the forum a lot of problems back in the day.

I did just test them both but with no luck ! TV works ok but raspberry doesnt get any commands !

Barf wrote:
First step to debug is mode2 (the program), not irw.

The first first thing I did even before I use irrecord (using dream default codes) was to use mode2 to see if /dev/lirc0 recieves data ! On every key press mode2 responded with data recieved so I thought I was ok and proceeded with irrecord in raw mode ! With irrecord everything seemed ok so I copied lirc.conf to raspberry to test it but I figured out that most of keys worked as KEY_DOWN ! When I used irw to see how lirc translated keypresses I saw that every key I pressed appeared as KEY_DOWN ! I thought that I did something wrong with irrecord so I did 2-3 more attempts but with same results Sad At that point I decided to use a ready made lirc.conf for Hauppauge PVR-350 and upgrade DB rc via jp1 !

Barf wrote:
BTW, Lirc is considered obsolete for things like this. Google for ir-keytable (Sorry, I cannot recommend any for the moment. There are a number of guides, some of those usable...)

I will do that ! Lets hope I will get better results with that Smile But first I will try Sony lirc + device upgrade as you suggested .

vickyg2003 wrote:
I happen to hate the RC5 protocol

At this point , I believe I hate RC5 more than you do Smile
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Barf wrote:

Apparently Barf thinks the 40kHz might be a problem. I think your dreambox wasn't sending the proper RC5 signal because our tools have bad information in the RDF.
Since the original remote is working, I think a mis reported in our tools.

(That is three "think" in three sentences...) Let's try to be more scientific that "thinking". Table 5 of the the data sheet shows that for relative frequency = 36/40 = 0.9, the relative sensitivity is 0.4. The interpretation of 0.4 I leave to you guys.

User75 wrote:

The first first thing I did even before I use irrecord (using dream default codes) was to use mode2 to see if /dev/lirc0 recieves data ! On every key press mode2 responded with data recieved so I thought I was ok and proceeded with irrecord in raw mode ! With irrecord everything seemed ok so I copied lirc.conf to raspberry to test it but I figured out that most of keys worked as KEY_DOWN ! When I used irw to see how lirc translated keypresses I saw that every key I pressed appeared as KEY_DOWN ! I thought that I did something wrong with irrecord so I did 2-3 more attempts but with same results Sad At that point I decided to use a ready made lirc.conf for Hauppauge PVR-350 and upgrade DB rc via jp1 !

Ok, so the driver is working and produces output! irrecord is an abomination, if you want to use it you are on your own. Instead, try to install IrScrutinizer ("generic binary" supports RPi2 and RPI3), select /dev/lirc as capturing device, and try to capture with that instead. Preferably with a protocol with frequency equals to your receiver...

Quote:

At this point , I believe I hate RC5 more than you do

Love conquers hate... From an intellectual standpoint, for me some stuff are intellectual challenges, and I like challenges... Razz
User75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Instead, try to install IrScrutinizer ("generic binary" supports RPi2 and RPI3), select /dev/lirc as capturing device, and try to capture with that instead. Preferably with a protocol with frequency equals to your receiver...

@Barf, IrScrutinizer seems such a promising software but I can tell you for sure that I have no clue about how does it work Confused I have downloaded 1.4.1 version but i think I am going to need 1-2 days to google the whole procedure of doing capturing and messing with protocols using this software !
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@User75: The tutorial should get get you going in a few minutes. As previously said, select /dev/lirc as capturing (and sending) hardware.
User75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again !
Using IrScrutinizer 1.4.1 with /dev/lirc as capturing hw , software reports that (after uploading RC5 Hauppauge upgrade ) half of the buttons uses XMP protocol and few others using GAP protocol ! When I use TV button or even Hauppauge PVR 350 , IrScrutinizer reports that they use RC5 which I think is normal ! Is my rc possesed ? I am starting to think that DREAM button related things are write protected !
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi User75

I'm going to do some guess work here. I'd like to use the word "Think" but what the heck, its just an educated guess.

The XMP would not be easily confused with RC5, so doubt it could be a decode problem in Barf's tool.

Your Dreamweaver remote originally used an XMP protocol. In fact when the forum first encountered XMP signals. it was called the dreamweaver protocol until it was properly identified as XMP.

Your upgrade is supposed to be using RC5 At first I thought you were receiving RC5 part of the time, but rereading I see that this was being recognized from the original Hauppauge remote.

I checked your box for any residual keymoves, because keymoves remember the setup code, but the old files you posted didn't show any lingering keymoves.

Sometimes when a remote encounters an error, it will do a factory reset and change the setup code back to the way it was from the factory.

The most common cause of a reset would be low batteries or a malformed upgrade or invalid protocol.

If you do a download you might see that the Dream device is not using the the "SAT-2008" upgrade any longer.

Start by uploading your image, with the Hauppauge signal.
Then immediately download it and see if the upgrade assigned the same.
Is the dream device still SAT 2008 ?

Yes - Next disconnect it and press any key.
Re download
Is the SAT 2008 still assigned to the dream key?

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
User75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Start by uploading your image, with the Hauppauge signal.
Then immediately download it and see if the upgrade assigned the same.
Still the same?

I am doing this every time I do a new test upload ! First I upload the original ir file , download to see if everything are still there , upload the upgrade and download to check again !
At least now I am sure that is not the TSOP 4840 (40khz) that may causes problems , as Barf said , since it works ok with few rc5 rcs that I have tested using IrScrutinizer ! Anyway I will continue my tests and hope for something better Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User75 wrote:
[
I am doing this every time I do a new test upload ! First I upload the original ir file , download to see if everything are still there , upload the upgrade and download to check again !
At least now I am sure that is not the TSOP 4840 (40khz) that may causes problems ,

I just saw that I was editing my post while you were responding to it, so I'm not sure you you got all I had to say.

It does sound to me that the remote is resetting.

If after you've sent those XMP signals, the DREAM button has been reassigned and is no longer set to SAT 2008, then you have experienced a reset.

When the remote is resetting the LED will usually flash 2 or 4 times.

Common causes of a reset are
Low voltage. Alkaline batteries are recommended over rechargables.
If it has 4 batteries, those remotes tend to loose there structural integrity and the batteries shift during operation, and can lose power causing a reset. I have to reinforce mine with a toothpick and foam to keep them from loosing contact.

Most of the other causes are related to bad information in the RDF,

Misidentified version of the protocol executor, but we attempted to check that out with forcing an protocol into the E2 area.

Misidentified checksum, I think that would have triggered an immediate reset, and you said an immediate download still had the 2008 upgrade assigned.

And then there are more RDF mysteries that could trigger problems, but they are all above my skill level. You'll need the attention of the experts that develop the RDFs.

Good Luck, I'm bowing out of this thread.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I couldn't leave this alone
I found this thread.

This guys remote behaved as if the eeprom didn't exist
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=69832

Apparently there is something in the EEPROM that can stop the remote from looking at the upgrade area. The solution in this thread was to upload an uncorrupted eeprom image.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: