JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Very Basic Power supply questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
We are talking about doing this from the battery compartment and not trying to open the box, correct?

Yes, I am just suggesting that you solder the wires onto the battery terminals in the game.

vickyg2003 wrote:
I'm still a little fuzzy here, but I now think I can do it, if nothing else I can use the dowel method. That one I get.

That's more work but it should work too.

vickyg2003 wrote:
I did learn how to use power tools when they decided that the girls in our school would be required to take shop

Cool, but no power tools are needed here, just a soldering iron for my method. Oh, I guess you would need a drill for the dowel method.

vickyg2003 wrote:
Good to know as I was terrified of touching it with that multi-meter. Laughing

Ha ha.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the little guy I want to use

I've got a 13" tube TV's with AV jacks that work great, and I didn't want to throw in a land fill. I've been using it with that TV. I want to drop it into a simpler version of a box like this (with just a square cut out to keep it stationary. That's where I'm going to use the power tools.

The little tykes love my Pac-Man game.

Since I only paid $1 for the game at a garage sale I was going to solder the thing in and didn't mind drilling holes. When I was searching for a picture I found out that these little games can cause an auction feeding frenzy often bidding up past $100 so I think I'll use the dowl method so if the little TV fails I can auction off the Pac-Man.

If I were more hardware oriented I would be sitting up and taking notice when looking at the raspberry pi arcade projects on this page.
http://makezine.com/2014/10/04/10-diy-arcade-projects-that-youll-want-to-make/

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drilling a hole thing was just an idea to keep the wire tidy, and that would still be a question for you even if you use dowels. And as for not damaging the unit with a view to making millions on ebay someday, lightly soldering a wire to the terminals won't do any damage, you can easily de-solder them later when the kids are done with the game. Not to discourage you from making dowels if that's what you want to do, just offering an easier alternative.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart has the game for $134.52
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2233975

Amazon has it for $98.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009VDXX

Having said that, I do see one on ebay right now for $15 buy it now, plus $7.95 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222536916916
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: