JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA 8910 LG TV upgrade not working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radunn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: OFA 8910 LG TV upgrade not working Reply with quote

I am having problems adding CH+, CH- via *.rdmu to *.ir posted below; Power does not work. Power does work in *.ir when uploaded to the remote.

Also I no longer have Cable so I do not need that entry in *.ir. Also when deleting a device I'm uncertain as to what Protocol is associated with that device.

Another issue is using RMIR vs IR. When I build an upgrade I use *.ir to download from the RC then Remote Master to add OBC/EFC device listings; finally click Output tab/Copy that is amended to *.ir. Can't I use RMIR for this; i.e. download from RC to appending the *.ir; upload to RC?

Thank you for your time and support.

LG 49UHD6090_06-06-2017.rmdu (does NOT work when added to *.ir below) http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14559

01-11-2016-final.ir (works but doesn't have CH+, CH-) http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14561
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Radunn, long time no see.
The guys are going to get on your case for not using RMIR. It should make organizing your files a little easier.

Your RDMU file for the LG doesn't have the device code. I think LG uses Nec1 device 4, and that would give you the same fixed data as the device in your IR file.

Your cable uses a protocol with a PID of 0000, which is built in to that remote, so there is not a corresponding protocol to remove (again RMIR would have simplified that for you).

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
radunn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hi Radunn, long time no see.
The guys are going to get on your case for not using RMIR. It should make organizing your files a little easier.

Your RDMU file for the LG doesn't have the device code. I think LG uses Nec1 device 4, and that would give you the same fixed data as the device in your IR file.

Your cable uses a protocol with a PID of 0000, which is built in to that remote, so there is not a corresponding protocol to remove (again RMIR would have simplified that for you).

Hiya Vicky,
Yes a LTNS and I still haven't learned anything...lol! Appending Device 4 and specialRecordkey 0 in the RDMU file worked in the upload. Laughing But I still haven't figured out how to use RMIR for this. Here are my steps: Once *.RMDU is final I click Output and paste in IR's Device tab/Add/paste. What's the procedure for doing this in RMIR?

Another issue is the RC is JP1 (old). I think the cable is bad as I get errors "SDA is being held low. Make sure batteries are installed in the remote". There's a 2nd error which I forget what it is. Lightly stretching the cable flat over the remote seems to allow the remote to be detected in IR; this does not work for RMIR. In RMIR I get "no remote found."

Are jp1 cables still available, what's the alternative? Again, thanks for your time and support......
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Radunn, try this. Save your .ir file, then open it using RMIR and save the results as a .rmir file. Then, assuming that you have your upgrades all saved as .rmdu files, delete one of the upgrades in RMIR (from the devices tab), then click the "New" button and an RM-like panel will open. From this panel click the "Open" button in the lower left corner and select the .rmdu file that corresponds to the upgrade that you just deleted, then click "ok".

You have just replaced the "raw" upgrade with an actual RM file, so now, when you open up that upgrade in RMIR, you will see all of your notes and any other bits and pieces that normally get dropped.
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman; thanks for the info! Another question concerns the jp1 cable for the urc-8910. I think the cable is bad as I get errors "SDA is being held low. Make sure batteries are installed in the remote". There's a 2nd error which I forget what it is. Lightly stretching the cable flat over the remote seems to allow the remote to be detected in IR; this does not work for RMIR. In RMIR I get "no remote found."

I found a link where I can purchase a jp1 for around $54..... recommended? Currently I have the square boxed ribbon usb cable. Again thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would need to see the link to know what you'd be getting, but for $54, no, it's not recommended.

I assume you have what we call the "simple" cable, which connects to the old LPT1 printer port, on what I must assume is a really old PC? Smile But hey, if you've got it and it works, use it, right? So, if the cable is indeed faulty, it shouldn't be too hard to reconstruct, if you have a soldering iron and know how to use it. This cable has just 2 resistors and 1 diode inside the LPT1 casing, so you could easily get a new cable to replace the one that you're using. A regular 6-wire phone cable would do.

And yes, RMIR isn't capable of working with old JP1 remotes, I still have to use IR.exe to download my older JP1 remotes. I do all the programming in RMIR and save the file as a .rmir file, then I re-save it as a .ir file and load it using IR.exe. It's a bit of a hassle but I so rarely need to re-program my remotes that it's ok.

If you decide that you do want a new cable, I would recommend buying this cable on ebay (under $10 shipped), then buy this adapter from DIYGadget ($10). Use this post to see how to hook it up.
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I would need to see the link to know what you'd be getting, but for $54, no, it's not recommended.

I assume you have what we call the "simple" cable, which connects to the old LPT1 printer port, on what I must assume is a really old PC? Smile But hey, if you've got it and it works, use it, right? So, if the cable is indeed faulty, it shouldn't be too hard to reconstruct, if you have a soldering iron and know how to use it. This cable has just 2 resistors and 1 diode inside the LPT1 casing, so you could easily get a new cable to replace the one that you're using. A regular 6-wire phone cable would do.

And yes, RMIR isn't capable of working with old JP1 remotes, I still have to use IR.exe to download my older JP1 remotes. I do all the programming in RMIR and save the file as a .rmir file, then I re-save it as a .ir file and load it using IR.exe. It's a bit of a hassle but I so rarely need to re-program my remotes that it's ok.

If you decide that you do want a new cable, I would recommend buying this cable on ebay (under $10 shipped), then buy this adapter from DIYGadget ($10). Use this post to see how to hook it up.

Robman, as always thanks for your support. What might be the cause for error(s) detecting RC in *.ir..... i.e. a broken wire etc.? Flattening the ribbon over the remote while holding usually allows for detection.

$54 query: http://www.txsat.net/JP1_EEPROM.html

current jp1 cable: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14568 This cable does not work in RMIR?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
current jp1 cable: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14568 This cable does not work in RMIR?

OK, that's a really old JP1 USB cable, I haven't seen the "box" design in a long time as we've built all the electronics into the USB plug for quite a while. I'm just guessing here, but if flattening the cable gets it to work, it sounds like you're forcing a broken internal wire to make contact. Is it the ribbon cable between the box and the remote that you need to flatten, or the thicker cable between the box and the USB plug? If it's the ribbon cable, I would try replacing it.

As for RMIR, I have a more modern JP1 USB cable that only works with IR.exe, it doesn't work with RMIR, so I would assume the same is true for this cable. IIRC, we discussed this with Graham a while back and decided that there are so few of these old cables still in use that it wasn't worth fixing.

And if it's worth $20 to you to get modernized, you could get those 2 parts that I linked to earlier and you'd be all set. The cable itself would let you connect to any modern JP1 remote, and adding the adapter lets you connect to your old JP1 remotes, all using RMIR. Just be aware that the cable comes with 6 single-hole connectors, rather than one 6-hole connector. If you're just using the adapter, it doesn't really matter, but for use with other remotes, you would want to either glue them together to make a single connector, or you would replace them with a single connector that you'd need to buy from somewhere.
radunn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
And if it's worth $20 to you to get modernized, you could get those 2 parts that I linked to earlier and you'd be all set. The cable itself would let you connect to any modern JP1 remote, and adding the adapter lets you connect to your old JP1 remotes, all using RMIR. Just be aware that the cable comes with 6 single-hole connectors, rather than one 6-hole connector. If you're just using the adapter, it doesn't really matter, but for use with other remotes, you would want to either glue them together to make a single connector, or you would replace them with a single connector that you'd need to buy from somewhere.
I think I saw the 6 pin single connector online. Do the single connectors from the cable insert into this connector?

I'm lazy... would this suffice? http://www.txsat.net/JP1_EEPROM.html
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the single connectors on the cable are the same type that we use, so they will connect to the pins on the adapter. The adapter has 6 pins on the top, so if you're just using it with older JP1 remotes, you just have to connect the 4 connectors to the right pins and you're all set. Maybe wrap some tape around it to hold it in place.

But, an even better idea would be to use a bit of glue to permanently arrange the individual connectors into a single connector.

That $54 cable will only work with old JP1 "EEPROM" remotes, it won't work with any of the more modern JP1 remotes, so if it were me, I'd buy the ebay cable and the DIY adapter.
radunn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
That $54 cable will only work with old JP1 "EEPROM" remotes, it won't work with any of the more modern JP1 remotes, so if it were me, I'd buy the ebay cable and the DIY adapter.

The urc-8910, is it EEPROM? Its jp1 connector goes on top of the 6 pins; does it only use 4 connectors?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-8910 is indeed a JP1 "EEPROM" remote.

If that is the only remote that you need to program, the expensive $54 cable is certainly an option. If that remote ever wears out and you buy a newer model, you will need a JP1 "Flash" cable, like the $10 ebay cable.

Buying the $10 ebay cable and the $10 adapter means you are able to program both the newer "Flash" remotes and the older "EEPROM" remotes.
radunn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of a new issue I'm having with the OFA 8910. Pressing TV (device) on the 8910 powers the tv on and off.?? I have alot of files (.ir, .rmdu, .rmir) which I will need to locate to make change(s).

Any lead(s) for this issue? In advance thanks.

p.s. hope this thread is still open....
radunn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: OFA 8910 rc - TV (device button) powers device on/off Reply with quote

Not long ago I did an upgrade for the LG HDTV (49UH6090). The buttons work except that when I press TV (device) on the remote it toggles the device on/off.

I have the IR, RMDU files etc., how do I fix this? In advance thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaDunn without seeing the files its hard to guess what is going on. It sounds to me like you copied the output page from RM to IR without first changing the remote to the proper model.

Are you running an extender?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: