JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Failed to open JP1.x interface but all debug tests pass!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radagast_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Failed to open JP1.x interface but all debug tests pass! Reply with quote

First of all, I am a Firmware Engineer and have access to quite a bit of advanced equipment. Just keep that in mind when suggesting things to try. I built the JP1.x interface from Tommys instructions. I am attempting to interface with a RadioShack 15-135. Since this is a JP1.3 remote, I ommited the extra parts when building the interface. On my laptop, using a direct serial cable, and running JP1xtest, I get "No JP1.x compatible remote found" and two quick blinks. I did the DTR test in Tommy's testing doc. I even hooked it up to an oscilloscope instead of a muli-meter to actually see the reset. It worked fine. Next I tried the loopback test. It passed no problem! "Testing 123" sent and recieved. I hooked it up to my desktop PC, direct serial as well, and upon running JP1xtest, I get "No JP1.x compatible remote found" and one long blink, then two quick blinks. I then tried a USB to serial converter with my JP1.x interface, and the results are the same as on the laptop with direct serial: "No JP1.x compatible remote found" and two quick blinks. Each time the JP1xtest is run, the remote is fully functional afterwards, no hang-ups. What do I do now? Thanks for any time spent attempting to help me, it is appreciated!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you plugging the cable in to your remote with the correct orientation?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Radagast_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The RadioShack 15-135 6 pin connector is clearly labeled, and I am lining it up pin 1 to pin 1 of my interface. Also, the remote blinks twice fast each time I plug in the connector, and each time I run JP1xTEST, which I believe is the reset.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radagast_74,

Need some details. Tell me exactly where you got the information to build your interface. Tell me exactly what kind of cable and connector you used.

Tommy
Radagast_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded "Building a JP1.x Interface _revised 6-18-07_.pdf" from the files section on this site. I build the "JP1.2 Only Interface Board" which has less parts because my remote is JP1.3. I used a female DB9 connector on one side and a six pin connector on the other side. The cable is ribbon cable we use at my company for RS232 and GPIB, so I know it is good signal cable. I used perf board and it looks almost exactly like it does in your PDF. In the PM I sent you, I mentioned that I used different diodes. Well I swapped them for the 1N4148 that you suggest in your PDF. There was no change. The loopback test passes, but the JP1xTEST does not. That's what gets me, if the loopback test passes, doesn't that mean it is basically working? This is a brand new remote. Is is possible that there is some problem with it. It seems to work fine. I tested it with my TV. It also gives reset blinks when I believe it is supposed to. I am thinking about going to RadioShack and exchanging it for another 15-135 but my gut feeling says that it's not going to help. Also, I ran the Debug Tester Group. For the COM port I am connected to, the message was:
Purging RX and TX buffers
Reading up to 20 bytes to flush out spurious data
Didn't get any spurious data
Sending tEst command (45h)
Reading up to 20 bytes of response
Bytes read:
00 00
Got 2 bytes, when only 1 was expected!

Thank you very much for responding Tommy.

Best Regards,
Radagast_74
Radagast_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I tried the "Factory Reset". No change in my problem.
Radagast_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working!!! I noticed some sort of discoloration on pin6 on the JP1.3 connector inside the battery compartment of the remote. I scraped it clean with an Xacto knife. I think it was wome sort of glue! It was preventing good contact. I can't believe this. I guess exchanging the remote at RadioShack would have helped. I was minutes away from going when I discovered the problem. Well that explains why the loopback test worked! Thank you Tommy for the interface building document, testing info, and your willingness to help.

Last edited by Radagast_74 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have been the victim of the "pin 5 demon". Earlier this year, long before you were even a member of the forum, there was a flurry of posts regarding a problem with JP1.3 remotes. Pin 5 of the 6-pin header is connected to a processor pin that is very sensitive, and you MUST NOT have a wire in the cable that even touches that pin, or it will act as an antenna and cause grief. Since pin 5 has no constructive purpose in the remote as far as we are concerned, some people go through life bending it over or cutting it off in any JP1.3 remote they have. A better solution is to remove contact #5 from the connector, or cut wire #5 very close to the connector. You can leave wire #5 in the cable for added strength, just don't let it come into contact with pin 5 in the remote.

If this is your problem, the fault is mine for not following up and revising those instructions, and I apologize for that. I'll try to remedy that in the next few days. Meanwhile, try the fix and let us know the results.

Tommy
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin 5? There is an issue with that connection - if you have it wired to your interface, it may be interfering, even if not connected. I have learned, the hard way, that on RS 15-100, pin 5 must be bent out of the way or it acts like an antenna and the IR and RMIR programs won't communicate.
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Tommy! you beat me to it! Attaboy!
Radagast_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Tommy. You were writing to give me a suggestion at the same time as I was posting my "It WORKS!" reply. I guess I pressed "Submit" first. I really can't believe it was just a bad connection due to glue on the pin inside the remote! The remote blinking really had me thinking that all connections were fine. Again, I really appreciate your efforts.

Best Regards,
Radagast_74
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: