JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pogo Pin Adaptor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Pogo Pin Adaptor Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to build a JP1 Adaptor, most of the stuff is pretty off the shelf. However, I've got a 9960 OFA Kameleon which only has Pads (no pins) Thus I need to build a Pogo Pin Adaptor as well (basically an adaptor with spring load pins that you'd press againts the pads to make contact.)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what Digi-Key or Mouser would call a Pogo Pin.

Does anybody have any part numbers for Pogo Pins?

Thanks,
TAZ
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am assuming that you know you can get the pogo pins, in fact the whole kameleon jp1 kit, from http://www.hovisdirect.com or from tom at http://jp1.filebug.com , right?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the individual pogo pins are available from either of those sources. I know Rob had a supply of them at one time, and as Steve pointed out, a completed adapter is available.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do still have a bag of pogo pins, so I could supply those for you if you like. We had a very hard time finding them when we invented the pogo pin adapter.

however, I would recommend that you at least consider soldering a 6-pin connector onto the pads of your URC-9960. I did this with my URC-9960 and it's working out well. Basically, you would put some flux on each pad and on the 6-pin itself. Then you stand the 6-pin in place and solder the corner pins (to hold it in place) then solder the middle pins. Finally, you should put some hot glue all around the base to make sure that it's secure.

When you open the URC-9960 you will see a black plastic framework, you shoudl remove this to make the soldering easier (though I did do it once with the framework still in place). In addition to all the screws, there are a couple of plastic pins that hold the framework in place, you will need to cut the tops off of these pins to remove the framework. It doesn't do any harm to do this as the screws will hold everything together when you put the remote back together.
TAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's

Usblipitor
, Yeah I'm aware that jp1.filebug.com has these for $10, but I want to build it myself. Thanks for pointing it out to me and good look getting the Cholesterol out of the USB ports, that's coming from somebody who's gone from 280 to 180 of total cholesterol.

Rob, My remote's on order so I haven't actually seen how easy the access to the pins are. I have no fear or problems with soldering, I'm an Electrical Engineer who's fairly decent at soldering just about anything and everything. I want to stick with the Pogo Pins at least initially just in case I have to return the unit, but I'll probably solder a header on later anyway.

I get parts from Digi-Key at a significant discount and no shipping chargers (perks of the job) so if you could dig up the part number (mfg part number or digi-key/mouser etc.) I'd certainly appreciate that.

They're the only thing for my JP1 Pod that I didn't just have laying around.

Best Regards,
TAZ Twisted Evil
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Taz,
Personally, I think you're wasting your time building a pogo adapter, just go ahead and solder in a 6-pin. Even if you decide to return the remote, as long as you don't break it, you can return it with a 6-pin installed.

But, if you really want to get yourself some pogo pins, I can sell you a set of 6 pins for $5 shipped. The only place we could find them online was http://www.newark.com where the part number is 89F1446. Newark charges $32 for a set of 10 pins. Tommy Tyler (our hardware expert) was able to pick up a bunch of them from a liquidator which is where my supply comes from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: