JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

351601 Potenza BC4 remote rdf
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csete

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: 351601 Potenza BC4 remote rdf Reply with quote

Original subject title: Power punch through for STB control

Hello all,

It has been a long time since I've done anything with JP1. We have just moved to a new house and in the process picked up a new TV provider and associated remotes. The good news is that the remotes appear to have JP1 headers, the bad news is that I have no idea where my JP1 cabling is at at this point.

In the end, I'm only looking for a very small tweak in the short term that I'm hoping may be possible without going all in on JP1. The remote has a tag inside with the following numbers:

66950BC4-13-R C163701

I'm using it to control an Amino IP-based STB. As it stands right now, it is requiring me to switch into TV mode to turn the TV on and off and then switch back to STB mode to control the box. What I'd like to be able to do is have STB mode punch through the power toggle to the TV instead. I don't care whether or not I turn off the STB box. I'm sure this is possible if I did a full JP1 program (with help from this group!), but is there any way to do this with this remote without JP1 programming? Volume is punched through, but they don't document doing the same for the power button.

Thanks,
Craig
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following:

1. tv
2. press and hold setup(set or whatever the remote calls it) for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 4
4. press POWER
5. press STB
6. press POWER
csete

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That didn't seem to work unfortunately. Any other ideas?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be more explicit in what didn't work? For example, did you get 2 flashes after you held setup for a few seconds? If so, did you get 2 flashes after typing 994?

Could you give us more clues as to the remote you are using, like what is the brand of the TV service that the remote came with?

Also, could you try using the 983 command to blink back the remote's signature:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=983
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be the power key doesn't accept keymoves? Try a different key to land on.
csete

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn't clear. I did get 2 flashes after holding setup and typing 994. It just didn't seem to work.

The remote came with my new IP based TV provider (BEVCOMM). The STB is http://www.goamt.com/products/a540-high-definition-pvr-iptv-set-top-box . I did the 983 command and got 35161.

If the power button doesn't accept keymoves, it seems like I won't be able to make this work the way I'd like?

Craig
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the 35161 remote is not one we've seen before so I can't confirm what it can or cannot do.

Have you tried copying the POWER button to a different button? I don't know what buttons are spare, but here's how you do it:

1. tv
2. press and hold setup for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 4
4. press POWER
5. press STB
6. press {{a spare button}}

If that doesn't work, but you have a spare button that would work for this, tell us what setup code you are using for your television and I'll tell you how to do it using an advanced code.
csete

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my JP1 cables. I'm going to see if I can get them to work... it has been a *long* time since I've used JP1, so I don't know if the cables work and I don't remember how to use any of this stuff anymore. Time to go re-read the basics!
csete

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csete wrote:
I found my JP1 cables. I'm going to see if I can get them to work... it has been a *long* time since I've used JP1, so I don't know if the cables work and I don't remember how to use any of this stuff anymore. Time to go re-read the basics!

It figures... my old cable does not fit in the remote. It appears when I built it, I used an 8 pin head (not sure why) and there is just not enough space to fit the connector on to the pins. My guess is that at this point, the cable is probably only going to support older JP1 versions and maybe it is time to just buy a new one? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cable is old and you built it yourself, it's almost certainly a JP1 (EEPROM) cable, whereas your new remote is probably a JP1.4 remote.

The following cable will work with all newer JP1.x remotes and it costs lass than $10 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

If comes with 6 single hole connectors, which you can either glue together or replace with a 6-hole connector. More details here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

Last edited by The Robman on Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 am; edited 2 times in total
csete

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If your cable is old and you built it yourself, it's almost certainly a JP1 (EEPROM) cable, whereas your new remote is probably a JP1.4 remote.

The following cable will work with all newer JP1.x remotes and it costs lass than $10 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

If comes with 6 single hole connectors, which you can either glue together or replace with a 6-hole connector. More details here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

Any way to get one faster than that? Smile
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching on eBay and refining search for North America only:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401321405713

You would need to do something to change from the 1X6 connector to either individuals or 2X3. Or instead of $10, you could spend $25 or so and get one already set up with individual connectors.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a ready made cable that will be delivered more quickly (though this one will be coming from Canada, so it won't be instant delivery), you can get this one for $30 plus $3 shipping:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes-ftdi-chip.html

Even though it says $29.99 on that page, it says it's on sale for $14.99 on the following page, so maybe you can ask them what the real price is:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables.html
csete

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you want a ready made cable that will be delivered more quickly (though this one will be coming from Canada, so it won't be instant delivery), you can get this one for $30 plus $3 shipping:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes-ftdi-chip.html

Even though it says $29.99 on that page, it says it's on sale for $14.99 on the following page, so maybe you can ask them what the real price is:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables.html

I sent them a message to check on pricing. $15 didn't seem too bad... $30, maybe not so good!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why we all buy the $8 cable on ebay! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: