JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB JP1 cable using RMIR on Mac?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: USB JP1 cable using RMIR on Mac? Reply with quote

I dug up an old remote, my Chameleon URC 9960B01 the other day and was thinking it was kind of a cool remote and would like to use it as my main remote again for a while. I'm trying to make it work.

I can't seem to make it work on the Mac but that's probably because some driver here or there isn't installed.

Is it possible or do I need to go back to a Windows box or a virtual machine running Windows?

Thx
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff was mostly before I became interested in JP1, but I believe the three ways of communicating with an I2C EEPROM based remote are 1) bit banging through a parallel port, 2) with a transistor based adapter connected to a RS-232 serial port, and 3) the Delcom USB interface cable. I assume you have a Delcom interface cable made by Tommy Tyler.

I believe that Delcom only ever produced drivers for Windows based computers, so I don't think it is practical to use it with a Mac. However, many people use the adapter designed by Kevin Timmermann which is placed between the EEPROM remote and a standard USB JP1.2/1.3 cable. The adapter makes the EEPROM remote look like a JP1.2/1.3 remote to RMIR. At present I think only DIY Gadget sells these adapters.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, will go searching.

BTW, to the moderators. Some of the links on the hardware "start here" link to people who sell stuff are broken.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Usb Rm Mac Reply with quote

I will add my 2 cents worth
The DYI adapter from diygadget works perfectly.
I am Multibooting Xp, Win7, and 2 flavors of Linux and RM works with the adapter on all of them.
If you have troubles with Mac maybe you could try a live Linux cd
I also have my Linux on a bootable thumbdrive so where ever I am I can boot up my linux
and run RM as long as i have my wires with me
If you have troubles with Mac Let me know I can always send you a copy of my linux
with RM installed and ready to go
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought one of the DIY devices, hopefully that'll get me going again.

I forgot how cool the Kameleon remotes were. Bu tI think I'm going to have to back-port the JP1.3 extender to the Kameleon since I'm not so used to it. (should not be too hard since the JP1.3 extender was a port of the 9960B01 extender in the first place!)
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it appears that the remote, or at least the JP1 interface, is dead.

The remote seems to work but I can't find anything that will read the remote. I've successfully used my original USB JP1 cable and the DIY adapter to read other JP1 remotes so not sure where to go at this point.

(and yes, I did take it apart and re-solder the JP1 interface just in case there was a bad solder joint, that made no difference)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: