JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony RDR-HXD890 STOP button
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
actu_8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Sony RDR-HXD890 STOP button Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Sony RDR-HXD890 DVD/HDD unit and have been 99% successful in upgrading my OFA 7130-R2 with the RMDU file for the HXD-1070, a pretty much identical model.

The one button I cannot get to work is the STOP button. The RMDU file has this as code 0178 and looking at the Sony EFC Table, this appears the one indicated.

I have tried other codes (170, 050, 042, 210, 212) but none of these have worked. The process I used to update to these codes was using the 994 instruction as detailed on the EFC table page.

Any ideas?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is the RMDU file that you are using (it's always preferred that people post links to files):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9243

So you're saying that EFC 178 (OBC 56) doesn't work for STOP?

I just checked the Sony lists for 26.250 (DVD) and they also have OBC 56 listed for STOP:
http://hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_dvd.htm

That page lists a different code for Start/Stop. As it's hard to explain how to program these codes, I have created an RMDU file with the 3 possible Start/Stop codes entered. I've also entered a bunch of new functions that use gaps in the OBC sequence for 26.250. Try loading this file and see if any of the buttons do anything. If you get a response from any of them, make a note of which button it was and what it did. The 3 Start/Stop functions are on the 1,2,3 buttons.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26102
actu_8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That was the file I used. I will post the link in future.

I've tried the file and none of the buttons (1,2,3) effect a STOP.
actu_8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No buttons on the OFA worked using the test file.

One think I do have is a dump from my harmony remote I got from Concordance if that is any help? I have tried to determine the format but there doesn't seem to be anything helpful out there when I google it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your original remote does have a STOP button and you were able to learn it using your Harmony? Does it export the learns as Pronto hex, something like this:

0000 0073 0000 0011 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0041 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0020 00A0 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0020 0040 0041 003F 0041 0AC8

Alternatively, our Slingbox expert, Al Richey, also has a Harmony and he can log into your Harmony account to get the learn and then translate it using a JP1 remote. Let me know if you want to go that route.
actu_8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
So your original remote does have a STOP button and you were able to learn it using your Harmony? Does it export the learns as Pronto hex, something like this:

0000 0073 0000 0011 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0041 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0020 00A0 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0021 001F 0020 0040 0041 003F 0041 0AC8

Alternatively, our Slingbox expert, Al Richey, also has a Harmony and he can log into your Harmony account to get the learn and then translate it using a JP1 remote. Let me know if you want to go that route.

The Harmony didn't need to learn the code as it was in it's standard config for the Sony box. I'll go through the dump file with using a hex viewer. Are there any byte sequences that I should look for?

Alternatively I could instruct the Harmony to learn the STOP command to a spare button and have a look on my account at what's captured and pass it on.

As a further thought, I really ought to check if the stop button is working at a hardware level!!! It would be a tad embarrassing if this was down to a bit of grime under the button.

Last edited by actu_8 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To verify the grime theory, have you tried the STOP function on a button other than STOP, or have you tried a different (known to be good) function on the STOP button?

If the STOP button is pre-loaded in the Harmony, can you say exactly what device or setup code you selected on the Harmony and I can ask Al to do the same.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L K M

It looks like you are using *99x commands instead of JP1. This makes it a little more difficult to visualize.

Since you are having so much trouble with this particular command, could it be that you learned something to this button. Learns trump keymoves, so make sure you clear the learn from the button.

Clear Learn 976 command
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/976

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
actu_8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
To verify the grime theory, have you tried the STOP function on a button other than STOP, or have you tried a different (known to be good) function on the STOP button?

If the STOP button is pre-loaded in the Harmony, can you say exactly what device or setup code you selected on the Harmony and I can ask Al to do the same.

Hi - I will try the stop code on another known good button and report back. The Harmony is set up by choosing Sony RDR-HXD890 from the PVR category.

As an experiment, I did a hex compare of two concordance dump files, one with a 'new' command to which STOP was learned, then learned PAUSE to the same command (replacing the previous learned STOP command), my theory being that this might just show a few changed bytes. Alas, my theory was thwarted by hundreds of changes. I am guessing Harmony doesn't just replace the changed bytes but creates a new map and marks the other redundant.
actu_8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well......progress........BUT.......

I assigned the 0178 code to to the 16/9 key and BINGO it operates as a stop button.

The stop button (with identical configuration) is, however, operating (as in sending something to the receiver). I confirmed this by looking at the IR transmitter through my mobile phone camera and it illuminates when the button is pressed, as does the 'mode' LED at the top of remote (which shows which device the remote is set to operate).

The programming of the buttons appears identical, but they operate differently.

Also at some point during my testing, the STOP button was operating as a 'recording timer advance' button inadvertantly during testing. I haven't been able to replicate this.

Question Surprised
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al just checked the code with his Harmony and he confirmed that it is OBC 56, so you are doing something wrong, as you have just found out yourself.

Can you post your RMIR file in the Diagnosis Area so we can spot the issue?
actu_8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Al just checked the code with his Harmony and he confirmed that it is OBC 56, so you are doing something wrong, as you have just found out yourself.

Can you post your RMIR file in the Diagnosis Area so we can spot the issue?

Many thanks. File posted. I am very intrigued as to what the issue is!!!

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26105
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have no idea, there are no keymoves, macros, external functions or anything that I can see that would be blocking the STOP button.

I suspect a hardware issue with your STOP button, you can verify this by programming another working function to it to see if it works, I bet it won't.

You say that it is sending something, verified with your digital camera, do you have another JP1 learning remote that you could use to capture what is being sent? I bet it's garbage data.

I'm not familiar with this remote in person, but if it's possible to open it up without damaging it, my next move would be to inspect the STOP button internally to see if anything is obviously wrong with it.
actu_8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Ok, I have no idea, there are no keymoves, macros, external functions or anything that I can see that would be blocking the STOP button.

I suspect a hardware issue with your STOP button, you can verify this by programming another working function to it to see if it works, I bet it won't.

You say that it is sending something, verified with your digital camera, do you have another JP1 learning remote that you could use to capture what is being sent? I bet it's garbage data.

I'm not familiar with this remote in person, but if it's possible to open it up without damaging it, my next move would be to inspect the STOP button internally to see if anything is obviously wrong with it.

I could learn from the OFA to the Harmony and see what happens, and/or put the PAUSE function onto the STOP button onto the OFA and see whether it works.

The remote looks simple to open, just 4 small phillips screws.
actu_8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

** R E S O L V E D ! ! **

Not 'user error'....

Not a hardware issue....

By chance when looking at the button layout graphic in RMIR, I found that the RECORD and STOP button are transposed.

Applying 178 to to RECORD button (in reality the STOP button!!) and 206 to the STOP button (in reality the RECORD button!!) solved the issue.

There doesn't seem a way of correcting the key layout in the RMDU file, but the OFA now operates correctly by transposing the aforesaid buttons in the functions tab.

Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: