JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 A/V Receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 A/V Receiver Reply with quote

1. Device: Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 (TSR-700 is Costco exclusive, but it's an RX-V6A)
2. Type of device: A/V Receiver
3. Year: 2020
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Atlas 5 Device 3033
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? n/a
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes, didn't find anything

Any help is appreciated!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha receivers all use a subset of codes pulled from the same master set, so I bet if you tried an existing upgrade for any Yamaha receiver it would get you pretty close. As you don't have a learning remote to confirm exactly what codes each button uses, you could download one of the various "master files" that we've compiled for Yamaha receivers to see if you can find any buttons missing from the upgrade that you tried.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Yamaha receivers all use a subset of codes pulled from the same master set, so I bet if you tried an existing upgrade for any Yamaha receiver it would get you pretty close. As you don't have a learning remote to confirm exactly what codes each button uses, you could download one of the various "master files" that we've compiled for Yamaha receivers to see if you can find any buttons missing from the upgrade that you tried.

Appreciate the reply. I seem to do this every few years and have to re-learn everything. Plus, seems like the Yamahas have a ton of codes so it's a bit confusing.

Am I going in the right direction here?
I chose this file as it's pretty recent.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25778

In there, there's a combined upgrade file. I guess I would use that since I that has everything I might ever want. I'm not sure what the zones are with Yamaha.

I pull up that file in remote master and choose my remote. Then I assign the buttons and copy the output to IR and upload it to the remote.

With all of the codes in that combined file, I'm going to have a bit of work figuring out which functions to assign to which buttons for this to do what I want.

For now, I just assigned power and main volume up/down to see if it works.

My Yamaha isn't coming until Thursday so I can't test it yet, but wanted to have much of the work out of the way so that I can just do button assignments.

Am I going down the right direction here?

What version of IR am I supposed to be using? I have IR 8.04. If I'm supposed to use something else, where do I get it?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are out of date if you're asking about IR.exe, that went obsolete many years ago. RM expanded to RMIR which is now the default program to use to communicate with remotes.

And yeah, you picked a tough device as the one to re-learn everything with, because Yamaha uses WAY too many codes.

That file that you linked to might not be the best place to start as it's a zip of 10 different upgrade files containing all the buttons that we knew of at the time.

This link positions you at the start of the Yamaha files:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=9&sort_method=file_name&sort_order=ASC&start=561

Here is the master file spreadsheet:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2099

For anyone that's interested, here's the Costco product page:
https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-700-7.1-channel-network-av-receiver.product.100686465.html

Here's the user manual:
https://manual.yamaha.com/av/20/tsr700/en-US/index.html

The following page shows an enlarged pic of the remote, so you can see what buttons are on it, which might help you compile a list of button codes from the master spreadsheet. Of course, good luck finding compatible buttons for everything on your Atlas.
https://manual.yamaha.com/av/20/tsr700/en-US/5506876811.html

If you really don't have any JP1 remotes with learning ability, it might be a good idea to buy one, just so you know you will always have the ability to check what codes a button uses. Amazon has the OARUSB04G for $18 shipped:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, this is going to be fun. Appreciate the help!

Ok, well I have RMIR now. I see that it'll still load my old .ir files and has the functionality of IR, so that's easy enough.

I guess I'm confused now about whether I'm looking for an applicable .rmdu file out of the list you linked to or what do I do with that master spreadsheet file and then what are the 3 text files that are in there as well?

I don't think I'm too far off here though.

Also, with the Yamaha codes, I see power on and power off, but no power toggle? How do I assign the power button to turn on or off the unit depending on current status.

As far as the learning remote, that looks interesting. With that, do I just point the OEM remote at this learning remote and hit some buttons and then the new remote mimics the programming of the OEM remote? When if I then prefer to use my Atlas remote? I can pull up the codes the new remote learned and apply that to the Atlas remote? I'm not sure that will all be necessary, I think I can get this to work without this. I'm not looking to perfectly match the OEM remote, just get 90% of what I typically need to do working. Honestly, if power, volume and a few other functions to work, I'm almost there. I wouldn't mind having to reach for the OEM remote for anything more complicated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a learning remote, you point the two remotes head to head, and learn the signal from the OEM remote into the JP1 remote. Then, you download the memory using RMIR and it shows you what the learns look like, as in what protocol, device codes and button codes they use. You can then use that info in RM to build a new upgrade.

As for the master file, I just took a look, those 3 text files are just KM upgrades for each of the three device codes, so don't worry about them. Actually, there's a better master file, take a look at this one:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25745

You may be limited as to how many functions you can combine into one upgrade, we have seen cases before where the end user had to chose between certain functions because we couldn't fit them all in. The problem isn't the number of buttons, but the number of different device codes they use. IMHO, it's completely unnecessary, but Yamaha probably has their reasons.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The learning remote does sound helpful especially when you really want to mimic everything on the OEM remote.

I'm not clear what I'm supposed to do with that spreadsheet you linked to though. I certainly don't want to build an .rmdu file from scratch.

I'm still not clear why I wouldn't want to use this file?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25778

Those files match the spreadsheet tabs as best I can tell. Certainly, the one in the 2 combined entries match identically. Why not just use the combined .rmdu and just pick what I need out of that. Would that work? Or maybe I should just use the Yamaha RX-V685 main id1.rmdu file. I'm never going to use zones (I think I know what they are, but not sure) on my Atlas remote. I'm not sure what main vs all and id1 vs id2 are. Probably keeps things simple if I build from Yamaha RX-V685 main id1.rmdu.

For now, I've used that main file and created a custom .rmdu with power, volume and a few other settings and then added the device to my (now) .rmir file along with my tv settings and uploaded it to the remote.

If the basic functions work, I can move forward from there.

It would be easier if I had the Yamaha here to play with, but I appreciate you sticking with me here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's easier to just do it, than to try and walk someone else through doing it, so I have created an RMDU file from scratch for you, based on the buttons that appear to be on the remote and the codes in that last spreadsheet that I linked you to.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26182
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's way too nice! I loaded that up to my remote. I'll be setting up my new receiver Thursday or Friday and will report back. I can now easily change any assignments in ways that I might prefer once I start using the receiver.

I can hardly believe this community is still going. This is great work. I just looked back in my emails and see I first purchased a JP1 remote back in January, 2005 so I've been in and out of these forums for almost 16 years now.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote programming works! I'll have to play with some functions to get things where I might prefer them, but this is 90% of the way there.

Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, feel free to move the buttons around as you see fit, and remove any that you really don't need. If I remember correctly, the only button that wasn't on the list that I used was the PARTY button.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Yup, feel free to move the buttons around as you see fit, and remove any that you really don't need. If I remember correctly, the only button that wasn't on the list that I used was the PARTY button.

Everything is working great, I think you pretty much nailed it as far as the buttons.

One question though. You assigned Setup to the Setup* button. If I hit the Setup button on the remote, nothing happens. What does Setup* mean and how do I access that function on the remote? I see a key move for it in RMIR. Is there something not set right in the "other settings" section maybe? I do have some macros that use that key as well. I can delete those macros though, if that's the issue.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a mistake and it was probably the auto-assign feature that put it there. The SETUP button on the JP1 remote is just used to program the JP1 remote and can't be used for anything else (without an extender), so the correct approach is to program it to a different button if you need it.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
That was a mistake and it was probably the auto-assign feature that put it there. The SETUP button on the JP1 remote is just used to program the JP1 remote and can't be used for anything else (without an extender), so the correct approach is to program it to a different button if you need it.

Thanks for the reply, I was definitely pretty confused about that. I'll figure out where else to put the setup function from the OEM remote.

Everything else is working great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: