JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xiaomi Mi Box Streaming Android TV Device
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Xiaomi Mi Box Streaming Android TV Device Reply with quote

1. Device: Xiaomi MDZ-16-AB (Walmart exclusive US Model) (However Logitech uses MDZ-16-AA model, but it works with AB model)
2. Type of device: Android TV OS Streaming Device
3. Year: 2016
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Harmony 700
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes (assuming to connect to computer?)
6. Still have original remote? Yes, but original Remote Is bluetooth
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes (assuming RemoteCentral)
9. Partially working setup code? Yes (basic control, 11 commands)
10. Learning remote question? n/a
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? I couldn't find it.
12. If you have a Nevo (or similar) remote, have you tried ez-rc.com or simpleset.com? n/a

I don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to find the additional commands for this unit, if available? Right now Logitech has the default codes from Xiaomi's original remote, but as you all know, streaming remotes tend to be bare bones. This uses the official Android TV OS (same as Shield TV), so I know there are the possibility for extra commands. I also heard that sometimes companies uses another manufacture's IR codes and I am hoping maybe that is the case with Xiaomi.

On another note, Logitech does not have the codes for the model I have, but another model codes do work with it. The model I have is MDZ-16-AB, but codes for MDZ-16-AA (international version with Android Phone OS) works fine with my model, and even adds a button that isn't on my original remote. Because of that I tried their other models and products, but to my dismay even their TV sets use this exact same barebones remote (can't imagine a tv remote without numbers or let alone without an input button, but thats another story).

I contacted Logitech and they said if provided with the Hex Code and it works then they will add it to their database. If this is possible than if you can paste it here I will email them with the codes, or you can send them in the codes yourself if you rather. Either/or is fine by me.

The codes Logitech has already in their database:
Up
Down
Left
Right
OK
Menu
Back
Home
Power
Volume Up
Volume Down

The codes I would like to see are:
Dedicated Play
Dedicated Stop
Dedicated Pause
Dedicated FF
Dedicated RW
Dedicated Skip buttons
Number buttons
Really, every button possible.

Thanks for any help.

Moderator edit: (2020-12-07)
Final JP1 upgrade is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14383

Buttons included are:

OBC Function
3 F10
4 Menu
5 Menu Up
6 Menu Down
7 Back
8 Home
11 Menu Left
12 Menu Right
13 OK
14 Volume Up
15 Volume Down
17 F11
48 Page Up
51 Page Down
53 + (Plus sign)
54 F12
56 - (Minus sign)
204 Power
234 Power Off
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you didn't quite understand some of the questions, so I've corrected those answers:

4. JP1/UEI Remote model: n/a
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? no
9. Partially working setup code? no

Harmony is not a JP1/UEI remote, and you have no JP1 cable and no setup code from your non-existent JP1 remote that partially works.

The only way to find additional commands in this case is by trial and error (usually out of 256 possibilities). So someone, most likely you, will have to do that part since you have the device and we don't. The easiest way to do it is with a JP1 remote, which can be had for $5-$20. I highly recommend you get such a remote if you want to discover every possible command. But realize that it is very likely that there are no additional commands in existence.

I can't find any codes for this box here, at remotecentral or the globalcache database. If any additional commands are found, we can certainly help you convert them to a format the Logitech support will understand. My contacts have also let me know they they understand JP1 formats as well. So giving them the protocol, device, subdevice and OBC will also work and is shorter and simpler than pronto hex.

It's a longshot, but if you can confirm that M8 Android box codes also work on your Mi, then here are some additional codes below that you can give to Logitech:

Protcol: NEC1, Device: 1, Subdevice: 0

Code:
OBC  Command
64   power
16   menu
77   e
17   vol up
22   up arrow
65   mute
81   left arrow
19   ok
80   right arrow
25   return
76   vol down
26   down arrow
24   home
78   1
13   2
12   3
74   4
09   5
08   6
70   7
05   8
04   9
66   backspace
01   0
00   mouse
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the wrong answers and thank you for correcting them.

I searched and found some M8 Android Box codes are compatible with other devices that are listed by Logitech. I tried those devices and none of them work (the light didn't even blink showing it recognizes a command being sent).

Thank you for you help and advice. I will see about a cheap JP1 remote and do the trial and error method. A more functional remote isn't crazy important, but it would be nice to have and is worth the extra $5 and a little time.

I do have one more question, however. Searching the web I found that there are files on these Android boxes that sets the codes. I am not going to play around with these files, as I would have to root the device, but users say that these files can be modified to allow for a more robust remote control use.

I found that file and am pasting the content. It may have zero meaning to the experts like yourself, or it may provide information that will lead me to another manufacturer's code to try. Or maybe this is the codes I need for Logitech? I don't understand the file and hope I am not wasting your or other's time.

Thank you again for your previous help and any help from this.

Pasted File:

#*********************************************************************************************************
#this file is configuration for each factory remote device
# work_mode 0 :software mode 1 :hardware mode
# repeat_enable 0 :disable repeat 1 :enable repeat
#
# factory_code each device has it's unique factory code.
# pattern:custom_code(16bit)+index_code(16bit)
# examble: 0xff000001 = 0xff00(custom cod) 0001 (index)
#
# release_delay unit:ms.release will report from kernel to user layer after this period of time
# from press or repeat triggered.
#
# debug_enable 0 :debug disable 1 :debug disable
#
# SW MODE:
# bit_count how many bits in each frame
# tw_leader_act time window for leader active
# tw_bit0 time window for bit0 time.
# tw_bit1 time window for bit1 time
# tw_repeat_leader time window for repeat leader
# REG
# reg_base_gen set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BASE_GEN
# reg_control set value for PREG_IR_DEC_CONTROL
# reg_leader_act set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_ACTIVE
# reg_leader_idle set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_IDLE
# reg_repeat_leader set value for PREG_IR_DEC_REPEAT_IDLE
# reg_bit0_time set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BIT0_TIME
#*************************************************************************************************************
#amlogic DUOKAN remote
factory_code = 0x00860001
work_mode = 1
repeat_peroid = 67
repeat_delay = 200
repeat_enable = 1
release_delay = 80
debug_enable = 0
bit_count = 20
key_begin
0x05 103
0x06 108
0x0b 105
0x0c 106
0x0d 97
0x08 102
0x07 158
0x04 139
0xea 116
0x11 236
0x03 240
0x0e 115
0x0f 114
0x30 104
0x33 109
0x35 68
0x36 87
0x38 67
key_end
repeat_key_begin
0x05 103
0x06 108
0x0b 105
0x0c 106
0x0d 97
0x08 102
0x07 158
0x04 139
0xea 116
0x11 236
0x03 240
0x0e 115
0x0f 114
0x30 104
0x33 109
0x35 68
0x36 87
0x38 67
repeat_key_end
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the MyHarmony software or the standalone 7.7 software with your Harmony ?

I assume you have 'learned' the missing commands on your Harmony ?

If you are happy to give me your Harmony logon details I can install it on one of my Harmony remotes, otherwise I can give you my logon details and you can load it onto my account. Then I can analyze the signals and tell you the hex values.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the first post correctly, the OEM remote is a Bluetooth remote, so he can't learn from it, however he has found a built-in setup code in the Harmony that does works the "basic controls" of his STB. (Jeff, please correct me if I'm wrong).

So, if that is the case, if he were to tell you (Alan) which code he is using, you should be able to learn that using a JP1 remote and give us the details.
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using MyHarmony software (mac version 1.0..). Robman is correct, my remote that came with the unit is bluetooth only, while the device itself can and does receive IR commands. Logitech actually has all the original commands (11 in total) for this unit (its under a different model number than I have). I am just hoping to find some more codes because of how barebones the original remote is.

I don't mind PMing you my info, however I'm sure others are interested in getting their remotes to work with this box, so I would like to inform Logitech so they can update their database (either myself emailing them, or someone here. I can PM you the email address of Logitech's database department that I found).

Also, if either one of you want to know how I got to that file, I can give you the location. If it does indeed have the information you need, it may help you help others with AndroidTV devices (all of them seem to have this file).

Thank you all for all the help. Even if it turns out that nothing can be done, I do appreciate the time and knowledge.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you didn't actually answer my question abuut learning the missing codes but I assume you have done them.

Just send the details via PM and I will figure out the codes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to clear up the confusion.

There are no missing commands and no learned commands. OP is fishing for additional commands that don't exist anywhere that we know of.

What we do need from you, Alan (thanks for offering to help BTW), is for you to load the existing Xiaomi MDZ-16-AA into your Harmony and make a JP1 upgrade from it. Then we'll have the protocol and codes we need in order to go hunting for more.

Unfortunately I don't see the hex codes posted earlier being useful at all since none have any sort of description as to what function each would perform, making it no better than the brute force search we'll need to perform.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was/am confused. Surely the OP has the 'real' remote for the device ? And surely that will include the play/pause.... commands ?

If so he can learn them with the Harmony, I can then load it onto my Harmony and there will be no need for trial and error.

However, we have another problem. I couldn't produce an upgrade as the signal is decoding as <unknown> in IR Scope. I have uploaded the ICT file at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14377 but unfortunately there are only 11 button learns as this box does not appear to have the numbers defined.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP does have the original, but it is bluetooth only and to add insult to injury, even that remote has no play/pause.

It looks like this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDU1OA==/z/g80AAOSwnbZYGOvf/$_3.jpg
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the relevant info Al...

Jeff2525 wrote:
I am using MyHarmony software (mac version 1.0..). Robman is correct, my remote that came with the unit is bluetooth only, while the device itself can and does receive IR commands. Logitech actually has all the original commands (11 in total) for this unit (its under a different model number than I have). I am just hoping to find some more codes because of how barebones the original remote is.

I don't mind PMing you my info, however I'm sure others are interested in getting their remotes to work with this box, so I would like to inform Logitech so they can update their database (either myself emailing them, or someone here. I can PM you the email address of Logitech's database department that I found).

Also, if either one of you want to know how I got to that file, I can give you the location. If it does indeed have the information you need, it may help you help others with AndroidTV devices (all of them seem to have this file).

Thank you all for all the help. Even if it turns out that nothing can be done, I do appreciate the time and knowledge.

So, what we're looking for is the raw data for those 11 buttons in the Harmony remote, which were not learned, they were supplied by Harmony.

We will then convert them to Pronto hex so Jeff can confirm that they work, then we will create a bunch of new codes for him to test (ie, un-used OBCs)
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I missed the bluetooth only bit. Thanks
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, when I attempt to explain things, it can get a bit convoluted. Luckily a few seem to be able to decipher most of my posts. I will try to word it better than my previous attempts, but no promises!

My hardware is: Xiaomi MDZ-16-AB with a Bluetooth remote
My remote is: Logitech Harmony 700 IR remote.

I sign into Logitech software and search for MDZ-16-AA (international version) commands because Logitech does not have the MDZ-16-AB (US version) ones. Both models are essentially the same hardware except they replaced a button on the remote. The AA version has the Menu button whereas my AB version has the Voice button. I don't care about the voice control.

I then get the 11 commands onto my harmony.
Those commands are:
Up,
Down,
Left,
Right,
Power,
OK (which acts as Play/Pause),
Home,
Back,
Volume Up,
Volume Down,
and Menu.

All the commands, including the Menu command works on my hardware. I am looking to see if there are any additional codes that are not included on the remotes, such as Fast Forward and Rewind, Skip, etc.

I then found a file on my hardware that could be the additional codes. I don't understand the format of this file, so I posted it here (above post).

I know that one of the issues with this file is that if it is all the commands, they are not labeled. I am willing to figure that part out, of course.

**So long story short, I would like to see if there are additional commands other than the 11 I already have. The file has 18 entries after "key_begin" until "key_end". Could that mean there are 6 additional unknown commands that are not on the remote? (I figure 1 command is the Voice command, which obviously would be of no use on the Harmony).**

----

I should mention I just sent the file to Logitech as well, but I haven't heard from them yet. Their support is pretty good, so if its easier for you all to have me deal with them, I fully understand. I thought this was pretty simple but learnt that there is a lot more to this.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. Regarding the hardware file that you posted, while I don't completely understand the format exactly, it appears to describe the general shape of the signal and appears to be for just one button, I don't think it's a list of unlabeled buttons as you suggest. So, given that we have a pathway to finding the true format via learning the signals from a Harmony, I don't think that file is worth pursuing.

Alan, can you see if you can find a way to load an Xiaomi MDZ-16-AA into your Harmony, and if you can, then learn the resulting signals for us? Or, if anyone else has a Harmony, anyone can do that part really.

Jeff, you expressed an interest in getting into JP1 yourself, the easiest way to do so is to buy a Nevo C2 which can be had on ebay for under $20 shipped (like here). You don't need a JP1 cable to use this remote with JP1 as it has a USB connection and comes with a USB cable. The only drag is waiting for it to arrive from China. With the Nevo you can learn the signals from your Harmony which would give us the info that we need, and then we can generate an upgrade for you to load into the Nevo which you can use to test for additional functions. If you find any, you can learn them into your Harmony if you like, or you can use the Nevo with them, or we can give them to you in Pronto hex format.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
lAlan, can you see if you can find a way to load an Xiaomi MDZ-16-AA into your Harmony, and if you can, then learn the resulting signals for us? Or, if anyone else has a Harmony, anyone can do that part really.
I did it yesterday and posted the link (6 posts back)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: