JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Programming Nevo/Xsight using a Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Programming Nevo/Xsight using a Mac Reply with quote

Split from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100722

unclemiltie wrote:
If RMIR can download it that will allow you to save the profiles and devices that you have in the remote before you touch anything, so you don't have to worry about "losing" what is in the remote.

That's definitely an interesting looking remote. Try the RMIR "raw" download to see what that finds. The "standard" download looks first to identify the remote and if it has no clue what that thing is won't do much.

Also, the XSight/Nevo remotes don't work on Mac, there is no driver. So you have to be using this with a PC. you'll also need to install what UEI called the EZ RC Condiut. If you can't find that on line let me know and I can email it to you.

Just wanted to say that a nevo c2 or urc-6440 does work on mac with rmir.
I got them working on both of my macbook.
I think I installed one of the ftdi chip driver for mac, but not sure which one.
Also, ir widget, and ir toy v2 also works for me on mac.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
unclemiltie wrote:

Also, the XSight/Nevo remotes don't work on Mac, there is no driver. So you have to be using this with a PC. you'll also need to install what UEI called the EZ RC Condiut. If you can't find that on line let me know and I can email it to you.

I think I installed one of the ftdi chip driver for mac, but not sure which one.

I've tried to use the OAR (same as 6440) on the mac but it has "issues" in the files are not written properly. Graham is aware of this, something odd in the early OAR's.

But I was not able to make the Nevo work. If you have experience with this and can say how I'd be quite interested.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
chuliu wrote:
unclemiltie wrote:

I've tried to use the OAR (same as 6440) on the mac but it has "issues" in the files are not written properly. Graham is aware of this, something odd in the early OAR's.

But I was not able to make the Nevo work. If you have experience with this and can say how I'd be quite interested.

Like I said, They work for me on my two macbooks.
However, I don't know exactly what I did.
I think I installed ftdi chip driver but I don't know if it was for ir widget, ir toy, or nevo c2 to work.

If you have a way to test what I installed/did I am happy to test it on my mac and let you know the result.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8aHzss3qrAHME8wenFRdFoya1U
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FTDI driver installed to use one of the original USB JP1.x adapters But I can't seem to figure out how to make the Nevo work on my mac

the OAR works as it identifies as a USB mass storage device, the only issue is that for some reason I can't write the settings file from RMIR, it fails and leaves a zero-byte file behind. I have to do some manipulating to get it back. On the Windows VM it works fine. Graham thinks it's an issue with the implementation and its interaction with the MAC USB Device Class driver on the early versions of the OAR.
yaworski

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the FTDI driver has anything to do with these remotes as they have native USB support in contrast to the remotes with only serial port headers.

OFA Simple remotes (URC-6440 and others from that series) have a really f***ed-up implementation of Mass Storage Device, which is very time sensitive on write operations. On Windows it works very well.

For example on Linux you can't just copy a file to the remote (using command line or file manager) as the system heavily uses buffers which causes write operation to fail 100% of time. Thanks to @tidklaas providing a patch RMIR is able to write to remote properly on Linux. Right now that specific implementation is only used on Linux, while Windows and Mac both use simple file write. Maybe the same method used for Linux could also be used on Mac.

If you want to test this theory I can prepare you such compilation.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is helpful to understand

The same thing is probably going on with Mac since it's unix based and the heavily buffered writes are part of all versions of Unix as far as I know.

The only way I can do things with the remote on Mac is to save the settings file on my desktop. Then copy the file to the remote, it fails and leaves behind a zero byte settings file. then rename the zero-byte file, and quickly copy the settings file again. then delete the renamed file.

you can't just rename the full file since there is not enough space on the remote for two settings files. So you have to go through those hoops.

RMIR just fails and leaves behind the zero-byte file (and a remote that doesn't work)

Easier to just run Windows in a Parallels virtual machine and use the tools on Windows. But If I could fix this it would be great! Graham, have you looked at doing the same thing on Mac as is done on Linux?
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know why rmir works for me on mac.
It is because of the version of rmir I am running.
I am using rmir 2.04 build 9 available here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RemoteMaster/v2.04build9/

If I upgrade to build 14, the latest build, I lose the ability to download from nevo c2. I know it sounds weird, but give it a try!

Check the video I made( available soon while google processes it)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8aHzss3qrAHVWs2U2NYVEpqSzQ
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
Graham, have you looked at doing the same thing on Mac as is done on Linux?

This Mac/Linux stuff is way beyond my competence. That is all due to Marcin (yaworski) and user tidklass.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
I think I know why rmir works for me on mac.
It is because of the version of rmir I am running.
I am using rmir 2.04 build 9 available here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RemoteMaster/v2.04build9/

If I upgrade to build 14, the latest build, I lose the ability to download from nevo c2. I know it sounds weird, but give it a try!

Check the video I made( available soon while google processes it)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8aHzss3qrAHVWs2U2NYVEpqSzQ

Can anyone confirm if the rmir 2.04 build 9 works on mac or not for nevo c2?
As you can see in the video rmir 2.04 build 9 works for me for nevo c2.
yaworski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I'm already on it. Switching the upload of settings.bin to Linux implementation on Mac worked only partially for Bill. It successfully finished writing but it took over 4 minutes (in comparison to around 17 seconds on my Linux system). I don't know if the issue is with the OS or it is in fact a matter of this specific OARUSB04G model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: