JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Change font size in RMIR?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drhendrix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I've posted a screen capture of my RMIR screen taken with alt print screen, but it shows up at least 3X larger in the screen shot than it does on my desktop. If it were this size on my PC I would have no problem.

Is 1920 x 1280 that high of a resolution?
Thanks

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image was so big it was distorting the forum, so I have replaced it with a smaller image, but if you click on it, you will see the original.
drhendrix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. That resize is very much what RMIR looks like on my desktop.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the clue is in the fact that alt-print produced such a big image, in other words, RMIR thinks it's got a much larger footprint than it really does, like Windows is reducing it.
yaworski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're more solutions here:
https://superuser.com/questions/988379/how-do-i-run-java-apps-upscaled-on-a-high-dpi-display

You can also try again with "Override high DPI scalling behavior" in exe properties but this time do this on javaw.exe.

If that doesn't help try the solution with modifying java.exe/javaw.exe manifest.

There's also a chance that all these solutions work only on Win 10 (possibly on Win 8.1) and they won't have any effects on Win 7.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
BTW does anyone know if mdavej's suggested fix that involves changing a Java setting in Windows 10 resolves the problem for Win 10 users?

I imagine it would because it seems to have worked for folks in that superuser.com thread that Marcin just posted.

There might also be a solution here:
https://superuser.com/questions/1002267/high-dpi-screen-windows-how-to-make-programs-behave-as-on-low-res-screens?rq=1
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am not sure if I understand drhendrix correctly. RMIR (just like IrScrutinizer) is a graphical tool that contains a certain number of user interface elements. It is "intended" to work as a proper, resizeable window. "Normal" size is something like 1000 x 750. If you enlarge it very much above the normal size, it looks (screen shot!) like a program that has been "ridiculously" enlarged, but handles that "ridiculous" re-sizing sensibly, adding the extra space where it makes (some) sense. It is not an "app", designed for running in full-screen mode. So I do not see a misbehavior here.

Having said that, there are two use cases that make sense:

1. Disabled users, with bad eyesight, and
2. High-DPI displays (like 3840 x 2160 on a laptop, or 1920 x 1080 at a smartphone, but NOT 1920x1080 by 24")).

Both these use cases call for scaling (or selecting larger) fonts, icons, and all other measures. Java <= 8 is considered not to be very good at this. Possibly Java 9 (which is due in late July) MAY be better; possibly there are previews/beta tests available?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Sorry, I am not sure if I understand drhendrix correctly.

I understand his complaint to be, when he opens RMIR (without any special re-sizing or anything) the text is all too small to read. We have had the same complaint from others, so it's not a one-off special case. What he sees is very similar to the screen shot above.

Searching around the net I see that other folks have similar issues with other Java applications.
drhendrix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I tried the process at the link Robman provided. However, the Compatibility Administrator for Win 7 (v.5.6) does not have DPIUnaware in the Compatibility Fix List, which prevents completing the fix.

I'm looking around to see if I can find something similar for Windows 7.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article is specific to Windows 7, is there anything useful here that you haven't already tried?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff629368.aspx
drhendrix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
This article is specific to Windows 7, is there anything useful here that you haven't already tried?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff629368.aspx

Yes, I tried all of those and there was no change in the appearance of RMIR. Actually, my custom scaling was already set at 139%, which may be why the print screen I posted was so large.

I ran across this article about Windows ACT 6.0 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825226.aspx . I can't find that though. Searches always send me to Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8, which seems to be a differernt tool.

Thanks for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drhendrix wrote:
I ran across this article about Windows ACT 6.0. I can't find that though. Searches always send me to Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8, which seems to be a different tool.

I think that's just the current name for the old ACT tool. this page says:
Quote:
Please note: Microsoft ACT version 5.6 is no longer actively supported. Please download the latest version from the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10 in the Related Resources section of this page.

You can download ACT 5.6 from that site.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest a simple solution? I have the same size screen, and RMIR is perfectly legible on everything from 12" to 55" screens. But I never run it maximized. I think it will look better if you make the window half the width of your screen and 2/3rds the height. This won't increase the font size, but it won't look so sparse since all elements will be closer together, hence more legible.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching the 'look and feel' in the pull down menu to Metal also helps.
drhendrix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Might I suggest a simple solution? I have the same size screen, and RMIR is perfectly legible on everything from 12" to 55" screens. But I never run it maximized. I think it will look better if you make the window half the width of your screen and 2/3rds the height. This won't increase the font size, but it won't look so sparse since all elements will be closer together, hence more legible.

That's the way I've been using RMIR. It's still difficult to read the cells.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: