JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Change font size in RMIR?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Change font size in RMIR? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
It's been at least two years since I modified my configuration. Now I have a new amp and I need to make some major changes. But I'm quickly learning that the tools have been upgraded and that I am best off moving to RM/RMIR instead of trying to use good old IR.EXE

I've downloaded the RMIR package but I'm running into a problem where the fonts are teeny and the rows of data are overlapping and impossible to work with.

I've discovered that Remote Master has an "increase font" option that solves the problem, but RMIR does not have this option under "look and feel".

I tried reducing my display resolution but that didn't help the situation.
Any ideas?
thanks![/img]
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow up. I tried to save a config file from RMIR and then open it with Remote Master (same install package). Remote Master doesn't even see the file. Is this expected?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OS are you using (including what version)? It is true that there isn't an option to resize the font in RMIR. RMIR is a lot more complicated than RM and I have not found it practicable to include such an option. But the overlapping suggests that there might be something else wrong. I would also expect that changing your display resolution would help, and it doesn't. So it might be OS related. You might also find this thread on the font size issue to be of help.

friendlyfire wrote:
I tried to save a config file from RMIR and then open it with Remote Master (same install package). Remote Master doesn't even see the file. Is this expected?

RMIR saves and opens .rmir files, RM saves and opens .rmdu files, so if you tried to open a saved .rmir file in RM, you would not see it. The point is that RMIR edits the whole configuration of the remote, RM edits just a single upgrade. If you open a .rmir file, go to the Devices tab, select an upgrade and press the Edit button, it will open a Device Upgrade Editor that is essentially the same as RM. If you press the Save As button on that editor, you can then save the selected upgrade as a .rmdu file that can be opened in RM.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original problem: Be sure to try the different LAFs (look and feels). Not all LAFs work equally well on all OSs.
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply
OS is Windows 10 Pro, fully updated.
This is on a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 laptop which has a super hi-res display.

I tried all the GUI options. Tried reducing resolution to bare minimum, but RMIR is unusable.

I gather the problem is that Java applications don't scale seamlessly in windows.

I'm running RMIR on my windows 7 desktop and it is happy enough. A bit ackward since I need to run back and forth to try new codes.

Thanks for all your work on RMIR by the way. Very cool.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something odd somewhere. I use RMIR all the time on Windows 10 and don't have that problem.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendlyfire: Is the problem caused by the "super hi-res display"? Is it the same problem as reported (for IrScrutinizer) here?

I suggest that you temporary connect a "normal resolution display" and compare.
drhendrix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with very small font appearance in RMIR running in Widows 7. My monitor is 24" and set at 1920 x 1200 resolution. I tried all of the look and feel settings and they are all about the same.

I have given up trying to setup my Nevo C2 because it is too difficult to read the cells.

Can I set up a C2 using the RM and IR applications separately?

Thanks
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drhendrix wrote:
Can I set up a C2 using the RM and IR applications separately?

No. IR is obsolete as it does not support interfaces later than JP1.3. In particular it does not support the USB interface of the XSight/Nevo remotes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a problem like this with RMIR a few years ago. I think maybe you've downloaded an obsolete version. Please post the version number that you are finding in the RMIR under the Help->About

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
drhendrix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please post the version number that you are finding in the RMIR

RemoteMaster v2.04 build 14

I've tried the Windows Zoom feature but that is too awkward to control.

Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

Find java.exe you installed.
Right click -> Properties
Go to Compatibility tab
Check Override high DPI scaling behavior.
Choose System for Scaling performed by:
drhendrix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I tried this but in Windows 7 Home I do not have the option for:
Quote:
Choose System for Scaling performed by:

I even tried the 640 x 480 option but the font still looks about the same in RMIR.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, would it help if drhendrix posted a screen shot of how RMIR looks on his system?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, would it help if drhendrix posted a screen shot of how RMIR looks on his system?

I don't think so. This isn't an RMIR issue, it appears to be an issue with Java in Windows. Fonts of a given size in points are not being properly displayed on these super-hi-resolution screens. For RMIR to compensate for this, it has to increase the point size in every table, label, text box etc. separately. RM in fact can do this, a facility created by Greg with some improvements by me, but RMIR has far more tables, text boxes etc. and I have not considered it practicable to do this in order to resolve an issue that is not of RMIR's making. AFAIK the RM facility was put in to allow users to use smaller fonts in the days of 640x480 screens and was nothing to do with improper representation of font sizes by Java. BTW does anyone know if mdavej's suggested fix that involves changing a Java setting in Windows 10 resolves the problem for Win 10 users?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: