JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Off Topic - Home Theater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, thanks for the "fair use" info. I am a very paranoid about this.

pH7_jp1 wrote:
You don't need a second WD MyCloud for backups.It has USB on the back and when you connect a drive it will be recognized and can be set up for backup purposes.

Hi Phil Good to know. That might make the 8GB nas affordable. Are you back from FL?

Quote:
If you ripped you DVD's as an ISO so the menus are operational -- a DLNA server won't serve them.
. I was thinking mp4 or mkv. The only menu feature I ever use is subtitles. Do you know anything about them? Although I could probably recite the dialog by heart on most of these oldies. I haven't seen anything recent that I'd want to store in my library.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you back from FL?
Yes

Quote:
The only menu feature I ever use is subtitles. Do you know anything about them?
I rip both DVD and BluRay using MakeMKV and store and serve them from MyCloud with the default server installed with the MyCloud. I use the Kodi player on my Nvidia Shield to play them and I have turned on sub-titles for both DVD and BluRay rips.

Quote:
I haven't seen anything recent that I'd want to store in my library.
I resemble the remark. Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
[
Quote:
The only menu feature I ever use is subtitles. Do you know anything about them?
I rip both DVD and BluRay using MakeMKV and store and serve them from MyCloud with the default server installed with the MyCloud. I use the Kodi player on my Nvidia Shield to play them and I have turned on sub-titles for both DVD and BluRay rips.

I've read about makeMKV, the people posting also talk about using this in conjunction with HandBrake.

Are they easy? I like easy even better than free.

I had planned on trying them this morning, but the best laid plans.... This morning we had a disaster. DH took off on a motorcycle trip with his buds. We share 1GB of data with our cell phone plans, and we've been conserving it ALL for this trip. I have a Ball game to attend today, so I wanted to be able to snap some pics since I can't surf the web to kill the time.... I was out of photo space, so last night I connected up to iTunes and did my backup and upgrade, and it asked to update my carrier services. So I agreed. This morning when I took my phone off do not disturb, and the text's started rolling

You've reached 75% of your data
You've reached 90% of your data
We've upped you with 500MB of data $$
We've upped you with 500MB of data $$$
We've upped you with 500MB of data $$$$
We've upped you with 500MB of data $$$$$
We've upped you with 500MB of data.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$......

Looking at my cellular data usage, all of this was going towards my personal hotspot that was turned OFF, All the other apps combined had used 30MB since April 27th.

It took a 4.5 hours with AT&T to find a tech who could fix that.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Here's a Bluray for $35 and it's in Florida:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271997130100

Note that that unit requires a LAN cable, it's not wifi. Do you have a LAN cable where you'll locate this box?

If you need it, here's one with wifi for about $40:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351829475706

This is hard. With smart stuff I like to get current model equipment to make sure I get the best features and the best support with security updates. That experience with my "new" nevo having UEI support being withdrawn reinforces that notiove. Everyone I know that has a Blu Ray has a Samsung and they love them but they got them before the curve!!! The new models areso UGLY with that curved case. They really beg to be hidden away. Maybe I'll spend a lot more on rentals and just stream them in HD instead of picking them up at the redbox.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a trade off, spends more to get the most recent model, or spend less to get a dependable "oldie but goldie". If you have a LAN cable where you'll be locating the Bluray, get the first one, it's just $35 shipped, how can you go wrong with that?

And don't forget that you can get DVDs and BDs at your local library. They're free at my local library, plus you can order them online so if the local library doesn't have the title, you can pull it in from another library and pick it up locally.

EDIT: I see the original one has sold already, so here's another for $29 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282511138406
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
It's a trade off, spends more to get the most recent model, or spend less to get a dependable "oldie but goldie". If you have a LAN cable where you'll be locating the Bluray, get the first one, it's just $35 shipped, how can you go wrong with that?

And don't forget that you can get DVDs and BDs at your local library. They're free at my local library, plus you can order them online so if the local library doesn't have the title, you can pull it in from another library and pick it up locally.

EDIT: I see the original one has sold already, so here's another for $29 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282511138406

You are right. I can always use it somewhere.

They have 1 less now. And I finally pulled the trigger on my Amazon order too after removing the stuff I want but don't need and then verifying the specs one last time.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR arrived. I had mixed results, the picture was a whole lot better, the closed captions were worse.... Then I hit the power button by mistake, and when it powered back on it would no longer recognize that there was a disc in the tray no matter how many times I opened and closed the tray, or changed DVDs. Any ideas other than an RMA?

Since I had to build a remote for the blu ray I finally broke out my JP1 stuff and started a new remote for the theater. The lasko fan upgrade from the file section doesn't work with JP1.2 the lights just stay on forever. The Lutron file threw Remotemaster for a loop, probably because there is no JP1.2 code. No error thrown and it let me switch to that remote, but it didn't build any keymoves, so something was going on there..

The JP1 stuff I can fix. The BR is unfortunately a problem. I have had phenomenal luck with buying high end equipment with no remotes at deep discounts, it was only a matter of time before I got a dud....

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
BR arrived. I had mixed results, the picture was a whole lot better, the closed captions were worse.... Then I hit the power button by mistake, and when it powered back on it would no longer recognize that there was a disc in the tray no matter how many times I opened and closed the tray, or changed DVDs. Any ideas other than an RMA?

That's a pity, but it happens. As you just bought it, I would suggest returning it, but you could do a Google search to see if this is a common problem and if there's an easy fix.

You could try resetting it using these instructions:
* Press the HOME Button to move to the Home screen.
* Remove any disc or USB storage device.
* Press and hold the image button on the front panel for 5 seconds or more.
* All settings will revert to the factory settings. Password : Enter the desired 4-digit password using the number buttons. Default password is set to 0000.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

That's a pity, but it happens. As you just bought it, I would suggest returning it, but you could do a Google search to see if this is a common problem and if there's an easy fix.

Yes, I've had brand new stuff arrive with problems too. I did a google search and never found anything on my error. I just got my return authorization for the BluRay. I thought before I returned it, I'd at look at the streaming to see how that does in comparison with my Roku. When I picked the player up to plug in the ethernet cord, there was a clatter. Question Oh yeah don't forget to get your DVD out of the tray. I turned on the machine and the DVD was detected Exclamation 117 minutes later I finished watching Last of the Mohicans. Wow was it beautiful. I never really was able to see it before. it had that really wide format where everything was so small on the TV that I could never really see anything. I've got to see if I can take a picture of that. I had read over and over on the internet by "experts" on different forums that state that its not going to make that big a difference. I've opened it up 25 more times without a problem, dvd was detected everytime. I wonder if it is really "fixed" I think I'll keep working with it until closer to the end of the return deadline and if no more problems I'll keep it.

I've got a lot to learn on the router. It took me forever to find where to assign static IP's. And the firewall has so many things. Before I had high medium and low. I used to have it on High except when I wanted to use update my website, when I'd turn it to low. This new thing has so many twaks with acronyms I don't understand. Google here I come.

Next item for unboxing is the NAS. I'm really having fun.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
When I picked it up to plug in the ethernet cord, there was a clatter. Question Oh yeah don't forget to get your DVD out of the tray. I turned on the machine and the DVD was detected Exclamation

I bet you leave CDs in rental cars too, lol!

vickyg2003 wrote:
I've got a lot to learn on the router. It took me forever to find where to assign static IP's.

And the trouble is, each router company has a different interface, so you have to re-learn it each time. A lot of the stuff is similar, so it not always that bad, but I still haven't taken the time to figure out my new router because the interface is so different, and I was really getting good with the old one.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blu Ray quit again, just one day before my return window was closing, so it went back. I've been looking at the new ones. Problem being that there is very little documentation on what makes the more expensive ones, more expensive.

I've started looking at new units. The model numbers are very confusing, I can't figure out what is newer and what is older. I went to the Samsung site, but those numbers don't really seem to exist. It looks like they create part numbers for different vendors.

I'm looking for the word Upscaling in the description.

I also decided I need dual band wifi in case this moves to FL where I can't wire in

Apparently some of Samsung blu ray's have the Opera App store, others have the Samsung App Store, but I only found that in passing. I can't find which is the good one and which is the undesirable, and then it is not listed in the specs anyway. Part of the idea of having the smart blu ray is to make it so I won't miss the Roku. Next year I'll just move my FL unit back to MI for the

I looked at a BDJ7500, but that seems like over kill, since a lot of the technology was designed to keep the to bypass older AV units and I don't have any AV receiver (yet, lol). You guys have placed ideas in my head, but I probably won't get one for the "theater". If I get the AV receiver it will go upstairs, and the old audio receiver will be mine to crank out the volume.

I have installed the NAS and put 9GB of music out there and one home video. It all works pretty well with simple DLNA but I'm still exploring Kodi and Plex servers.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

I'm pretty sure all Bluray players upscale DVDs for playback, so I don't think they will all mention it in the description.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

I'm pretty sure all Bluray players upscale DVDs for playback, so I don't think they will all mention it in the description.
This is an area where more expensive players MIGHT do a better job. If it is an important feature to you, reviews of the product often mention how well a player does.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one on woot:

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/samsung-ultra-hd-streaming-blu-ray-player?ref=w_gh_el_2_d_ph
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

This is an area where more expensive players MIGHT do a better job. If it is an important feature to you, reviews of the product often mention how well a player does.

I'm thinking that the ones that upscale to 4K, might have the best algorithm for the DVD. The difference in quality between the plain old DVD player and the upscaling was really pronounced. I really couldn't capture the difference with a camera.

Edmund wrote:
There's one on woot:

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/samsung-ultra-hd-streaming-blu-ray-player?ref=w_gh_el_2_d_ph

Hi Edmund, I'd never heard of Woot before. Reading the reviews of the UBD-KM85c blu Ray player said it was exactly the same as the UBD-K8500. One of the things I do want to avoid is that horrible looking curved front. What were they thinking! It doesn't blend well with any other brand of equipment. Of course the BD0H5100 that I returned had the controls on the top of the unit, making it hard to add to a stack of gear anyway, but the curve, yuck! I suppose it is to play up those curved TV's which I didn't like either. But what did I know, I never thought we'd all be embracing this 16:9 format that takes so much wall space to get a decent size picture!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: