JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Denon AVR-S760H

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Denon AVR-S760H Reply with quote

1. Device: Denon AVR-S760H
2. Type of device: AVR
3. Year: 2021?
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Xsight Color
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? n/a
6. Still have original remote? no
7. Checked the file section? yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? no
9. Partially working setup code? no
10. Learning remote question? yes
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? n/a
12. If you have a OARUSB04G, URC-6440 (or similar) remote, have you tried simpleset.com? n/a

Have ordered this AVR as it's on sale as a refurb for only $200 more than what 8 year old models seem to be going for, and it is 8K capable and has a phono input. What's not to like?

when inquiring to Denon about code lists they directed me here

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-x8500h

which I assume means that the S760 uses the same codes as the X8500, possibly fewer of them. All well and good. I actually dusted off an old spreadsheet that I had made for a 3310ci years ago and it appears that the codes are substantially unchanged which is great, I had that updated with the few minor changes in about 20 minutes, copy here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26457

(that's a zip with my spreadsheet and the Denon document together)

now here's the question, above and beyond what I've done, there's a whole 'nother section in the Denon doc that has more codes yet, some of them for things not listed in the first section. I started comparing with this list here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14397

I THINK I understand but am asking to make sure I'm correct in what I'm seeing. I can't say that I can actually understand how to get from Point A to Point B, but I am seeing patterns.

The first section, the one we discussed years ago and for which I created the spreadsheet, is the "Denon/Sharp" protocol and I'm assuming is GTG.

The second section, that begins on Page 9 with "FORMAT KASEIKYO" is Denon-K protocol I can't say that I really understand what is going on with the info on Page 10 other than presumably somehow you can manipulate those codes if you have multiple Denon units using the same protocol in the same place?

but I think I see the pattern correct me if I'm wrong

RCKSK0410001

translates to

Denon-K, Device 4, Subdevice 1, OBC 1

RCKSK0410002 = Denon-K, Device 4, Subdevice 1, OBC 2

by comparing to this sheet here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14397

So some codes can be sent two ways, but the Denon-Kaseikyo set actually has a lot more codes in it than the Denon-Sharp set.

am I getting this more or less right, and can anyone explain in more detail so I understand how to get from the one document to a working upgrade?

thanks much! (anticipating new toys...)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very close. The "1" after the 4 in your example represents the zone, where 1 is zone 1, 3 is zone 2, and 5 is zone 3. When you pick "Denon-K" in RM, you'll see a "Z" column rather than subdevice.

My upgrade already has nearly all of the codes you found in the Denon document:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13367
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. So looking at what you did, then, just asking one last time to make sure I got it...

RCKSK0410001 "All Power On" is Denon-K (assuming Remote Code KaSeiKyo?) the "04" is Device 4, entered on the Setup tab, "1" is "Z" entered on Functions tab, "0001" is the OBC.

RCKSK0410006 "Main Zone On" is likewise Device 4, Z=1, OBC 6.

RCKSK0430006 corresponding "Zone 2 Power On" is Device 4, Z=3, OBC 6?

am I getting the pattern correct?

Looking at the notes on the Denon-K protocol; where did the 84 and 50 come from? "Denon Code" on document is 4523. (I don't necessarily need to know this to just make a basic upgrade, I am just curious.)

Also, I still don't really understand the "Remote ID1" and "Remote ID 2-4" thing. What does that mean (one main remote and three secondary remotes?) and it appears that IDs 2, 3, 4, are identical? Again, I don't necessarily need to know this, but I like understanding how stuff works.

thanks! Asking because I've already had three Denon and one Marantz fairly recent AVRs (starting with '08 MY) doubt this'll be the last time I do this Smile

It is nice that Denon publishes these, but I do miss that Oppo Digital made their code lists literally cut, paste, you have an upgrade in 10 minutes... (and I've done so for every generation since they were just DVD players...)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Denon code is:
00101010 01001100

But LSB is on the left. So if you flip each, you get:
01010100 (84) and 00110010 (50)

I have no idea why Denon did changed the zone codes for the 2 groups of IDs. But the OBC ranges are unique for each of the 4 IDs.

The purpose for remote IDs is so you can have multiple Denon AVRs in the same rack that can be controlled independently by setting each to it's own unique ID, then setting the remote ID to match.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so maybe I'm still not 100% understanding. Let's say I want to send a code from Remote ID #3. What do I change in my spreadsheet to make that code set?

(this isn't actually relevant to getting this working; again, I'm just trying to learn and understand.)

Of course this may be irrelevant as I ordered the receiver as a refurb from Denon directly; they sent it FedEx direct signature required AND 1) told FedEx to not allow me to sign a release to have them leave it on porch (OK, I get that) 2) told FedEx to not allow me to have the package held at the local depot for pickup (WTF?) and 3) WEEKDAY DELIVERY ONLY (???????!?!?!?!?!) so it's likely going back to Denon unless they try to deliver it for the 3rd time after I get home from work on Monday.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
so maybe I'm still not 100% understanding. Let's say I want to send a code from Remote ID #3. What do I change in my spreadsheet to make that code set?

Add 1 to all Z codes since the Z codes for ID2-4 are 2, 4, 6, 8 instead of 1, 3, 5, 7, and add 2048 to each and every OBC since the OBC range for ID3 is 2048-3071. This is equivalent to changing bit 11 from zero to 1. So in your "Main Zone On" example, OBC 6 becomes OBC 2054.

Hope your delivery issues work out.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lemme see if I got this straight. GENRE1 is "Device" GENRE2 is "Z" and then bits 39 and 40 should be the ID, so 1 would be I'm guessing "00" actually, then 2 = "10" 3 = "01" and 4 = "11" yes? (so in reality the remote IDs are 0, 1, 2, and 3 if you think in binary)

edited spreadsheet with these assumptions, please let me know if you agree with what I did.

As for delivery issues, I found the same exact receiver at Costco for $50 more than the refurb from Denon and the same price as a refurb from Accessories4Less, so I'm just going to let FedEx send the first one back to Denon. I am not, however, doing any more with this today than I've already done as I desperately need to finish laundry and cleaning...

thanks for bearing with me through this.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I tapped out before I could rearrange the living room without guilt, but I'll get to it eventually... plus I figure that spreadsheet can be used for likely any vaguely recent Denon code lists
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm finally coming back to this, had a massive rearrange and I'm also testing a Sofabaton U1. However, I did email Denon about the spreadsheet and this is what I got in reply

Quote:

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sound United Support today. We value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

My apologies for the delayed response. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please be advised that the information for these codes came from the Engineering department. Technical Support does not have the ability to troubleshoot or fix anything that may be wrong with the data. Engineering does not answer to us and they do not work in a customer facing part of the business.

Two of the five red highlighted cells refer to functions for zone 3 which would not apply to an AVR-S760H because it is only a 2 zone unit.

Two of them are for a sleep and mute function for zone 2 respectively. And the 5th refers to the Graphic EQ. However, we cannot assist with this.
We make the information that we have available for customers to use. But we do not support them doing their own remote programming.
If the remote that came with the unit works then our hardware (and the codes used to program it) work.

Thank you for contacting Sound United Customer Support. Have a great day

Warm Regards,

Alexis
Denon Customer Service
Sound United North America
Denon | Marantz | Polk | HEOS | Definitive Technology

Auto-Response By (Administrator) (05/24/2022 10:54 AM)
These Answers were automatically selected for your consideration. If your issue is addressed in our public Answers, the solution link should be listed below. If no solutions are listed or the solutions do not match your issue, there were no public Answers matching your issue.

The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)
Answer Link: Remote Preset Codes
Answer Link: Discrete IR commands for Denon products
Answer Link: Controlling with an Xbox One
Answer Link: AVR not responsive to RS-232 commands
Answer Link: Using the Mute button in conjunction with the On Screen Display (OSD) button
Customer By Web (Nathan Nagel) (05/24/2022 10:54 AM)
Good morning,

I was attempting to develop a cut and paste list of remote codes for my AVR-S760H based on a document that I downloaded from your web site. However, I find that there are some inconsistencies and was hoping you could confirm the correct codes for me. The attached spreadsheet is one that I created based on the Denon document and when I went to cross check some of the OBCs they don't match. Please look at the red highlighted cells in column AJ on the tab "Denon AVR-X8500H Kaseikyo" to see those few codes. Thanks for any help you can offer! (please feel free to modify/post the spreadsheet once it's fixed, if you think it'll help other customers)

Now a couple of those I can see what the error is, a couple I can't and have no way of fixing. I feel like I just got told to piss off...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: