JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Having JP1 amnesia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you shouldn't be connecting the wires to the 9910; instead the wires should be connected to the JP1 to JP1.x adapter. I don't own one, so I don't know how the adapter is marked.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm using the adapter. There are no markings on the adapter. I just assumed that the signals get passed through from the 6 pins to the 6 holes across from them. If the 2x3 pins don't line up with the 2x3 holes on the other side, then I have no idea how to wire this up.

Here are two pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/XNMNib1fNbabm9SNA

(1) white, green, yellow on one side of the adapter (pins 6,4,2 respectively)
(2) [not connected], black, [not connected] on the other side (pins 5,3,1)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some significant circuitry inside the adapter. It's not a pass thru. Given there are no markings, you have 4 combos to try. Assume pin 1 is top left, connect your colored wires, plug the adapter into the remote. If it doesn't work, flip the adapter around the other way. If that doesn't work, assume pin 1 is bottom right and try as-is and flipped.

When you get everything working, get a silver sharpie or white-out and mark 1 on the adapter.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Thanks for all your help. I will play around some more when I get a chance and report back.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possibility: We need to be sure that your OS is seeing the FTDI chip. Get to Device Manager (how to get there depends on which version of Windows you have) and open Ports (COM & LPT) You should see an entry for USB Serial Port (COMx). Click on that and then the Details tab. Select Hardware Ids. FTDI VID is 0403. Typical PID is 6001, but the newer FT230X chips are PID 6015. If you see 6015, it may help to get 0.21 of JP12Serial.dll

On the other hand, if you don't see the USB Serial Port listed under Ports, then your computer is missing the FTDI device driver.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a new error now. When uploading, it now warns me that I'm about to overwrite what's on the remote. Fine.

Then after uploading, it says, "Upload verify failed: data read back doesn't match data written."

When I loaded my old IR file, it gave me four choices of remotes.

URC-8910 (extender) new
URC-8910 (extender) old
URC-9910 (extender) new
URC-9910 (extender) old

The error wouldn't have anything to do with that, right? I chose URC-9910 new since it's a URC-9910B01 with the directional arrows (no donut).

If I uncheck the "verify after upgrade" option, It says upload complete, but it doesn't appear that my image was actually uploaded.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be low batteries. How many blinks on the remote when the upload finishes?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend to first download from the remote, and to inspect the IR file. Let's make sure of the signature. Perhaps the remote has had an extender loaded, but has subsequently done a 981 reset. If so, the signatures won't match.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I recommend to first download from the remote, and to inspect the IR file. Let's make sure of the signature. Perhaps the remote has had an extender loaded, but has subsequently done a 981 reset. If so, the signatures won't match.

I think this is it. I am not sure how, but somehow in this process, the remote reaet to factory settings (I didn't do it manually). I'll refresh my memory on how to install the extenser. You all have been very helpful. Thanks.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

I seem to remember with IR, the first time I uploaded an image with an extender, it would say that the signatures didn't match, and I had to confirm that it was ok to upload.

Is there an option in RMIR to do something similar? If so, I didn't see it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll still be prompted when there is a signature mismatch. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough about the 9910 extenders to know if they even change the signature.

Did your download from the remote work properly? Can you post that file for us to look at? Did you put in fresh batteries?
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
You'll still be prompted when there is a signature mismatch. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough about the 9910 extenders to know if they even change the signature.

Did your download from the remote work properly? Can you post that file for us to look at? Did you put in fresh batteries?

I will try both tonight when I'm home from work. Thanks.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

I tried new batteries. Same result. Also, after attempting to upload, my remote is sometimes frozen, at which point I have to remove the cable and/or reinsert the batteries to unfreeze it. After putting batteries in, I can now press power to activate the extender, and I know the extender is running because the custom mode names are working.

I can tell that my old upgrade is still in the remote though. I was able to download from my remote. Here is the resulting RMIR file, which appears to be ok:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14159
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even tried uploading the file resulting from the download. I got the same error:

"Upload verify failed: data read back doesn't match data written."
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many blinks do you get on the remote after an upload attempt?

Your remote is very full. I tried to streamline your file a little. So give this a try:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14160

Before your next upload, go to Remote - Verify after upload in the menu in Remote Master and uncheck it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: