JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Channel Master DVR+
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an everyday remote, the OAR would still be nice to have. Unlike the RCA, it has bigger buttons, backlighting, higher quality overall and you only have to fiddle with one connection rather than 4. In any case, the RCA is also a fine remote that many of us have used for many years.

Since the OAR comes with a cable, you could start using it with JP1 software immediately.

Just sayin'...
Erds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Some Success Reply with quote

Using a JP1.x RCA RCRP05BR learning remote, I was able to capture the remote address change commands from the old original DVR+ SMK remote.
I discovered that on the old remote, pressing the "page up and "page down" buttons simultaneously is just to ready the remote itself to accept a device address three number entry such as 001, 002 etc.
The "page up" and "OK" are then both pressed sending the change to the DVR+
I captured both sequences but discovered that all is required to change the DVR+ unit is the transmission of the "page up"+"OK" address change command. I captured that command twice. First with the OEM remote ready to send 001, and pressing "page up"+"OK" and stored that to the red button on the learning remote under audio device learned that I don't use. Then I set the OEM remote to send 002, pressing "page up"+"OK" and stored that on the green button under audio learned.
Now I can set either DVR+ units with the learning remote by pressing "AUD" then the desired "red" for 001 or "green" for 002 remote address.
One thing to be aware of which I observed. The address change command sent out is global and is not device specific. Even with the unintended DVR+ turned off with power connected, the command will change all of your units at once in an instant. The user will either have to thoroughly block the IR receivers on the units to be ignored, or unplug them. Both my units would change, even when they both were in the off mode but powered. So I would unplug one to be ignored and set the other. Works great.
I am still waiting for my JP1.x cable, but I will upload the data once received so you all can analyze to see what the data consists of. It would be handy to choose any device number desired when no old OEM remote is available and to know how the command header addressing works. The old remotes will be getting rare being they are no longer available.
The RMIR or RM files, if both needed, hopefully will reflect all learned command functions for both DVR+ addresses. The 001 commands are in the "DVR" device, and 002 in the "DVD" device. The address change commands for 001 and 002 are in the "AUD" device red and green respectively to reduce an accidental button push and to easily organize the file data.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erds. I'm not sure if that procedure ('001 commands...in the "DVR" device, and 002 in the "DVD" device') is just a long winded way of changing 'A/V inputs', individually aka 'Hdmi1', 'Hdmi2' etc.
Quote:
The address change command sent out is global and is not device specific. Even with the unintended DVR+ turned off with power connected, the command will change all of your units at once...
As mdavej has said recently, sending an input command can often also act as a discrete 'power on' command to the device which is connected by the respective input
i.e. sending it when the device is already powered on does not act to toggle power to 'off'.

With JP1 the term 'global' can be used to describe a 'macro', which is a sequence of various commands, whether for a single device or several different devices.
When a global macro is assigned to a button it gets sent when the remote is in any device mode.

Luckily RCRP05BR can also assign DSMs ('device specific macros') to its buttons, which only get sent when the remote is in a specifc device mode.
This will all become clearer when you can actally use JP1's GUI program, 'RMIR', but you will have already seen:-

RMIR opens in the 'General' tab where, by clicking the 'File' button at top left, you can get a wizard for loading an 'Upgrade' file for each of your devices (to be found in the File Section here).

There are other tabs, including 'Keymoves', 'Macro' (for setting up global versions), 'Special Functions' (for RCRP05BR the only available special function is DSM), and 'Devices', where the default button assignments can be edited.

When you load an upgrade the wizard invites you to specify which button to use (for setting the RCRP05BR's mode to that device) but, in the Layout page of Device> Edit, you can also assign any of that device's keys to a Device Button, including its input commands (which become global when assigned to a device button, so pressing a device button can also set the input for that device).

Usefully the input keys can also be assigned to Shifted buttons, perhaps for use in macros, or in the Keymoves tab to buttons in other devices.

Eventually you may find it useful to put a DSM on a non-device-button 'n' to include setting the remote's mode to another device and the TV device's input for that device (and/or input for other other mediator device/s).
Then, in the target device, put a DSM on the same button 'n' for return to the first device mode with the appropriate inputs set back again.

Having said all that I'm not sure if, without employing an extender, you could just put a DSM on a device button Smile and would welcome correction to avoid misleading anyone.
Erds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tranx.
Actually it's not an input selection issue. I was referring to addressing the units so that one remote won't affect both DVR+s at once. All of these units come with the remote address set to 001 by default. The remotes that now ship with the units don't let you change it as before with their old remotes. A huge issue if you want more than one unit in the same room and need to differentiate. Channel Master has no remedy yet.
I've yet to learn how to use the shift function on a JP1.x remote. Once I get plugged in and able to use RM, it should become clearer.
The cable I ordered must be on a slow boat from China.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so maybe a couple of these IR controlled power plugs would help.
It appears that each could learn to respond to a different command: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-Wireless-IR-Remote-Control-Controller-AC-Power-Socket-Switch-Plug-/302073419842?hash=item4654fa9842:g:F~QAAOSwNRdX2WBZ
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The address switching is a one-time thing when you first buy a DVR, no need for anything additional. Will be able to easily switch once we see the codes.
Erds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right mdavej.

I have all the working codes stored and will make sure to post in the proper area when I can.
Erds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Image Map Reply with quote

I uploaded an image map to try working with Map This! for the first time.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14317

I used 3FG's 255504 rdf as a guide to play with see if it would display. It seemed to work OK. The power on and off show down in the phantom area in RM but was fun to work with. Still waiting on cable for raw data and doing a lot of reading.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. If button names match the RDF button names exactly, they won't show in phantom area. So check spelling, caps, spaces, etc. I won't have a chance to make any corrections for a few more days.
Erds

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries mdavej.
I'll keep working on it. It will help me to understand better.
Erds

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my JP1 FTDI cable and have uploaded some files to restore a newer Channel Master CM-7500XRC2 from RMIR if anyone needs to. I had to save the file as a .ir as the .rmir would error on open. I included both versions to compare. Also included is a revised rdf file and map files for the newer remote.
I used an RCA RCP05B remote to learn the commands from the old original Channel Master SMK remote using two different remote addresses 001 and 002. Using IR Protocol Analyser 1.1, the addresses have been noted in the RCA remote RMIR file. It will explain a little about the command 42 to change the DVR unit address. All the commands at this point are stored in the learned commands area.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14339

Erds.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I've committed the Map and Image file to SourceForge.
The cause of the RMIR loading problem was incorrect Segment info in the RDF file. It listed segments $DA, etc. and these are used to specify Activities, which this remote doesn't do. So I also committed a revised RDF file. I changed "dot" to "Period", following what you did in your revised RDF file. I didn't change the RDF file name, because although the remote is an example of the Fusion class of remotes (announced in 2012!), we don't know that this 255504 signature will be used in any other Fusion remote. Also, most people would have no way to identify this remote as a "Fusion". Anyway, grab this new RDF file from SourceForge, download and save a new RMIR file from your remote, and see if RMIR can load the resulting the new RMIR file.

BTW, in a RDF file, a [Buttons] entry like
Code:
"prev track":SkipBack=$17
tells RMIR that there is a button labeled SkipBack with button number 0x17, and also that this button has nominally the same functionality as the historical function "prev track". RMIR will use this latter information when transferring an upgrade from one remote to another in order to automatically assign the buttons.
Erds

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help 3FG. The file works now. The only way I could get it to load before was to edit out the macros used for power off and power on that controls everything at once. I've since replaced the 47 power on with hex 1 that can toggle power on and of specific to the DVR.
I'm glad the image and map were of use. Was fun to do.

Thanks so much again.

Erds.
Erds

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I meant OBC 1 Hex 80 on the power on button.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping an old thread for the benefit of some DVR+ users in another forum. I just picked up one of these myself and have made some RDF changes to make this remote a bit easier to use. I'm stating the obvious below for the benefit of new users.

- You can put macros on any key or shifted key (that's 92 places to put macros)
- No keymoves. But you can simulate a keymove with a 2 step macro. For example, to make the Zoom button do Home on a Roku, your macro steps would be select Roku device then Home function.
- So far I haven't found a way to change device modes permanently. But you can change device modes within a macro and send commands from different devices.

Another little wrinkle that only JP1ers will understand, but since there are no keymoves, any extra functions must go on keys without an asterisk in the device editor. Luckily if you pick the DVD device type, you get 40 something additional phantom buttons to use. I made my AVR a DVD device type so I'd have spots for all my discrete input commands.

The RDF changes I made relate to device selection. Since this remote has no device buttons, I added them to the buttons section to make it easier to change devices inside macros. The relevant code looks like this:

Code:
[Buttons]
Setup=$01,
Red=$1A:Shift,TV_dev=$9A:AllMacroBind,
Green=$12:Shift,Audio_dev=$92:AllMacroBind,
Yellow=$0A:Shift,STB_dev=$8A:AllMacroBind,
Blue=$02:Shift,DVR_dev=$82:AllMacroBind, 

I'm mulling over ways to make the huge DVR phantom button map more user friendly instead of having the name 'button' followed by a hex code.

3FG, if you're watching this thread, do you think it would be useful to add all these to the buttons section as phantoms? Would that cause issues since they're in only one of the 4 button maps? Should I inhibit shifted version of primary buttons that have a match in the button maps? I'm not quite sure how to handle this very odd remote.

Last edited by mdavej on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: