JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Channel Master DVR+
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckeays

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Channel Master DVR+ Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I just got a Channel Master DVR+ which has a JP1.x remote.

When I try to read the remote, I am getting the message"no RDF matches signature starting 2555"

here is a bit of the rmaster.err file:

Code:
Starting normal download
Interface Name = JP1.X Serial
Port Name = COM1
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Interface matched.  Trying to open remote.
Port Name = COM1
Opened on Port COM1
Interface opened successfully
Base address = $13600
Interface type = 257
Searching for RDF
Final signature sought = 2555
No matching RDF found

I know the programmer is working correctly, in fact I used a serial log program to view the data:
Code:

Connected to "Communications Port (COM1)"

Port opened by process "javaw.exe" (PID: 1720)

Request: 6/30/2016 9:30:53 AM.85364

00 02 51 53                                       ..QS           

Answer: 6/30/2016 9:30:53 AM.85364 (+0.0000 seconds)

00 02 00 02                                       ....           

Request: 6/30/2016 9:30:53 AM.85364 (+0.0000 seconds)

00 02 50 52                                       ..PR           

Answer: 6/30/2016 9:30:53 AM.85364 (+0.0000 seconds)

00 08 00 03 21 00 00 DA 00 F0                     ....!..Ú.ð     

Request: 6/30/2016 9:30:53 AM.85364 (+0.0000 seconds)

00 08 01 00 00 DA 00 00 3E ED                     .....Ú..>í     

Answer: 6/30/2016 9:30:53 AM.86864 (+0.0156 seconds)

00 40 00 32 35 35 35 30 34 55 45 49 20 46 75 73   .@.255504UEI Fus
 69 6F 6E 20 49 52 20 2D 20 4F 6E 6C 79 00 00 0C   ion IR - Only...
 00 00 00 D9 FF 00 00 DA 00 00 01 35 FF 00 01 36   ...Ùÿ..Ú...5ÿ..6
 00 00 01 3F FF 02 00 BF 40 FF FF 6D 70 6D 7A 70   ...?ÿ..¿@ÿÿmpmzp
 B3 C9                                             ³É             

The remote I have is this one:
http://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Replacement_Remote_p/cm-7500xrc2.htm

Is there a specific RDF file I need to download?

I tried editing the protocols.ini file from this post:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13826

Anyone offer any insight?
Many thanks.
Erds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Channel Master DVR+ New Remotes Reply with quote

Hi All,

Newbie here.
I bought a replacement DVR+ remote along with a second DVR+ unit that also came with a new remote. I was dissapointed to find that the new remotes do not support the address change function needed when you have two DVR+ units you want to control independently in the same room. The old original remote did support this function. Channel Master had no support on this issue as of late. They suggested using a Harmony remote.
This compelled me to find a solution in which brought me to this site.
The new remotes are actually a variant of UEI's URC-5010 Fusion IR QWERTY model without the QWERTY keyboard on the underside of the remote. I found this information by opening the remote and it was stamped on the PC board. I don't believe there is an RDF file yet to use with RM but I need to restore the second remote's data which I lost using a master reset function 981 playing around. Don't attempt this or you will lose the DVR+ control. The 977 cfg restore will not bring it back. I plan to use IR.exe to get the raw data from the working remote and restore back if it will work.
I still need to buy a JP1.x cable to try this. The JP1 socket opening is 6mm x12mm so I may need a socket extender to plug the cable in. Then maybe I can find a way to change the address on the second remote. I'm sure I will need help later. Anyone with insight on this is welcome.
Thanks....Al.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any progress has been made adding this remote to Remote Master. Furthermore, I can't find any info about the protocol parameters for different remote addresses. However, if you have an old CM remote and a learning remote with JP1 cable, then you can simply change the address and learn one command. Then we can build an upgrade file for that address.

The caveat is that is that you'd have to use the upgrade on a different JP1 remote. But many models are available for $3 any up from various sources.

Several of our members probably have a DVR+ and could do this as well. I don't have one myself.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's make sure we know which remote is being discussed. The OP refers to a remote with signature 255504, and this will blink back 25554 in response to a 983 command. We do have a RDF for 255504. So Erds should try the 983 command before worrying about getting a different JP1 remote.

I don't own a DVR+, but I do own the remote. BTW, IR.exe won't work with this remote; RMIR is required. Furthermore, it uses a MAXQ processor, so be sure to get a cable with a FTDI chip. Ones based on the Prolific chipset won't work.
Erds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,

Yes, the blink back is 25554 from the 983 command.
Diygaget sells an FTDI cable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We strongly recommend the FTDI cable sold on ebay by chip_partner, which is under $10 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

Connection details are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
Erds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robman!

I'll gladly listen to your expert advise.
This is going to be interesting. I was not sure of the JP1.x version. The newer remotes pcbs are design dated 2012. I will reference the pin out also. At least pin 1 is marked on the remote. I do have an identical new remote that comes only addressed to device 001 plus the old original remote, which is not a JP1 unit that I addressed to device 002 for the newer DVR+ unit. I wanted to make sure the newer DVR+ unit would respond to the older device 002 change routine performed with the old remote which it does. I know the older remote will die someday and I wanted to be sure to to have the ability to to have backed up remote data. Page up, page down, and the OK key codes are important due to the fact they are used to change addressing then pair the unit to the remote. The DVR+ needs that remote to change which address it will listen to.
My opinion is that Channel Master shot themselves in the foot here cutting off repeat customers. They make a great, intuitive and stable OTA DVR, which is why I bought another after two years, but didn't care enough maintain remote functions on new remotes for customers that may want more than one unit.
What a waste of ingenuity.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the contents of the 255504 remote. It was delivered with an upgrade with setup code Cable 3465 which is NEC1-rnc 1.254 with OBCs in the range from 2 to 44. This is the expected IR protocol for the DVR+. We'll have to figure out what changes are required to switch unit numbers.
Erds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered an FTDI cable from Ebay and still looking for a cheap JP1.x learning remote.
In the meantime, I have experimented with the old OEM Channel Master remote to develop an idea on how the device address change works. The original remote was manufactured by SMK dated 2013.
When simultaneously pressing "page up" and "page down" buttons within 12" of the DVR+ unit you want to control, two things happen. The remote readies itself for a new device number sequence to be entered such as 001 or 002 etc. At the same time, it sends a command to the DVR+ unit to also ready itself for that number. The remote must be reassigning itself internally all button commands to the new address.
Once the address is entered, pressing "page up" and "OK" buttons confirms the change on both the remote internally and the DVR+ unit.
I confirmed the internal change in the remote by doing the same thing out of sight of the DVR+ units and can alternate control between 001 or 002 devices without affecting either unit's addresses. I'm guessing most OEM remotes do the same thing for their respective devices.
I tried to use the new UEI remote's "page up" and "page down" near the device to see if it would open the address change on the unit which it wouldn't. They are assigned also to the channel plus and minus.
I am hoping the learning remote will pick up the code for the simultaneous key combinations from the SMK remote so that the DVR+ device change and set commands can be recorded and used in the future if needed. Then I would have to find a way to set all remote commands to transmit that address.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry. Once we identify the difference between the two addresses, you'll simply apply a second setup code once we load the second upgrade. You obviously can't use the same steps as the old remote uses.

The key combos are a red herring in this case. They can't be captured by learning since they are internal to the operation of the remote. All we need is the resulting signal after you've selected the second code.

How cheap must your learning remote be? Perhaps we can offer some guidance.
Erds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure cheap is under $20 but what ever is a reliable remote compatible with an RDF already that exists here. I am interested in learning and experimenting with this technology as a worthwhile venture. So anything that would would make it the most straightforward approach to learning. I'm new and realize i haven't even scratched the surface of what I need to know. I just like to make things work as they should. I have been browsing the web and am finding that a lot of Channel Master customers are not impressed by the loss of features with these new remotes.
Great site here. Hope you guys keep going.

Thanks,

Al. (Erds)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't personally vouch for this seller, but here's a nice one for under $8 shipped. Alternatively, I could give you a lot of 4 learning JP1 remotes (various models) for $20 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-For-All-Universal-4-Device-Remote-Control-OARUSB04G-/232168443756
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several ways to go here.
1) RCA RCRP05B Uses 6 pin interface cable
2) OARUSB04G Uses microUSB, and can accept upgrades from Simpleset.com
3) Various Xsight remotes. Uses a mini USB cable, and has a LCD display. Lots of people like them, but my impression is that reliability is suspect. However, these are a good choice if you make it your primary remote. mdavej can provide info on how to get one.
4) IR capture devices, like the IR Widget or IRToy These aren't remotes, but typically can do a better job of capturing odd IR signals since they don't attempt to categorize the IR signal.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Several ways to go here.
1) RCA RCRP05B Uses 6 pin interface cable
2) OARUSB04G Uses microUSB, and can accept upgrades from Simpleset.com
3) Various Xsight remotes. Uses a mini USB cable, and has a LCD display. Lots of people like them, but my impression is that reliability is suspect. However, these are a good choice if you make it your primary remote. mdavej can provide info on how to get one.
4) IR capture devices, like the IR Widget or IRToy These aren't remotes, but typically can do a better job of capturing odd IR signals since they don't attempt to categorize the IR signal.
+1 for OARUSB04G (/URC6440 for UK) because of JP1 and the comprehensive and easy-to-use extender, which allows the buttons to be used without restriction.
Also because the required micro-USB lead is supplied, it has back light, and the extender includes variable pause.
'Only' 45 buttons cf. RCA RCRP05B but they are large and comfortable and the extender gives 12 devices, shift and x-shift.
Erds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a new RCA RCRP05BR remote. I wanted to stay with theJP.x interface so I can use the same FTDI cable I have ordered from ebay. The cable should work with the two Channel Master upgrade remotes I have.
I see that the RDF files exist for the RCA remote. Got the remote at Amazon Prime for about 11 bucks. One of the Amazon reviews for the remote praised this site on how versatile he was able to make this remote with the help of the experts here.
Just waiting now for the items to deliver. The ebay cable is going to take the longest to get here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: